Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sony memory stick??

Options
  • 09-04-2007 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have just bought a 1gb memory stick pro from a sony shop in dublin.
    I have other memory sticks but I will be taking a lot of photos in the next week so I decided to get another one, just to have as back up. It cost me €69.

My camera is quite old in digital camera standards, it was bought in 2001 and is 3.4 megapixels cybershot.
    It suits me fine and I have used it to get some great photos for the last 6 years but it is slowing down a bit and has got bashed around a lot over the years.

My question is this, If I want to get a new (sony) camera in the next year or two (as I probably will), should I have got a memory stick pro duo instead of the memory stick pro.
    I think most new sony digital cameras now use the duo version asfaik.
    Am I right?
    If I get a duo card now I would be able to use it in any new sony camera in the future, and I can use it now in my current camera and PC with an adaptor?????

(is this the way they are going with memory cards or is there something new again on the horizon?)

Should I take it back and get a duo instead or is there a point?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yea get a Duo. Memory Stick Pro's are kind of getting replaced by Duos and even if you need a Memory Stick Pro you cxn still get an adopter for the Duo.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Duo certainly seems to be std in the current Sony camera range, but in a year or two who is to say. With the pro being replaced by Memory Stick PRO-HG it might go into higher end cams and the memory stick micro has replaced the duo in the phone range so I would have thought it will feed through into the compact camera range? Either way I would say the duos days are numbered... which is a pain cos I have a pile of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Thanks guys
    But will the memory stick PRO-HG be the same size as the duo or will another adaptor be needed then like with the old memory stick and the duo now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

69 euro for a 1gb, you seriously got ripped off. you can get a 4gb with that and have money left over for a pint or two

• Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

drdre wrote:
    69 euro for a 1gb, you seriously got ripped off. you can get a 4gb with that and have money left over for a pint or two
    and a 8GB is on the way.
    Whats the cheapest place to get the 4gb?
    i've seen 2GB for €51 and 4GB for €97,
    was looking to upgrade the memory in the fone, but now ill up upgrading the fone and not sure to go for the latest W series that that takes duo (up to 4GB at the moment) or go for the micro, (only 2gb at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Mellor wrote:
    and a 8GB is on the way.
    Whats the cheapest place to get the 4gb?
    i've seen 2GB for €51 and 4GB for €97,
    was looking to upgrade the memory in the fone, but now ill up upgrading the fone and not sure to go for the latest W series that that takes duo (up to 4GB at the moment) or go for the micro, (only 2gb at the moment)

How much did you get the 8gb for.Where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

saw one yesterday in the sony shop for 269 yo yos far too expensive for my little moth infested wallet i hope someone knows a cheaper one somewhere:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

copacetic wrote:
    Duo certainly seems to be std in the current Sony camera range, but in a year or two who is to say. With the pro being replaced by Memory Stick PRO-HG it might go into higher end cams and the memory stick micro has replaced the duo in the phone range so I would have thought it will feed through into the compact camera range? Either way I would say the duos days are numbered... which is a pain cos I have a pile of them!

Or maybe they will start using Memory Stick Micro's in the cameras like they do now with new Sony Ericsson phones. I bought a W710i and it comes with a Memory Stick Micro 512mb, but I cannot use my 512mb Memory stick pro duo in this new phone caus it's twice the size of the micro.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fbradyirl wrote:
    Or maybe they will start using Memory Stick Micro's in the cameras like they do now with new Sony Ericsson phones. I bought a W710i and it comes with a Memory Stick Micro 512mb, but I cannot use my 512mb Memory stick pro duo in this new phone caus it's twice the size of the micro.

thats what I was saying, probably memory stick micro in compact cameras and the hg in the higher end. but who is to say?

Advertisement