Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokias new charger

• 09-04-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

as i'm sure we all know nokia changed their charger a while ago. it used to be that you could go into pretty much any house in the country and charge your nokia but not anymore. now i have to carry around that little adapter if i know my battery's going to die.

and i had to buy that adapter because the two chargers i had broke because the new connection is so small and flimsy. and now that adapter only works at a certain angle because its broken too. its not just me, i work in a phone shop and people regularly come in wanting new ones.

the pop port next to it is the same size it always was so they can't be saving any more than half a millimetre on the size of any phones.

as far as i can see it serves no purpose except to make money for nokia and to piss people off.

i always liked nokia for the fact that they kept the same charger when all other manufacturers had multiple ones but at least they changed them because the other ones wouldn't suit the design of the phone. nokia changed it for no reason whatsoever.

does it annoy anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

and while i'm at it, what's the story with the data cables? the pop ports are all exactly the same so why are there multiple non-interchangeable data cables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Charger, I disagree with you on. In a years time, everyone will have the same Nokia charger again. There could be 100 different reasons as to why they changed.

I do agree with the pop-port though. It's ridiculous. Use a standard. Every phone should use the same connection, or come with a cable.

chrislad wrote:
    Charger, I disagree with you on. In a years time, everyone will have the same Nokia charger again. There could be 100 different reasons as to why they changed.
    so in a year everyone will have the small flimsy easily broken charger. it'll fix the problem of having to carry the adapter around but not the rest.

and considering a lot of people have 3310s and older and most of the cheaper nokias still use the older charger i'd say it'll take a lot longer than a year. the new one's already been around since at least the 6101 days (early 2005).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I hate that new charger: already broke one of them in just the past month.

I call it the ant dick charger.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have to agree with the data cables. I had an old usb one that replicated a serial port that i used with all the old s40s i had (6610i 6100 etc) and now had to go and buy a new one to use with my 6233. Probably something to do with the 6233 actually supporting usb directly but I'm not sure though. So much for backwards compatibility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Personally I hate the data cable on almost every phone. They are nearly all just usb adapters with a special connection. I'd perfer if manufacturers went the way of Motorola or HTC and used a standard mini usb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Those new Nokia chargers are awful! They're constantly breaking on me. Bring back the old one - not because everyone had one - bring it back because it worked, was solid, reliable and rarely broke! Hell, even bring out a new one that isn't of such poor construction!

The connections in the bottom of new phones are as flimsey as the charger heads themselves.

As for the data cables, at least they're a pretty solid fit - can't blame them for trying to make money (of course you can bitch about having to spend it :) )

matrim wrote:
    Personally I hate the data cable on almost every phone. They are nearly all just usb adapters with a special connection. I'd perfer if manufacturers went the way of Motorola or HTC and used a standard mini usb connection.
    you see what they've reduced me to?????

i'm agreeing with someone who's saying that nokia should be more like motorola!!!

what is the world coming to?

ciaranfo wrote:
    As for the data cables, at least they're a pretty solid fit - can't blame them for trying to make money (of course you can bitch about having to spend it :) )
    i can bitch about the fact that i have 2 different nokia data cables in my drawer but still have to use my 6280 via bluetooth because neither of them work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i can bitch about the fact that i have 2 different nokia data cables in my drawer but still have to use my 6280 via bluetooth because neither of them work
    And bitch you shall :)

Re Motorola ... no! Don't say such a thing! God himself will strike you down lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was able to charge my last Nokia in a tiny village in China a couple of years ago and again on a boat in the middle of the Yangtse. I was in my brother's last week and his (old style) cable didn't fit the phone.
    Grrr.

It's certainly very flimsy compared to the old one and no doubt we will all eventually the using the same (new) one, but I can't help but suspect the flimsy design of it is to create a new market in replacement chargers which previously did not exist (outside the 'robbed phones' market). If it ain't broke, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

IIRC, an adapter came with my Nokia to allow it to be charged using the slightly wider head on the older charger. I haven't used it, however.

The cable in the newer chargers [called travel chargers by Nokia, I believe] are cheap. They must be trying to reduce costs by using less cable/insulation in their chargers.

Advertisement