Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras?

Options
  • 09-04-2007 7:42pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Approximately half way between Barnesmore Gap and McGrory's Brae (near the lake) is a sort of weather station thing at the side of the road.

I've recently noticed what seems to be two cameras attached to one side of this weather thing, both pointing straight to the road.

I'm curious if anyone knows what they are? I'd have thought originally they were speed cameras, but judging the angle they're facing the road, I'd doubt they'd be able to take a snap of a numberplate.

Maybe they're weather related?

*shrugs*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Haven't seen them myself but my guess would be that they are for picking up weather conditions such as snow, hail etc given their location

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote:
    Haven't seen them myself but my guess would be that they are for picking up weather conditions such as snow, hail etc given their location
    Yeah, I'd say you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I've seen this. There is another between Liscooley & Killygordon. All weather related with anemometers, wireless transmitters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Possibly laser transmitter and receiver to judge visibility espec. fog? Something similar to a ceilometer at an airport to judge cloud heights.
    All those weather stations are linked to the Met Office in Glasnevin where the data is used by radio and television to advise as to driving conditions. That'd be especially important somewhere like the gap which often has terrible conditions like snow, hail, fog etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, the Gap has its own climate! :)

Well, I think that's that mystery sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But..but..... maybe they are for monitoring the level of frogs crossing from the marshy ground on one side of the road to the other.

If you were David Bellamy you'd be thinking along those lines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote:
    But..but..... maybe they are for monitoring the level of frogs crossing from the marshy ground on one side of the road to the other.

If you were David Bellamy you'd be thinking along those lines :D

Or then again, maybe not.

Advertisement