Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Java Builder?

Options
  • 09-04-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

What is the best program for building Java programmes?

At uni we use Gel but I what to know is there anything better than this which is free?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 66o66o

Try NetBeans,
    I find it very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Eclipse is the best ive ever seen, simply a beautiful program!
    http://www.eclipse.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If your getting Eclipse I recommend getting the add ons (do an update in the program). Will allow you to do proper SWT gui editing and develop servlets easier.

I'm an Eclipse fan but at the end of the day its a matter of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I've used Eclipse and Netbeans and I prefer Eclipse. For someone who is just doing basic college type programming than either will do as they pretty much have the same features. But for anything more complex I think Eclipse has the edge in terms of plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Another vote for eclipse here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Eclipse all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

netbeans man here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 nellyrev

netbeans is good

bbut if you are running it on a laptop and are using a battery ill give is a no

eclipse i do not know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

nellyrev wrote:
    netbeans is good

bbut if you are running it on a laptop and are using a battery ill give is a no

Yeah, that happened to me too, Netbeans wouldn't run unless I had my laptop plugged in. Weird. For that reason I prefer eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

another for eclipse, the plugins make it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Speaking of Eclipse and plugins...

Can anyone recommend a good SWING designer for it?

We're using "Swing Designer" from Instantiations at the moment, but its not entirely blowing me away with its brilliance and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend anything better.

Given that better is such a subjective term, what I'm looking for is something responsive and stable, which can handle subclassing and all the rest of it with a minimum of fuss. The Instantiations product is getting there in terms of performance and stability, but its not - in my opion - anywhere near solid enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

Keep it simple, use vim

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

eclipse is great and i cant reccommend it enough. but if your doing simple enough stuff and want a small qucik easy to use IDE then JCreator is pretty good. doesnt give you all the features of Eclipse. But install it and itll take you 5 secondes to be ready to create your first file.

Eclipse eats my processor(not a good one) a lot, so i often use Jcreator for simple stuff.

Advertisement