Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So, is overtaking illegal now????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

people idle your car and turn the lights on listen to your engine, your call i don't care.

to someone who said i am losing this one !! its lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

To me that says you 'don't care' about taking all safety precautions while driving, which means you shouldn't be in-charge of a car in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

stratos wrote:
    people idle your car and turn the lights on listen to your engine, your call i don't care.

If your car is 20 years old. You were arguing that you would leave your dipped lights on, on a country road, and not put your main on due to a perceived increase in Petrol Consumption. I've already shown you the neligible difference in wattage between dipped and main beams. So, now that this part of your hypothesis has been exposed, you're trying to argue that having lights on uses more fuel than not having them illuminated - which has nothing to do with your original theory in the first place.

Your argument is weak, and unstructured, and so is your punctuation ... for someone who claims to be a qualified Electrical Engineer, you're doing a very poor job of defending an even shoddier argument.

I agree with Kaiser2000 100% on this one. There are now cars for sale which are the same colour as Tarmac for god's sake! Without headlamps, these are practically invisible even during the day time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you saying that the power and fuel economy drain that occurs during idling is the same as that when driving at 50km/hr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stratos wrote:
    ... why waste petrol on lighting i don't need.

Saddest post on this forum in a while tbh. Don't care if you are an EE. 5 watts extra (55w v 60w) will not break the bank ffs. Maybe all the twattish taxi drivers using side lights only (often with one blown) got advice from you? I change from dipped to head and back again depending on the road, i.e. bends etc. - to see better. Your comment about headlights turning night into day is laughable.

Your point about daytime dipped headlights causing a distance-judging problem for 15% of drivers - at least they see you! You would prefer if bikers switched off their headlights during the day now? Their deaths on your hands, mate. I use full headlights when riding a bike in the daytime - for visibility. I never thought I was blinding other road users with the power of the sun, until you posted here. Night into day indeed. The basic rule is 'never drive above a speed at which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear'. At night, this means the distance illuminated by your headlights.

Get a grip.

Not your ornery onager

anything that makes your engine harder to turn cost you money. if you go up a hill your car uses more fuel if you speed up your car uses more fuel. everytime you brake you use fuel. maybe most people don't drive as efficiently as me when you brake you waste fuel ever thought of that ??

people don't think about fuel when they brake, when you brake you wasted the fuel it took you to reach that speed, sound silly ?? so does using your lights in the day it slows your engine, thus using more fuel and us studies show increased junction accidents.

stratos wrote:
    anything that makes your engine harder to turn cost you money.

You still haven't grasped your own argument. There is bugger all difference in wattage between full and dipped headlamps.
    stratos wrote:
    maybe most people don't drive as efficiently as me when you brake you waste fuel ever thought of that ??

TBH, I hope no one drives similarly to you.

I will take on board some of the things said here maybe the old dog needs some new tricks, but i am driving forty years my skill saved a few of you guys, if you need electrons in a hurry i am your man, if you need ions buy a hand drier !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

stratos wrote:
    . everytime you brake you use fuel. maybe most people don't drive as efficiently as me when you brake you waste fuel ever thought of that ??

Sure while we are at it, lets ditch the brakes too... Think of all the petrol we can save!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

stratos wrote:
    everytime you brake you use fuel. maybe most people don't drive as efficiently as me when you brake you waste fuel ever thought of that ??

people don't think about fuel when they brake, when you brake you wasted the fuel it took you to reach that speed, sound silly ??
    Yes it does sound silly. I'm not sure what your point is, but based on the rest of your argument it's almost as if you're saying we shouldn't brake either as we're "wasting" fuel then too?? :confused:

I suppose we should just coast to a stop or barely touch the accelerator at all in that case? I'm genuinely not sure what you're trying to say?

Anyway, if you can't afford the miniscule amount of fuel used to run headlights, then you you shouldn't be in a car to be honest.

stratos wrote:
    i am driving forty years my skill saved a few of you guys

Good grief ... :rolleyes:

i stand to be corrected, but this sounds increasingly like a troll?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ok - back to overtaking.

ned what do want me to say i am new to driving i wasn't a natural i am just doing it a long time. i drive on the open road everyday in fast cars i do over 300 miles a day i said this before iam experienced thats all not better not faster i just do it more do you want to argue with that ??

well gotta hit the sack been nice talkin' to all you guys lots to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I drive the N3 daily, usually between 5:30 and 6:30 am and it's amazing to see the dawdling that goes on. It seems that people are just lazy about their driving. This morning (Bank holiday) at 8:30 a Peugeot 407 sat behind a truck, on it's arse, through several straight sections where overtaking was optimal and safe and never once made a move. I was 3 cars behind him and was amazed that neither he nor the two muppets behind him hadn't moved to overtake. Eventually I went for it and just as I approached the Peugeot, having passed the other two, the idiot decided to stick his nose out and have a look. I slowed in case he was going to go for it, but he pulled back. I accelerated again and, yup, you guessed it, out he came. F*cker was oblivious to what was going on around him.

He then proceeded to dawdle past the truck, so i pulled in behind it and listened to the other moron behind me blowing his horn and watched his flashing lights in the mirror. I had driven at between 60 and 70 k for 10 minutes behind these c*nts and when I make a safe overtaking move I get berated because some clown isn't checking his mirrors.

edit: Jesus, I just read the other 2 pages of this thread and thought I'd gotten lost. Is this still about overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

stratos wrote:
    this thread will identify the two types of drivers in this country the experienced with good machinery and a cautious approach and the 10 journeys a week with bad machinery and in a hurry !!

You've typed some idiotic posts in this thread, but this one is actually the silliest.

I am neither. Where do I fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

fletch wrote:
    The guy who beeped me really annoyed me as his actions could have given me a fright and caused an accident.

And your actions were incredibly stupid. Over taking that many cars is dangerous, If anything was to happen on the wrong side of the road you would have no where to easily pull in.

Not to mention that the ones in front may just of been waiting for a safe part of the road to overtake as well.

And a speed limit is that, a limit it isn't a maximum speed you have to drive at. Learn a bit of patience. TBH I would be less worried about you killing yourself then your actions causing someone else to die.

I am sure you can go on about how great a driver you are, but the fact is you should be driving slower in case a potential idiot does something else. Lets say your overtaking the four cars and car number 2 doesn't look behind and tries to overtake? Or car number 1 hits the brakes to stop hitting a frog in the road (I had some plonker do this, thankfully good braking distance away from them). If car 1 hits the brakes the others are going to panic/swerve.

It is more then "Has my car enough power to get by".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Hobbes wrote:
    I am sure you can go on about how great a driver you are, but the fact is you should be driving slower in case a potential idiot does something else. Lets say your overtaking the four cars and car number 2 doesn't look behind and tries to overtake? Or car number 1 hits the brakes to stop hitting a frog in the road (I had some plonker do this, thankfully good braking distance away from them). If car 1 hits the brakes the others are going to panic/swerve.
    You've kind of hit the nail on the head there in fairness. I would rather be past these idiots. It's driving like this that causes multiple car pile-ups. All it takes is one person to make a mistake and everyone needs to take evasive action which could result in a crash. I was keeping my distance from the cars in front for some time and could see that the road was clear ahead. After a few miles and nobody had made an attempt to overtake (and perhaps they were happy sitting there bumper to bumper, I suppose that's their prerogative...however I wasn't), I judged that I had the power available to me and a clear road the other side and made a conscious decision to overtake.

• Advertisement

stratos wrote:
    ned what do want me to say i am new to driving i wasn't a natural i am just doing it a long time. i drive on the open road everyday in fast cars i do over 300 miles a day i said this before iam experienced thats all not better not faster i just do it more do you want to argue with that ??

Experience has bugger all to do with driving safely. My mother has 40 years of experience just like you, but manages to go through a clutch every 3 years. It's advanced driving training that makes a difference on our roads, not boasting about doing 300 miles a day in 'fast cars' and being on the road 40 years. You probably didn't even have to do a driving test, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hmmm ....

Well:

1. Running lights on all the time, this is especially apparent for country roads as you can't see whats coming against you. This is a legal requirement in certain countries and alot of motorcycle don't have the option of turning off your lights - was he a troll ... I don't know :)

2. Overtaking 4 cars at once ? Dangerous ? Well ....

A. The four cars should not have been tailgating each other and should allow enough distance between them to account for stoppage distance.

B. Depends on the road conditions, If there is adequate space to complete a maneuver then its safe, if not, then its not. Unfortunately we were not there so cannot really comment on this, we can only go from the OP's description of events.

3. You should never flash, or beep your horn at another driver out of Anger or Frustration, it can be confusing and inflammatory. You lights are used for lighting the road in front of you, your hazards are for indicating a hazard if stopped on a hazardous part of road. Your fogs are for when theres fog ! and so on :D

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I was out driving on the bike on Fri, Sat and Sun, and had no problems overtaking anyone.

But, I do see where the problem lies.

The queues of cars that form up, are too close together for anyone to safely overtake one car. That means that people are reliant on trying to overtake more than one car which most people are clearly not confident enough to do.

When I was out in the cage yesterday, I noticed this, at the section after dunshaughlin where it is 60kmph for a km or so.

One car over took me, and proceeded to join the rest of the queue in front (which was about 200m further up the road). I caught up with the back of the vw, about 2 minutes later, and followed it all the way to Navan.

The previous day, when I was doing the same journey, I was able to overtake the equivalent 100m of queued cars in about 2 or 3 hops, and proceeded merrily on my way.

Whenever you cage drivers decide to drive with consideration for other cages, by for example leaving a gap between you and the vehicle in front, and perhaps not feeling so humiliated that someone else might actually be faster on the road than you are, so you actually let them passed, then overtaking will be safer and more commonplace.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

nereid wrote:
    I was out driving on the bike on Fri, Sat and Sun, and had no problems overtaking anyone.

But, I do see where the problem lies.

The queues of cars that form up, are too close together for anyone to safely overtake one car. That means that people are reliant on trying to overtake more than one car which most people are clearly not confident enough to do.

When I was out in the cage yesterday, I noticed this, at the section after dunshaughlin where it is 60kmph for a km or so.

One car over took me, and proceeded to join the rest of the queue in front (which was about 200m further up the road). I caught up with the back of the vw, about 2 minutes later, and followed it all the way to Navan.

The previous day, when I was doing the same journey, I was able to overtake the equivalent 100m of queued cars in about 2 or 3 hops, and proceeded merrily on my way.

Whenever you cage drivers decide to drive with consideration for other cages, by for example leaving a gap between you and the vehicle in front, and perhaps not feeling so humiliated that someone else might actually be faster on the road than you are, so you actually let them passed, then overtaking will be safer and more commonplace.

L.

Bikers in General are more courteous to other bike drivers imho, will create a space for others when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

craichoe wrote:
    Bikers in General are more courteous to other bike drivers imho, will create a space for others when driving.

Gotta look out for one another - noone else does! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,766 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wossack wrote:
    Gotta look out for one another - noone else does! :(
    i try, but you lot can make it bloody difficult at times!

I find that bikers are generally some of the worst offenders on the roads myself.

They tear past you at whatever speed they like and regardless of traffic conditions,
    they cut in and out of traffic (frequently from the inside) without warning or indicating,
    they practically live on the other side of the white line,
    and always seem to have the single headlight on main beam (although part of the problem may be that they're mounted higher?).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I find that bikers are generally some of the worst offenders on the roads myself.

They tear past you at whatever speed they like and regardless of traffic conditions,
    they cut in and out of traffic (frequently from the inside) without warning or indicating,
    and always seem to have the single headlight on main beam (although part of the problem may be that they're mounted higher?).

quite apart from the sweeping nature of the first few sentences, and the level of, well, bigotry (bike-otry, anyone ??:D ), the last sentence gives proof...... " always seem to have the single headlight on main beam" - I shall enlighten (sic) you to know that first, on new bikes, you can't turn off the main beam. As for dip/head, the problem a lot of the time is the road surface being so poor, the headlight is constantly moving and may APPEAR to be be on main, or flashing.........but invariably, it's not.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Kaiser2000 wrote:

You're painting all with the same brush here, which I dont think is fair. I understand though, as its usually the bad experiences that stick in peoples minds, and the biker population does have its fair share of muppetry.

I cant turn my main light off btw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Drop gear, hit 120+ kmh overtake with speed meaning very little time spent on the opposite side of the road. Then return to speed limit when past the dawdlers. Personally I find that safer then overtaking at 5mph faster then the other car because it's technically legal.

I would base it on your judgement, not a poxy one rule for all situation. Sometimes you feel safe to overtake, others, a little unsafe but at the end of the day it's up to you what seems like a good timem to do what.

Oh and the comment about your headlights and battery consumption gave me a laugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement