Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[pregnancy] how much weight gain?

Options
  • 09-04-2007 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Girls as we dont have a pregnancy forum i'm wondering if i can ask this here. Its just out of curiousity and not looking for medical advice by any means.

Just wondering how much weight you all put on in the first trimester?

Havent put any on in the last couple of weeks but i put on almost a stone in the first few weeks. My hips increased almost 4 inches yet the jellybean is just normal size for his age (I'm 12 and a half weeks) :eek:

Now i wouldnt consider dieting obviously but i heard it is actually bad to put on too much weight?

Havent been eating a hell of a lot extra, been just as active as usual.

The only major difference is i gave up beer, which i used to drink almost every night. My Mum reckons i am huge and carrying a lot of water whatever that means.

I was elephant like on my 1st and he was quite big at birth.

How big were you and how big were your babies in comparison :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 littlemissbusy

I think every pregnancy is different,on my first child, I was small enough, put on about 2 stone and it came off really quickly. On my second child, I just went over the top a little, although I was small (didn't show until 6m+), towards the end I put on about 2 stone and have only lost about 1 stone (in eight months). I would personally advice that you listen to your own body. Eat healthy when you are hungry and snack on fruits throughout the day. Don't get too hung up about the weight gain.
    hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

3 pregnancies all different - first one put on no wieght until third trimester then put on about 30lbs, was in reg clothes until about week 17-18
    2nd pregnancy put on weigth immediately couldn't wait to get into preg clothes - everything was tight by week 6. Again put on a bout 20lbs or so. Third pregnancy - puked from day I concieved - lost almost a stone in first trimester. Altogether only put on 9lbs and gave birth to a 9lb 3oz baby and was huge in spite of no weigth increase! Six mnths later although about 10lbs below pre pregnancy weigth have a very flabby tummy driving me nuts. On all 3 pregnancies I was tested foe gestational diabetes cos I was so big, but negative each time. Putting on too much weight is bad for you and babs - but don't diet - just eat as healthily as possible. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thanks! Wow 9lb baby :eek:

Dont get me wrong i'm not pushed appearance wise about the weight. But in saying that it is weird watching yourself grow from a 10 to a 16+ in a matter of weeks (on the bottom half!!). I wouldnt mind if it was a bump but its pure flab around the hips :o And i dunno if you'll know what i mean but i feel bloated like a balloon, rather than someone just putting on normal weight.

I think i might mention it at my appointment in the hospital on wednesday anyway.

Found out about pregnancy early at 3 weeks. By week 5 nothing fit me. I mean nothing, not even my knickers :D

Now i'm just going around like a hobo, everyday its the same scenario, cant find/dont have anything to wear.

i'm a bit scared to buy a load of maternity clothes just in case due to previous experiences and i have found them quite expensive and not that easy to come by tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Haha... could be twins !! Failing that I would put my money on a boy. I put my weight all around my hips on my son, where as it was in front for the two girls.

You may find that you put on very little more weight .. to be honest I would be inclinded to mention it at the hospital appointment, you may be suffering from fluid retention. Meanwhile up your water intake to about 2 litres a day.

You may find that your peeing more ... but your going a lot in the early stages of pregnancy anyway..!!

Dunnes do a good trousers that are very strechy, think they are called stretch pants actually, they come in navy or black and are only 15 euro. I got through my last pregnancy in them, they seem to shrink back with washing... And then there are loads of good smock type tops around at the moment. great for pregnant ladies.

There is a good choice of maternity now, Dorothy Perkins, Next, Dunnes, all do good ranges.

And in case you though a 9lb baby was big my youngest weighed in at 10.3 ... my neice was 10.8 and my sisters friend had a baby last year at 12.5 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jacy

As an expectant mother of six I've got pregnancy weight gain down to a science but every pregnancy IS different.

This pregnancy I gained 13 pounds in my first trimester and then only 5 pounds in the 2nd trimester. If you want to balance out the weight gain and not have a huge baby(9+ pounds) don't eat alot of carbohydrates in your last trimester. By then the baby is already formed and a fair size. After 32 weeks most of the weight you put on is going to YOU not the baby. I'm at 39 weeks and have gained 30 pounds but I did have 2 pregnancies where I gained 50.

I figure if I get 9 months to eat what ever I want and not feel guilty I'm taking advantage of it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Only had the 1 so far... was pretty normal with weight gain for the first few months. My sis was pregnant at the same time as me, but 6 mths ahead. she was tiny, when she was 8 mths she had to TELL people she was pregnant as she honestly didnt really show!Her Baby was healthy 7lbs and arrived on due date. I was looking at her and seeing how we're sisters, both wore size 8 clothes (my sis wore an ordinary size 10 dress to a wedding at 8 mths!!) I expected to be the same as her weight wise. Come 8 mths I was HUGE!! I had no extra weight anywhere except my belly and boobs and I looked ridiculous! I was measuring ahead for dates and at 35 weeks was taken in for a scan, amniotic fluid was a bit high but baby was fine (TG). He came on due date and was 9lbs on the button. Was a huge shock as no baby in my family was over 8lbs, then I heard all dh's family were whopping babies!
    Dont worry about your weight, eat healthily and youll be fine, enjoy every min of it, youll lose any extra weight as soon as they start crawling - Ive lost a stone in the last month without even trying, all bec I have a little mister whose into EVERYTHING! best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

You will gain a healthy amount of weight in pregnancy but how much?

You need to know you Body Mass Index or BMI. Your doctor or pregnancy nurse should help you work it out.

Your weight gain is individual and It depends on your height and weight, or body mass index (BMI), before you conceived.

If your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height as advised by your doctor (a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9), you will probably gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 2 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of the pregnancy for the optimal growth of your baby.

If you have been underweight for your height at baby's conception (a BMI below 18.5), you should gain 28 to 40 pounds. If you were overweight, (a BMI of 25 to 29.9), you should gain 15 to 25 pounds. If you were obese (a BMI of 30 or higher), you should gain no more than 15 pounds. If you're having twins you should gain about 35 to 45 pounds. If you fall into any of these four categories, talk to your Doctor about how much you should safely gain each month.

And girls just watch the pounds fall away after the birth as you tear after your little one :}

Thanks!!

Think my bmi was either 20 or 22 was was average weight.

Jesus dont mention 12lb babies just now i am faint hearted :D

Every woman says every pregnancy is different so will just have to see what happens. Will mention it to nurse on wednesday though just in case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Ah well to be fair... I delivered my 10+pounder with no stitches... and I am on the short side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

aparently it's your shoe suze that reflects your pelvis. i'm a size 3 and needed an epesiotomy delivering my 6 lb 9 son 4 months ago. i was very lucky and didn't put on much weight at all, so little that doctors were worried and sent me for emergency scan but he is perfect and healthy. don't woory bout it, your doctor would have said it to you if he was worried but do say it on wednesday as you are planning to.
    also it might be worth mentioning i am normally very healthy eater of fruit and veg mostly, for the whole 9 month the thought of them made me sick and i ate loads of bread, mcdonalds, meat and coke and felt so guilty for the lack of nutrients but couldn't help it.
    congradulations trinity, all the best

• Advertisement

aparently it's your shoe suze that reflects your pelvis. i'm a size 3 and needed an epesiotomy delivering my 6 lb 9 son 4 months ago. i was very lucky and didn't put on much weight at all, so little that doctors were worried and sent me for emergency scan but he is perfect and healthy. don't woory bout it, your doctor would have said it to you if he was worried but do say it on wednesday as you are planning to.
    also it might be worth mentioning i am normally very healthy eater of fruit and veg mostly, for the whole 9 month the thought of them made me sick and i ate loads of bread, mcdonalds, meat and coke and felt so guilty for the lack of nutrients but couldn't help it.
    congradulations trinity, all the best
    I craved cheesburgers and coke my whole pregnancy - normally practically vegtarian - eat fish/chicken once a week and I gag at the thought of either cheesburgers or coke when not preggars :rolleyes:

Thanks! They weight gained has steadied and my tummy is rounding out now. I was 13 weeks when i went to my appointment but they changed it to 14 weeks cos baba is big.

have to admit my cravings havent been too healthy either. First couple of weeks it was cheese and pickles which i normally cant stand. This was my first indication i was pregnant yet it was before period was even due never mind missed. Then once or twice i wanted sprouts but past few weeks i have to deny my cravings sometimes (but not all the time :) ) cos its all for kebabs and chinese although thankfully thats died out too.

On my son i craved fish the whole time and couldnt stomach chocolate. When not pregnant i am the opposite!

Had a good scan anyway. Was worried sick the night before but there was baby on the screen doing somersaults and headbutting a blood vessell so that was a relief, i think :D

Trinity1 wrote:
    Thanks! They weight gained has steadied and my tummy is rounding out now. I was 13 weeks when i went to my appointment but they changed it to 14 weeks cos baba is big.

have to admit my cravings havent been too healthy either. First couple of weeks it was cheese and pickles which i normally cant stand. This was my first indication i was pregnant yet it was before period was even due never mind missed. Then once or twice i wanted sprouts but past few weeks i have to deny my cravings sometimes (but not all the time :) ) cos its all for kebabs and chinese although thankfully thats died out too.

On my son i craved fish the whole time and couldnt stomach chocolate. When not pregnant i am the opposite!

Had a good scan anyway. Was worried sick the night before but there was baby on the screen doing somersaults and headbutting a blood vessell so that was a relief, i think :D

It's great seeing the peanut f the first scan isn't it - best of luck for the rest of the pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 schnoodles

Hi all,

I was delighted to see this forum. I am 11 and a half weeks pregnant, it is my first pregnancy so everything is all new for me.

As soon as i found out i was pregnant i stopped smoking, have been trying to give up for age's, but this finally made up my mind for me. not that i'm finding it easy, but there is no way i'm giving into them.
    I have put on nearly a stone in weight so far, and already people are asking me am i pregnant, i keep thinking what size will i be in a couple of months. It is all flab, and to be honest it is really getting me down, i couldn't wait to get pregnant and both of us are delighted, and yet here i am moaning about it,which i feel so bad about. Most of my friends have had babies and keep saying oh it's definetley twins, but it's not.

Is it too soon to buy maternity clothes????

schnoodles wrote:
    Hi all,

Is it too soon to buy maternity clothes????

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable - there's loads of smock type tops in the shops anyway at the moment so you don't necessarily need to look like you're in maternity gear. Get yourself a pair of maternity trousers that have an adjustable waist - that way you can wear them just a little bit bigger than your normal trousers and go to serious bump size later on :p

Best of luck with the pregnancy - on my first I went into maternity gear at about 18 weeks on my second held my breath and sucked it all in till about 13 weeks on third i could have done with being in maternity trousers before I took the test :o

Advertisement