Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recipients replying to emails received by 02 webtext (internationally)

• 09-04-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

I have just signed up to 02, mainly to take advantage of 250 free international
    webtexts each month as I tend to send many texts to Australia.

However when texting people in Australia (using webtext on o2.ie), they receive
    the message fine, but if they hit "reply" and type a response they cannot send it,
    because the "+" symbol isn't sent by 02? I think the message is received by them showing
    the number as 353851xxxxx (instead of +353851xxxx).

Has anyone else had this problem with 02 webtext? The easiest work around is for
    the recipient to create a new text, rather than hitting "reply", but this is a pain

I saw another thread with a similar topic but there was no resolution...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054890194

I guess the problem is with the 02 website and the way they have set it up.
    Was wondering if any of the programs like AFT work around this problem. Though haven't been able to get that program working on my mobile yet.
    My mobile is a Samsung 401i

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

AFt doesn't work around it. the problem's at o2's end so i don't think that anything can be done about it unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Send O2 an email about it and see if anyone gets back to you on it? I'm actually gonna do the same now and see what they have to say.

Oh, and the number comes up as 00353 ... the problem happening here is that 00 isn't the international access code for all countrys.

I might even write them a letter .. they always tend to reply to them properly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ivoryhunter

thanks guys.

Yes I will get in touch with o2 on this issue.

ciaranfo - you're right about the country code. In OZ you have to dial 0011353 (or +353 from a mobile). Obviously just need it to appear as +353, I do wonder whether this is deliberate by o2 to make people use their phone more to send texts.

I will get in touch and report back my findings if I get a response.

Cheers

Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Actually it was an improvement when they finally got round to sticking on the '00' -in the early days messages came from '35386' and replies wouldn't work at all, especially for ordinary punters who had no clue how to work it out. No idea why they insist on doing this just as much as I wonder why people simply won't put in their numbers one time in full GSM format -especially those who travel.

Fair keeps me awake at night, I tell you.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I recently changed my phone book so that all numbers are in there beginning with a +, no more 00 (or no country code at all).

Works wonders while travelling. There should be a booklet or something about this. :D

I recently changed my phone book so that all numbers are in there beginning with a +, no more 00 (or no country code at all).

Works wonders while travelling. There should be a booklet or something about this. :D
    This actually gets around the "00353" problem on a lot of phones when you recieve from webtext and the phone trys to reply using the "+353" in the phone book - I think older Sony Ericssons and a few others still had issues though.

My, I thought an urbane chap such as yourself would have done this from Day One!

o2 have got back to me by email and apparently the web team are investigating....

if anyone else is bothered by this they should drop customer care an email like I did to increase the chances of them fixing it!

Indeed - they won't know there's a problem unless enough people tell them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its all of what? 2 seconds? to write a new text from scratch,its a small inconvenience, get over it

While you make a valid point about having to write a new text from scratch there's a couple of issues with this.
    - why should you have to?
    - it's a pain to try and explain to less tech minded people why they have to write a new text each time, they just assume it's not working and they won't text you back

krudler, it is no inconvernience for me as it is the recipient that has to do it. But if you use sms alot (as you would for international rather than calling) you would probably hit 'reply' out of habit 98% of the time. So when people in OZ hit reply and write a long text only to find when they hit send it doesn't work it is annoying to have to retype the text (as ciaranfo suggests if they can be bothered!!)

It's even less of an inconvenience or a pain to just edit that '00' to '+' as soon as you see it on clicking reply.....

but not everyones phone makes it that straight forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

or just save the reply in drafts then send it from there

RESPONSE FROM 02:

Our web development team have investigated this and they advised that they have tried to add a + instead of the 00, but it was found that there was a limitation on the system that didn’t allow a non-numeric character in the reply number. It won’t be possible to change this on the current webtext system, however, they are looking at replacing the current webtext system with a new system so it may be something that they can implement at that time. It is something that they will certainly consider for the new system. I do not currently have a time frame for the implementation of the new system, it is still in the early planning stages.

I am sorry that I cannot give you a more immediate resolution at this time.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Any thoughts?

At least you got a reply. We already know they use a 3rd party to send the webtexts, so i guess it's a limitation of their system.

Pretty detailed reply aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

On the other hand - if you then use callthrough or callback services and open the phonebook to send DTMF, the + is very unlikely to be recognised. Also, some callback services use a different format like 353....# - so in a couple of cases I have one format on SIM, one on phone.

Advertisement