Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppers

• 09-04-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Opinions on this place please, I have never darkened the door of this place but the inevitable is due to happen someday, so would like to be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Good place to find easy women. Or so I hear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Cattle market. I despise the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

xebec wrote:
    Or so I hear.

>_>

<_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

I hate the place.

Crap music, expensive drinks, bad pints and a cover charge most of the time.

If your up that end of town Whelans is your only man imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The place is dark and dirty and the drink is as over priced as any place in Dublin. It has a great smoking area and the cover charge is €5 on week nights / €10 weekends. The music is pop and the main dance floor gets completly jammed. The best thing about the place is the crowd though. Its a very broad mix of 20 - 30 year olds from all walks of life. Love it or hate it, you've got to go there at least once, at least just to see what everyone is talking about. Its a bit of a Dublin institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Wouldnt buy pints in the place, at least not downstairs. They taste watered down.
    Not a fan of this place atall. waaay to many check shirts and way too much fart smell.

Drink is crap. Most people are already pretty drunk by the time they get in, so prepare to be irritated. It also gets jammed after midnight - wall-to-wall.

If you bring any ladyfriends, or you are in fact a lady, prepare for molestation any time you attempt to move out of your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The ratio between men and women is approx 8-1 and the ratio between dickheads and women is 100-1

How do you like those odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The ratio between men and women is approx 8-1 and the ratio between dickheads and women is 100-1

How do you like those odds?

You summed that up incredibly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Somewhat overrated.

Music: If you are a chin stroking Kraftwerk fan it probably isnt for you. The music is somewhat cheesy. Its the type of stuff thats a bit of fun for a one off, but you wouldnt go every week. Mind you, its a good laugh on match days as they often play Give it a Lash Jack, Ole Ole etc etc, so if yiv been on the beer all day following another hard fought 3 points by the lads keeping us in qualifying by the skin of the teeth, yil be hammered belting out "were all part of Stauntons army" :) Jump Around also gets the odd spin, which is never a bad thing.

Birds: Firstly, not nearly as loose as yiv heard. Well, some of them may be, but the place can be jammed full of old enough birds a bit on the rough side. Really if you want to pull decent go to 21s instead, that place does be hoppin and the clientele are quality. For all the rep it wouldnt even make my top 5 for ease of scoring. Probably a rumour the management spread in the 90s (I can imagine that at the height of the rave scene dives like Coppers were hard to fill, and so they needed to get people back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Only go under the following conditions:

(a) You are from beyond the Pale
    (b) A Garda
    (c) A woman mid 30s looking to score anything in sight
    (d) A male with low standards looking for (c)
    (e) intoxicated beyond intoxicated...

in other words DONT GO!!!

Des- dont forget cheap students who live within walking distance. Feckin students, theyll walk 3 miles through junkieville at 4am locked out of the tree to avoid a 6.50 taxi fare. Good mate of mine is a student but jesus the money scabbing really bites. ffs he wanted to go to Galway once by CIE bus because its something like 15 cheaper than the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

descry wrote:

(b) A Garda OR A TEACHER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Coppers is one of those dank shi*holes that decided to stock Cashels instead of Bulmers. Their punters will be too p*ssed to notice, and they'll make a bigger profit because Cashels is cheap muck.

The place smells. There's sawdust on the floor. Probably vomit and broken glass aswell after a while. You can't move on the dancefloor, and that's not a good thing because you will really really want to move away from the sweaty men in big shirts.

I've been there maybe 3 times. The first time I went along, it was out of curiosity, and the other two times, I went very begrudgingly, and only 'cos all my friends wanted to go. Each time I've been there, I've had my drink stolen, and people have tried to fight with me..

What a complete hole..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

descry wrote:

(b) A Garda

One of my main concerns is that it's becoming the next 'in' venue for the D4 crowd, they seem to be flocking there in their orangy multitudes of late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Schlemm wrote:
    One of my main concerns is that it's becoming the next 'in' venue for the D4 crowd, they seem to be flocking there in their orangy multitudes of late

hmmm... they're even dumber than I thought.

And yes I left out a glaringly obvious one teachers ! Poor children of today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ah Coppers. I was in there once, on a bet would you believe.

In there once and nearly got barred for pointing out various breaches of health and safety and advising that if they wanted to avoid another Stardust they really should sort it out.

Also, one of the worst door crews i have ever had the misfortune to see working and the onsight manager was a ****ing asshole.

If i could i would see the place shut down to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Dragan wrote:
    Ah Coppers. I was in there once, on a bet would you believe.

In there once and nearly got barred for pointing out various breaches of health and safety and advising that if they wanted to avoid another Stardust they really should sort it out.

Also, one of the worst door crews i have ever had the misfortune to see working and the onsight manager was a ****ing asshole.

If i could i would see the place shut down to be honest.

What are the breaches of health and safety that a venue "similar" to coppers might have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

In any club you looking at 2 major problems.

One is always going to be overcrowding beyond what they are insured to hold. This is a major problem in most places.... how many clubs do you see with any means to keep track of the number of people in there? In my own experience management will often try to fudge the numbers even when measures are in place.

The second, and for me the far more serious one is locking fire doors. Larger clubs may be loath to hire a sufficent number of doormen to cover all area's, so rather than risk people coming in and out of firedoors they sometimes lock them. I have seen this done in the past as well and have always complained.

Sometimes my complaints have been met with "your right, we'll unlock them right now" because they know they are caught and it could get very, very serious.

Other times i have been told to "**** off and go somewhere else then..... cnut" as happened recently in a club i was in.

The problem is that most people would not even spot this, being a packed club is normally, not many people would ever try the firedoors so they won't notice. But imagine these two problems combined in a bad scenario.....

overcrowding......locked firedoors and a need to get our quick?

Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

It's a total fire trap. They over-pack the place and it's underground as well.
    If you enjoy a night of sticking to the floor, drinking p1ss, being molested and having your nose assaulted by foul odours, it's the place to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

If you are concerned about the fire safety in any nightclub or venue then ring the local fire officer (in Dublin this is Tara Street) and they will come out and inspect the venue, usually within 24hrs. They have a legal obligation to do this once a member of the public makes a complaint. In a venue like a large nightclub with more than 500 persons on site there must be at least 3 exit points with a total of at least 5mm exit width per person. When making these calcualtions you always discount one exit in case it is blocked by a fire. So for example if there are 1,000 people in a nightclub there must be at least three exit points and the combined width of any two exits should be at least 5,000mm (5m). For information purposes an average single leaf door width is 0.9m. I would advise anybody with concerns about any venue's fire safety to ring the local fire officer ASAP. Otherwise another Stardust will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

does the fire officer turn up at night or during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

Depends on how busy he is when the call comes in. In my experience if a call is made about a nightclub or pub they are fairly quick off the mark. They may not make it that night but will probably follow up the following night when the venue is in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

If there's a place that's a fire hazard, it's bound to be that awful dive, Buck's on Leeson St. I don't know how anyone'd get out of there with all those big heads and old men blocking the door. Not that that's the worst thing about it mind...

Thanx 4 the heads up on Coppers, I shall be prepared lest I darken its door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yangzhao

Its a bit of a Dublin institution

what does this supposed to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

A 6ft 2, 13 stone friend of mine scored a girl the same size as him last week in coppers. They dont breed them that size in Dublin!

yangzhao wrote:
    Its a bit of a Dublin institution

what does this supposed to mean?
    Indeed. So is St. Pats.

Its hardly a Dublin institution, its for tight students from down south and lads up for the Saturday gah matches primarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Was there twice, the place is a kip. There appears to be no women there. That 100 - 1 ratio is pretty accurate, my girlfriend was molested or slapped on the arse whenever she went to the toilet/bar

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

was there monday. sober. strange so strange, girls are all easy trolls in not too many words. if your desperate i highly reccommend it, tis easy to pick up a lass there who'll from the vibes i got, do pretty much anything ya can think of