Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teak front Door finish

Options
  • 09-04-2007 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all, really need direction here.

Joinery shop making me a teak front door which will be ready in a week or two. They do great work and the only problem is that they don't put a finish on the wood and deliver it untreated. Now, I have seen some teak front doors on houses which have faded and look desperate. I want to keep the natural timber look so won't be painting it. At a cost of 1800 I don't want it looking crap in a few years.

I'm in the westmeath area. Don't really want to tackle this myself, or can I?
    Anyone who has any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

Did my homework and discovered a product perfect for the job, simple to apply and looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Do tell!! Also could you PM me the details for the joinery! I am looking to get a door made up myself for the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Fatchance ,

The key thing to remember is that the damage is done by the sun not the rain . The varnish on a north facing door will last longer and the wood will remain darker than a south facing one .

pjq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

pjq wrote:
    Fatchance ,

The key thing to remember is that the damage is done by the sun not the rain . The varnish on a north facing door will last longer and the wood will remain darker than a south facing one .

pjq

NEVER use varnish on external timber unless it's specifically designed for the job. Standard varnish in time developes minute cracks and water gets in under varnish, mould eventually starts and you get that horrable greyness that you see on some teak front doors. You're right though, varnish does darken, but there is stuff that lightly staines the timber, protects it and keeps it's character also....nice:D

The product is coincidently discussed here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53153525&posted=1#post53153525

Salmon ---- I'll send that onto you asap. Btw those kingspan insulation plasterboards were 30e a pop 8"x4"...I'll pm ya when I get a mo

Advertisement