Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheese alternative...

• 09-04-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been posted .. ( I tried having a search on boards without too much success )

I'm looking for a cheese alternative ... and here feels like the best place to get a response. I'll be opting for alpro soya milk or similar to cut out my milk intake (if anyone has a better recommendation feel free to offer it)

I tend to like cheese .. unfortunately cheese doesn't seem to like me .. ( I believe both from a breathing and a skin point of view ) . Now I honestly don't think I could cut it out without an alternative so I'm wondering whats out there ? Ideally something I could have in sandwiches or use instead of cheese on a pizza ...

I've an evergreen / dunnes / tesco ... locally so I'd ideally be looking for something in one of those.

Cheers for any advice,
    James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I was never really convinced myself, but vegans of my acquaintance used to swear by tahini and yeast extract together as a cheese substitute for sarnies or on toast. You can also buy vegan 'cheese' from wholefood shops but I've never seen it in a supermarket.

ymmv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I've tried a few different vegan cheeses. The redwood company cheese is the best of a bad bunch. Don't get you're hopes up though! They do a type that melts so you can use it on Pizza. There are also sliced cheese, I can't remember who makes it but they're pretty good.

As for the milk, I think the prammaval (probably spelt that wrong) rice milk is nice on tea. It has a kinda sweet taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Just bought the Redwood cheese today, the mature red cheddar one. Haven't tried it yet.
    Tofutti make a sliced red cheddar-type cheese which is only good if melted on or in something (imo), I found it inedible otherwise.
    I tried all the different soya milks and also rice milk and settled on Tesco Sweetened (it's honestly not sweet at all) Soya milk for tea and coffee. Very nice taste and very similar to Alpro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

OMG, the Redwood Cheezly Cheese is great!

I just ate a few slices from the block and it's good, a tad salty but nice cheesy texture and taste.
    So... purely for experimentational purposes, I made a toasted cheese sambo with it and it passed the test with flying colours! :)

Try it! I got it in one of the Nourish Health food shops in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

Oh yeah, the Tesco Sweetened Soya Milk is definitely very nice, and cheaper than alpro too which is great! I find that vegan cheese really tastes very little like real cheese, but once you get over that it's pretty good in its own right. And it is great melted! I did try one of the sliced kinds (melted) and found it like thick molten plastic!Not very tasty. But the Redwood Cheddar is very nice indeed melted on toast :). Redwood are generally a class company for veggie and vegan alternatives. Though expensive, its a safe bet if you want something tasty.I intend to try the mozerella style on pizza soon. Cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

The mozeralla version on pizza is yummy. But its really hard to grate and sort of crumbles into tiny pieces it doesn't melt all that much either but i was happy with it on pizza. Its so good in toasted sandwhiches too.

The Alpro soy milk is good as the soya beans don't come from reclaimed land in the rainforest, but i don't like the taste. I use Aldi soy milk. Its cheap!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I dont find any vegan cheese that good really but the Redwood one is the best of a bad lot.

For putting into sauces and on top of dishes i use nutritional yeast flakes which I find are yummy - I even eat them out of the pot!!

I only started buying them recently but have found them great.

You can get them from health food stores and the one I have is made by Marigold - the same people who make the bullion powder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

As vegan cheeses go I've never had much luck.
    Nothing comes really close but to be fair I haven't tried redwood cheeses so I'm looking to get me hands on some.
    They're not in supermarkets I take it?

Also, after trying every brand of soya milk on the market, we settled on Tesco unsweetened (yes the blue and white stripy one). It's miles better than ther rest and cheap as dairy milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Thanks for the suggestions people :) looks like I'll be doing some shopping later on and having a search for redwood "cheese" will let you know what I think

Will also get some of the tesco soya milk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Let us know if you find anywhere in Galway that does that Redwood cheese!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, i may even try it out.
    I imagine most melted vegan cheeses taste good on pizza.
    Try the evergreen by tesco as opposed to the one in town, better selection.
    Try Healthwise off of shop street too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, i have deffo seen some cheese in the health food store near tesco in galway. sure, they have other food for sure of the same brand; you could always just ask if they could get some in.

Nature Boy wrote:
    rice milk is nice on tea.
    i have to warn people that i am not of this opinion! rice milk leaves a very strong aftertaste in your mouth. i live on oatmilk, which is a tad better. the soya milk is best by far and the tesco one tastes grand. i wouldn't recommend almond milk in tea either; it's too weak. takes a bit of getting used to, but bearable on cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I usually don't drink any milk on tea especially if there's no non-dairy available, but I sometimes use rice milk. Each to their own I guess, no harm in trying! I've been meaning to try the oat milk or almond milk but they never have the added calcium which usually puts me off

you could always make your own almond milk (use a blender, i think i've seen the recipe on here somewhere) and add a powdered calcium tablet ;) well, there's an idea!

i've never seen any oat milk or almond milk with added calcium in the shops. and thats after being on oatmilk for a year :) tbh i've never worried about calcium intake (i'm sure you've heard it all; we are doing better than those eating dairy with our calcium intake, by avoiding milk, funnily enough, though i don't have a link on it, i've heard from a health food shop owner and somewhere else i think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

biZrb wrote:
    The Alpro soy milk is good as the soya beans don't come from reclaimed land in the rainforest, but i don't like the taste. I use Aldi soy milk. Its cheap!!!
    mmmmm... the Alpro chocolate soya is awesome.. I'm not vegan but I would still much prefer it to a dairy alternative, just leave it in the fridge for a while and shake it up before pouring. Also the little Alpro dessert packs are delicious (well the chocolate ones at least :-) )

Advertisement