Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might be made get rid of dog. Need help please

Options
  • 09-04-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi, i posted here before and you we're very helpful. I have a 16mth old cross and the problem with him is that he poo's an incredible amount maybe 15 times a day they are nearly liquid, he is also very skinny around his hind legs ie hips he shares the back with a 6yr old springer spaniel who also has the same problem. Its ust that they are sick and tired of having to clean up after them. I m bringing them to the vet on friday. thaey are feed dry food along with wet food and also scraps. we have tried changing ther feed this hasnt helped. Thanks a million can really use some advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Have you wormed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Your dogs could just have a digestive problem which the vet can give you special food for, theres not much in this food but it gives time for the problem to ease and you reintroduce their old food slowly, antibiotics sometimes work too esp if theres blood in stools. I presume you worm your dogs every 3 months - an infestation can cause runny stools and they arent always visible in stools. Either way go to vet as its not normal for dogs to have runny stools and defo not a reason to get rid of them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Thanks for the quick replies, yes we have wormed them maaybe the tablets arent strong enough will ask the vet for some, could be interested in those anti biotics? What are the signs of worms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Diarrhoea and a swollen abdomen with weight loss can be indicitave of worms. You should use a wormer about twice yearly that is effective for roundworm and tapeworm. If your dog has fleas you should check for tapeworm since fleas can transmit tapeworm. Do you use regular spot on flea treatments?

What kind of scraps are you feeding it?

Feeding it a high quality diet, preferably of dry food, should reduce the incidence of tummy upsets, and you can get special formulations for sensitive stomachs. You can get feed now that prevents odourous faeces.

This problem should be easily treated and should be seen to quickly as it sounds as if your dog is very undernourished and possibly dehydrated. Make sure they have water at all times until you see a vet.

This shouldn't be a reason to get rid of your dogs and once you've dealt with the problem and put them on a good diet they should be like normal dogs again. Try to get him to the vet sooner than Friday IMO, dehydration can cause serious problems very fast if left untreated and he may need IV fluid therapy, especially if he's weak. Bring both your dogs to the vets so that they can be both looked at. If you had the runs 15 times a day you'd be feeling pretty awful by now and I'm sure that your dogs are too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Hi Anxious

No expert but i'd also advise taking them to the vet asap.

it seems if both dogs of differeent breeds and ages have the same thing its most likely diet/worms or perhaps something in the back garden?

have you put anything down like weeder or something that could have come in contact with?

Vet may say cut out scraps. Too much salt is bad for dogs.

Anyway best of luck, i dont think you will have to get rid of them. I imagine its something easily fixed *fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

Stop feeding the scraps and maybe focus on feeding the dogs a complete dry dog food, My dogs used to be similar when i gave them scraps and tinned food, since i changed they do perfect stools and its real easy to clean up after them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Schlemm wrote:
    Try to get him to the vet sooner than Friday IMO, dehydration can cause serious problems very fast if left untreated and he may need IV fluid therapy, especially if he's weak. Bring both your dogs to the vets so that they can be both looked at. If you had the runs 15 times a day you'd be feeling pretty awful by now and I'm sure that your dogs are too!

seconded and thirded ...

hurry up !

Thanks very much i have taken all your advice on board and have booked a vets appoitment, i will up date you withy developments thanks

Thanks for all your replys we took him to the vet and recommened we change his food so he is now on red mills thanks again-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

Has it just happen or is it just resent that they have had they problem? does it have a bad smell? If it has just been resent it could be provo but it can kill. If it has not try boiled rice and chicken, nothing else this can settle the stomach. also don,t over feed. I had the same problem with my huskies. they are as upset. Read the food. If it is dry complete food. weigh there food out for there weight. Don't give any thing else. If you want to use wet food then give a mixer. Again don't over feed. if you get there stomachs settled first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement