Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael McDowell, a Dictator?

Options
  • 09-04-2007 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Just wondering really, but does anyone else feel that since Michael McDowell became the leader of the Progressive Democrats, does anyone feel that he has become a dictator under a severe regime. It's something I've noticed of late and it's very scary to see it happening.

I'd hate to see him as taoiseach for the simple reason that he would turn into a second hitler. Would it be for the good or worse?

~NevF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

No, he's not a dictator. He's a democratically-elected representative. He's part of one of the smallest parties on the island, there's no real danger of him being taoiseach any time soon.

Just the other day he agreed to change his tack on the Criminal Justice Bill and allow for more debate on the contentious issues.

He's a terrible politician. He's not a dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Ibid wrote:
    Just the other day he agreed to change his tack on the Criminal Justice Bill and allow for more debate on the contentious issues.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The whole episode has been a complete total and utter shambles from start to finish. He has made a late token gesture which I don't believe he will even follow through on. It's getting complicated on the calling of the election with the constitutional problems but I don't believe they will be back after Easter recess. Dáil reform anyone?!?

In terms of McDowell being a dictator. I would join the PDs in the right circumstances. A) They lose McDowell. B) They distance themselves from Fianna Fail.

I pray to every god there is every day that he loses his seat in my constituency. The guy is only bleedin' scary. I doubt they would even have him back in the Four Courts. Maybe he's into gardening or something and he can chill out for a while on his early pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder about the age of some on this board, this is a dictator

and this is what dictators do.

Close this thread now.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement