Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

whining noise coming from back wheel

Options
  • 09-04-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Hope ye had a good easter
    Over here in the states just after buying a volvo 850
    Theres a whining noise coming from the back of the car, possibly one of the wheels
    Someone said to me that I might be a bearing that’s gone, if this is the cqase, is it serious?
    And what cost is involved to get it right again
    Thanks for yer help
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Is the wife sitting in the back?? :D

No seriously if it's a bearing not a major problem should be relatively inexpensive to put right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could jack up the rear end and give the wheel a good grip at the 2.45pm postion and see if you can waggle the wheel on the hub also give it a spin and see if it turns smoothly and quietly.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Bearing i'd say.Simple enough job to repair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd be inclined to suspect the bearing too - if the whine is low pitched, more like a hum. It usually gets louder when you turn through a bend in the road, putting the weight on the wheel in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

is it serious?
    what needs to be done to resolve this?
    need to rotate the ryres too,
    is the bearing on the wheel or on the exle part?
    thanks for all yer help lads
    ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you let the bearing go long enough the wheel falls off. The hub also goes red hot. Something that should be seen to as soon as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

maidhc wrote:
    If you let the bearing go long enough the wheel falls off. The hub also goes red hot. Something that should be seen to as soon as possible!

thanks for teh help
    but its not that loud yet, does that matter?

Advertisement