Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed guns - Will I get points?

Options
  • 09-04-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I was overtaking someone there the last day and a cop got me with a speed gun. I was a good bit over the limit to be honest. I was thinking that id be getting a letter in the post saying I got two points or something but I was talking to a fella on saturday night and he reckons that they have to go after you straight away with the gun; that they have no record of it and that its just the cameras rather than guns that issue the points this way.

Is there any truth in what he was saying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Depends. Ive seen people here saying that some of the guns can record too. How fast were you going and what was the limit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Nope, several years ago I was done on the N7 between the M50 roundabout and Newlands cross junction by a cop with a speed gun, it was a 40mph zone, didn’t even know about it until I got a letter in the post. The points don’t kick in until a few months after the offence. As far as I know all guns record now after there was a test case a few years ago over the accuracy of speeding and photo evidence. I believe you can also demand a photo of the offence. You can be lucky sometimes and not hear from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

From what I have heard; if it was mounted on a tripod you could get points because those speed guns have cameras and record the speed.
    and
    if it was handheld they need to pull you over.

Could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

DeBeere wrote:
    if it was handheld they need to pull you over.

AFAIK, this is the case. But you never know. The only way to be sure is to watch out for the brown envelope over the next few weeks...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

If its on a tripod and they don't stop you your fine (excuse the pun). only the fixed and mobile vehicle mounted ones take pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

stratos wrote:
    If its on a tripod and they don't stop you your fine (excuse the pun). only the fixed and mobile vehicle mounted ones take pictures.

Well this guy was just pointing it out of the window in a unmarked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yea then you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

crosstownk wrote:
    AFAIK, this is the case. But you never know. The only way to be sure is to watch out for the brown envelope over the next few weeks...................
    The envelope is actaully white with a window in it. Pretty non descript tbh.

Advertisement