Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tatoos in Galway

Options
  • 09-04-2007 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting a half-sleeve done. I'm moving to Galway in the summer so I was wondering what places in Galway people would recommend for a tribal tattoo on my lower arm. I've heard of a few places on this site(metalworks and Irish inks) so whichever would be recommended unless neither are any good and I should go to Dublin,ideally though, I'd prefer Galway as I live nearby.
    I think I'll get a henna done first to see how I feel about it, so does the shop offer hennas too?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KittyPage

My fiance' will be over in Galway working at MetalWorks from April 19th through June 17th. His name is Jack and you can check out some of his stuff here
    www.artisantattoos.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Thanks, but sadly he leaves before I arrive in the county
    Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey singloud
    I would defo recommend Metalworks on Shop Street
    My girlfriends brother came up last week for a back piece and they were very professional and patient.
    Check it out here

Is that the place near the Army Surplus store?
    How much would a half sleeve tattoo cost about?

And I have to say I like the tattoo on the blog :D

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

hi
    i would advise u to check out irish ink back the west, my husband and i own it, we are open tuesdays thru to sat 11-6
    lots of flash to chose from, prices reasonable and work excellent, galways longest running tattoo shop:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

if i was to pick i'd def go with irish ink, got my sleeve done in metalworks it didnt turn out good luckily got it finished and fixed properly in limerick.

Cheers mate, where exactly is it?I know Galway pretty well but not street names

Also how much did your sleeve cost

well it was pretty cheap in metalworks but then again i was traveling up from limerick to get it so ive paid a bit from getting it done in there and then getting it fixed and finished here so i paid about 5-600 maybe more with travel im not sure exactly where irish ink are located but liz2000 can help you, even irish ink wouldnt fix my sleeve cause of the people that have gotten stuff done in metalworks have come to them so much so metalworks is a no no in my books, seen some good stuff from irish ink though.

How much was the sleeve the first time you had it done?

it was never finished so i cant tell you exactly it was about 350 - 400 i think, but im not fully sure

• Advertisement

Was this a full sleeve like?

no no its only a half, although i wish i had gotten it started and finished in TATTOO in limerick theyre so good, getting my other arm done there in a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 olly

Irish Ink is just off Dominic st in Galway and seems like a pretty nice set up! :) i got my tattoo done in Metalworks by Kate last year and i still love it but as far as i know, she's gone abroad now!

Wheres that? I'm awful with street names, but I know landmarks and stuff.

down by Róisín Dubh if i remember correctly, its off to the left past the pub!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Something-Wkd

I got my tattoo done in Metal Works a few years ago. The guy that did it was fantastic but I've heard that he left for 'professional reasons'. Since I got my tattoo done I've heard a lot of bad press about Metal w]Works so I'd prob go with Irish Ink.

Cheers for all the help people.
    How long does a half sleeve generally take/cost.
    Any ball park estimate would be greatly appreciated

it depends on the detail, blackwork vs colour etc, your best bet would be to go into the studio, tell the tattooist what your lookin for and ask him for a ballpark figure coz they vary from studio to studio! take a look at their portfolio while your in there too to make sure their style of work is what your after!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 csamick33

liz2000 wrote: »
    hi
    i would advise u to check out irish ink back the west, my husband and i own it, we are open tuesdays thru to sat 11-6
    lots of flash to chose from, prices reasonable and work excellent, galways longest running tattoo shop:)

i will be in Galway Sep 5, 6, 7, 8, 2008 and i'm wondering if we need a reservation to obtain a tattoo at this shop. Also how do we contact you and how do we get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

hi
    we are located in william st west down the very end of the city, ask anyone where the blue note pub is and we are directly opposite that, we are open from tues to sat from 11-6
    Check out our website for contact details at www.irishinktattoo.com
    u dont always need reservations but if u are on a tight schedule its best to come to us as early as possible so as to check out what it is u want done and book a time to suit u from there:)
    hope this was of some use
    thanks
    liz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ally101

does any1 know the price of tongue piercings in metal works or if irish ink do piercings? i will be in galway on wednesday so if any1 can help before then it would be great. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

From irish inks website tongue piercings are 50e. Metalworks isn't around anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Metalworks has been taken over by G's Tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

im so sick of hearing about metalworks and irish ink in relation to any tattoo work carried out in galway. there is some serious talent around here....

Just out of curiosity who would you say is the most talented in Galway BlastedGlute? I'm in the process of getting a tattoo in Galway at the mo and am just curious?

There's 2 shops that currently have fantastic ARTISTS working in house right now, oddly enough both shops are right next to eachother, Ink Fingers Custom Tattoo and the one across the way from it I forget the name right now. I've had work done over the last year by sean ricketts in custom tattoo, him and his team of 4 artists are bloody talented. And across the road there is a southern american chap with 1 or two people working for him, i cant vouch for them but he is really really good to. I've seen nothing but pre school rubbish coming out of those other shops for years now and it ****in sickens me. Pop in and have a look at portfolios

here's a link to a facebook photoalbum of seans work. the other guys are really awesome to but seans portfolio is probably the broadest online, youd have to into the store to check out the others guys complete material! http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=188282&id=269342804618

I hope you find what your looking for. Im so sick and tired of people booking with half assed underskilled, and seriously non artistic tattoo "artists" who overcharge and couldnt care less once they get paid. Galway needs a new face of tattooing and the talent is there just waiting to be discovered by all! ^^

I'm getting mine done by Steve in inkfingers at the minute and it is beautiful. Sean is doing my boyfriends and the colours are amazing. The guys there are fantastic I couldn't recommend them high enough, was just curious as to what others thought! :)

Meant to say thanks for the links blastedglute, I myself get sick of people not ranking the tattoo artists in Galway because there is some really fantastic artists around town.

• Advertisement

wayhey thats class to hear! you know what im talking about so. Im not going to get into slinging mud or naming names but we all know that galwegians and people travelling here to get work done have been ripped off by bad artists for a long time. I have quite a bit of work done by now with a full sleeve so people ask me where i got it done etc. And then they insist on showing me their work by the more well known people in galway and its muck. Its embarrassing sometimes to say yeah you probably shouldnt go there anymore, and be met with a response like "their really sound", im sure they are with your money in their pockets like. :/ sorry,rant over!

Advertisement