Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caliper piston/mobile mechanic

Options
  • 09-04-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I've got a seized caliper piston. Well it moves out but doesn't move back in AGAIN!!

The sliding pins are fine and move freely but the piston is definitly f***ed.

As I cant move it back in and get the wheel on to go to a garage I would be grateful if someone could suggest either of the following..

1. Best way to get the piston back in (have tried a hammer :rolleyes: )
    2. Moblie mechanic who could assist.

As it says in avatar I'm in Kilkenny.
    Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

The old pistons could be rust pitted or damaged and might need replacing especially if they have been beaten with a hammer. Depending on the car make you should be able to get them as a complete kit from most factors quite reasonable. Sometimes its as cheap to replace the caliper in some cars. If its not right it will only leak again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

kleefarr wrote:
    I've got a seized caliper piston. Well it moves out but doesn't move back in AGAIN!!

The sliding pins are fine and move freely but the piston is definitly f***ed.

As I cant move it back in and get the wheel on to go to a garage I would be grateful if someone could suggest either of the following..

1. Best way to get the piston back in (have tried a hammer :rolleyes: )
    2. Moblie mechanic who could assist.

As it says in avatar I'm in Kilkenny.
    Any help gratefully received.

Some pistons(rear) Windback in with a special tool,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

gotta be windback, it moves or it don't !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

stratos wrote:
    gotta be windback, it moves or it don't !!

Nope, it doesn't. Tried using a flat bar spanner in the grooves on the piston head, but nada!

So I'll be ordering off brakeparts.co.uk later. I know on their website say they don't deliver to Ireland, but it was suggested by someone on hondarevolutions.com that if I phoned them they would probably send over. They're very helful apparently, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Hopefully I'll get it Friday and be sorted for the week-end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This a rear caliper in your prelude?

I've a sticking rear caliper in my integra.. Pads are wearing down at an alarming rate on that side (I can hear them rubbing), while wearing normally on the other.

Will replace the caliper this week. Not aware of any other solution except maybe a rebuild, but it's easier just to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

JHMEG wrote:
    This a rear caliper in your prelude?

I've a sticking rear caliper in my integra.. Pads are wearing down at an alarming rate on that side (I can hear them rubbing), while wearing normally on the other.

Will replace the caliper this week. Not aware of any other solution except maybe a rebuild, but it's easier just to replace it.

Yep. Nearside rear. (Passenger side) Is your's nearside? It was pointed out to me that components on the nearside seem to go/wear out more often than the offside.
    Where are you getting your caliper from. Honda seem outragiously expensive. I have search for an Irish online motor factor that could deliver in a couple of days, but cant find anyone which is why I'll have to get it from UK. Price is good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ditch-side components do wear/fail quicker, but mine is sticking on the driver's side.

As all I want is a working caliper that fits, I've gone one from a breakers. Caliper, nearly new pads, and the corresponding disc (also vgc) for 40 euro. My disc is scored from the previous pads that wore down in jig time, and needs to be replaced.

I believe that sticking rear calipers are common on Hondas.

BTW, you should still be able to wind it in, but you'll need the arms of Popeye to do it.

Advertisement