Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

peugeot 205 gti 1.6

Options
  • 09-04-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi guys hope ye all had a great easter
    Want to buy a puegoet 205 gti 1.6L
    If u have any advice for me please post it
    Would be v greatful
    I also want some information on things to look out for with this model
    Does it come with power steering?
    Im 23 and got a quote for 1600 euros with quinn direct on my 2nd prov, happy enougt with that.
    So please feel free to post
    Thanks in advance
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My mam had the 1.1 in the early 90s and loved it...doesn't particularly suffer from Peugeot reliability problems of recent years anyway...she nearly cried when dad sold it!!

Also don't just assume Quinn will be the cheapest!! AIB gave me the best quote

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

AIB are just reselling hibernian, like Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik only the 205 GTi 1.9 litre had power steering. I'd say it will be difficult enough to find a 205 GTi these days in good condition which hasn't either being molested or suffering from previous battle damage.

Your best bet is to try an enthusiast's forum where they know the ins and outs of them, probably the best place to find a mint well cared one for sale too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I had an '88 one a few years ago, absolutely loved it, if my friend hadn't ended up in hospital when he wrote it off on me I would have put him there myself. As for advice on buying one, try to get the 87+ model as opposed to the earlier version as it has the cylinder head from the 1.9 meaning its got more kick and they seem to be less prone to gasket trouble going on anicdotal evidence. Also they came from the factory with drum brakes on the rear but alot of people fitted rear disks after purchase, and you can really feel the difference when driving, so if you have a few options, try to get one that has been fitted with disks, or maybe think about getting them done yourself after you buy it. Aswell obviously make sure it has an NCT, they don't have a Cat and although I never sent mine to NCT I heard of a few people failing the emmision tests repeatedly with them. A couple of small but annoying problems there also prone to are leaking into the boot through the lock and oil leaks at the dizzy housing so keep an eye out for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've been tempted by a 1.9 myself, but don't have the space for 3 cars. Go to the UK, especially here if you are serious :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement