Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to change my voting location?

Options
  • 09-04-2007 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Im registered to vote in Limerick but I work in Dublin, how do I go about changing my voting location or am I too late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's nothing to stop you being registered in two constituencies. Dick Roche has been advising the Student's Unions that their members could do so. Technically it is illegal but Tricky Dicky says it's OK.

You will need to apply to be put on the supplement to the register. There's a sticky at the top of this forum and the main politics forum on registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ballooba wrote:
    There's nothing to stop you being registered in two constituencies. Dick Roche has been advising the Student's Unions that their members could do so. Technically it is illegal but Tricky Dicky says it's OK.

You will need to apply to be put on the supplement to the register. There's a sticky at the top of this forum and the main politics forum on registering.

That's not technically true....VOTING more than once is illegal. Have heard about this, but a lot of TDs I've spoken to have been waiting for clarification on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Arathorn wrote:
    Im registered to vote in Limerick but I work in Dublin, how do I go about changing my voting location or am I too late?

That's up for debate. If Bertie waits until the end of June for the election you're not too late, but if he decides to have the Dáil dissolved tomorrow, you will be too late I believe. But you can't be sure when he'll do it. It's your decision, but it's just a risk you'll have to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ballooba wrote:
    Dick Roche has denied ever saying such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Dick Roche never said such a thing. It was a mistake made by USI. They phoned the Department of Environment and someone there told them that they could. Based on a phone call to some civil servant they went ahead with their campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

so thats a no then, seems a bit unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Just register in Dublin. Then worry about getting off the register in Limerick. If FF weren't insisting on a Thursday election then you could vote in Limerick. There is plenty of time to get on the supplement. I think it's up until 2 weeks before polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Seems I can fill out this form to be added to the supplement with a new address

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/ElectionsElectoralRegister/ElectoralRegister/ElectoralRegisterForms/File,3908,en.pdf

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Arathorn wrote:

You are entitled to register for a postal vote if
    • of a physical illness or disability
    • you are studying full time at an educational institution away from your home address where you are registered
    • you are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    • you are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.

Attached is a Galway version of the form, i assume there is a "Limerick" version.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

From my reading of the information on www.rockthevote.ie you need to have your pv2 form submitted by tomorrow to your local council in order to be eligible for a postal vote.

It says that you get the ballot papers in the post and you need to present yourself to a garda station to get the papers stamped - presumably in advance of the polling day. As I am going to be out of the country the entire week of the election, I wonder if it is worth my while sending the pv2 form in (supposing the papers only arrive a day or two before polling day) or will I have the ballot papers in time?

• Advertisement

That is correct as per my sig!!
    Get cracking folks!

Advertisement