Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cure for being gay

Options
  • 08-04-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Did anyone watch the CNN report last night about converting gays into straights, very interesting stuff , apparantly it does work for some though it's a bit controversial with just as many nay sayers as believers. It was a bit strange hearing the ex -gays tell their stories of how they were cured and are now happily straight and married.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Do you think if you went to a camp farm for long enough they could make you Gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

suppresion is not the same as a cure............

the only reason i dont believe it can happen is as mentioned above i dont see any way i can be made to be attracted to men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

PeakOutput wrote:
    suppression is not the same as a cure............
    If the end result is that the affliction is suppressed then for the duration of the suppression you can be considered cured of the symptoms.

As for bostons question, the answer to that depends on if homosexuality is neurological in nature or physiological. I’m under the impression that most people here would be of the former opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

MooseJam wrote:
    Did anyone watch the CNN report last night about converting gays into straights, very interesting stuff , apparantly it does work for some though it's a bit controversial with just as many nay sayers as believers. It was a bit strange hearing the ex -gays tell their stories of how they were cured and are now happily straight and married.

I'm sorry i missed this. Did you get the impression they were under pressure from friends/family to be 'normal'?

Stuff like this makes me sad.

Suppression is only a temporary measure. Hiding the 'symptoms' does not mean they are not there. I imagine there is a lot of inner turmoil involved.

They are essentially denying who they are, most likely to please others. Its like a sleeping volcano.

If the end result is that the affliction is suppressed then for the duration of the suppression you can be considered cured of the symptoms.

As for bostons question, the answer to that depends on if homosexuality is neurological in nature or physiological. I’m under the impression that most people here would be of the former opinion.

I believe you can brain wash people into believing what ever you want, especially if there open to being manipulated. There's numerous examples of this where cults convince their membership that their leader can walk on water or come back from the dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 imonboards

Always amazes me these 'cures' (which asserts being gay is a disease) all seem to come from middle bible belt america.

Where it's ok to marry your cousin and father your own grandfather ;) but wrong to be gay.

In a country supposedly founded on the bones of freedom - it seems its flesh is made up of layers of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I haven't seen the show in question, but homosexuality was seen as a mental illness for much of the last 100 years. They tried to 'cure' gay people. It just didn't work. Every failure is evidence that you can't change someone's sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

imonboards wrote:
    Always amazes me these 'cures' (which asserts being gay is a disease) all seem to come from middle bible belt america.

Where it's ok to marry your cousin and father your own grandfather ;) but wrong to be gay.

In a country supposedly founded on the bones of freedom - it seems its flesh is made up of layers of hypocrisy.
    Very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I suppose though that this brainwashing to make someone straight would only happen if they wanted to be straight.
    the answer to that depends on if homosexuality is neurological in nature or physiological

I think that it's both physiological, as in hormonal and also out of certain conditioning. Conditioning will leave you pre-disposed to homosexuality just as much as it will to heterosexuality, but your own inherent orientation I think is always the deciding factor. Hence why this 'cure' is just suppression. As if these people will never ever have another homosexual thought again after the 'cure'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

MooseJam wrote:
    Well, I hope they'll be making a cure for bigotry soon as that'd be a lot more useful!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm sure people have read how many "staright" fathers "came out" that they're gay, saying that due to the thinking at the time that you just get married to a woman, no two ways about it.

Many of them will probably come out in 30 or so years.
    Boston wrote:
    Do you think if you went to a camp farm for long enough they could make you Gay?
    Depends on your age. Look at how many people got f*cked up in their heads due to the Irish priests molesting them. Some grew up wondering if they were straight or gay. Lock anyone up and tell them only one thing, and they may admit to it if its the only way to get free.

=-=

On another note, I wonder how many of the "converted" will kill themselves in the next 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

Its a whole load of bolony.

You can't cure it oor get rid of it. Past attempts like EST and lobotomies have proven that it just doesn't work.

Great movie to watch about this kinda crap is "But i'm a cheerleader" takes the piss at the whole idea.

the_syco wrote:
    I'm sure people have read how many "staright" fathers "came out" that they're gay, saying that due to the thinking at the time that you just get married to a woman, no two ways about it.

Many of them will probably come out in 30 or so years.
    Indeed time will tell.

Although if homosexuality behaviour has a known neurological or physiological reason then the possibility exists that medical science may one day (assuming in this case it hasn't already) effect a cure, as is the case for other many neurological conditions. The ethics of such a treatment are a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

me87_ie wrote:
    You can't cure it oor get rid of it. Past attempts like EST and lobotomies have proven that it just doesn't work.
    Lobotomies never cured anything, the fact that they don't cure homosexuality doesn't mean that it can't be cured.
    I think the Iranians are on the right track nyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Of course they will turn them into productive members of society..like the Phelps family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I think the Iranians are on the right track nyway.
    Explain this please.

It was just pointed out to me how my comment could be interpreted. I was referring to Iranian efforts to use hormones to cure homosexuality, as if there is a "cure" (I'm not saying there is) then it is most likely hormonal in nature. I was not referring to the two boys who were killed.

Cite?

Boston wrote:
    Cite?
    While it doesnt deal with Iran per say (DUBAI in this case).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10218234/

As for the research there's a brief overview in the register article and the benefit it can potentially bring to the agricultural industry. Curing humans is not the intent of the project and unwarranted.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/02/sheep_research/

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying that I support Iran's actions, I'm saying that hormones are the most likely way to permanently adjust someone's sexuality, without involving some kind of denial. I am saying this only as a hypothetical scenario. I do not support forcible injecting homosexuals with hormones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying that I support Iran's actions, I'm saying that hormones are the most likely way to permanently adjust someone's sexuality, without involving some kind of denial. I am saying this only as a hypothetical scenario. I do not support forcible injecting homosexuals with hormones.
    Hormone treatments have been used widely in the past on homosexual "patients", and are famously, catastrophically ineffective. Alan Turing was a noted victim of such a medical misadventure.

Alan Turing
    Turing was a homosexual[2] during a period when homosexual acts were illegal in England and homosexuality was regarded as a mental illness. In 1952, Arnold Murray, a 19-year-old recent acquaintance of his[16] helped an accomplice to break into Turing's house, and Turing went to the police to report the crime. As a result of the police investigation, Turing acknowledged a sexual relationship with Murray, and they were charged with gross indecency under Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act of 1885. Turing was unrepentant and was convicted. He was given the choice between imprisonment and probation, conditional on him undergoing hormonal treatment designed to reduce libido. In order to avoid going to jail, he accepted the oestrogen hormone injections, which lasted for a year, with side effects including the development of breasts. His conviction led to a removal of his security clearance and prevented him from continuing consultancy for GCHQ on cryptographic matters.
    On June 8, 1954, his cleaner found his lifeless body; the previous day, he had died of cyanide poisoning, apparently from a cyanide-laced apple he left half-eaten beside his bed. The apple itself was never tested for contamination with cyanide, and cyanide poisoning as a cause of death was established by a post-mortem. Most believe that his death was intentional, and the death was ruled a suicide. His mother, however, strenuously argued that the ingestion was accidental due to his careless storage of laboratory chemicals. Biographer Andrew Hodges suggests that Turing may have killed himself in this ambiguous way quite deliberately, to give his mother some plausible deniability.[17] Because Turing's homosexuality would have been perceived as a security risk, the possibility of assassination has also been suggested.[18] His remains were cremated at Woking crematorium on June 12, 1954.

Thats mad.

:confused: Why give him oestrogen? Everything I remember from LC biology tells me that that makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Transsexuals receive all sorts of hormone treatments when preparing to transition into the body of their chosen gender. I've heard of no cases where their sexuality changed as a result of the hormones.

The only time hormones would be likely to have an effect is during the early stages of brain development.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Yep I think you would have to be injecting pregnant women in order for hormones to have any effect on person's sexuality.

The_Minister: At a guess I'd imagine that it had something to do with women not being sexualised back then, and seen as not enjoying sex. Thus female hormones would lower a mans desires for sex. Thats justa guess though.
    MicraBoy wrote:
    Yep I think you would have to be injecting pregnant women in order for hormones to have any effect on person's sexuality.

But what hormones, and aren't you simply more likely to just really mess up the baby physically and mentally with that type of carry on.

I can't help but think that this hormone business is pandering to the so called effeminate stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

But what hormones, and aren't you simply more likely to just really mess up the baby physically and mentally with that type of carry on.

Testosterone...but yes I agree it's NOT something I think is a good idea.

I seem to recall that there is a link between doses of testosterone the mother gives to the baby at certain points in its development that is linked to gender dysphoria. So essentially its a hormonal "problem" in the mother rather than the child, because the child grows up hormonally "normal".

I think there is also a link to sexual orientation as well. This may be theoretical rather than proven. And I haven't the foggiest how this fits into the gay gene theory either....I should stop typing now.

MicraBoy wrote:
    Testosterone...but yes I agree it's something I think is a good idea.

I seem to recall that there is a link between doses of testosterone the mother gives to the baby at certain points in its development that is linked to gender dysphoria. So essentially its a hormonal "problem" in the mother rather than the child, because the child grows up hormonally "normal".

I think there is also a link to sexual orientation as well. This may be theoretical rather than proven. And I haven't the foggiest how this fits into the gay gene theory either....I should stop typing now.

Hmm, I remember some study showing gay men had on average higher levels of testosterone then hetro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I remember that study too. Apparently we're supposed to have longer index fingers than ring fingers as a result. And larger penises too apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

And larger penises too apparently.
    I always wondered why that was the case.

Advertisement