Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla Vs LS460

Options
  • 09-04-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that the LS460 looking like an inflated Corolla cheapens the 460 at all.

Surely the guy who turned up with the design for the 460 couldn't pretend he hadn't copied anyones homework when the Corolla was rolled out :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigkev49-2

Yeah thats a pretty strong family resemblance alright! Have to say that the new Corolla is way more attractive than the Avensis in the metal. Maybe we could play spot the difference with the two pics....

1. Front wing
    2. Side mirrors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

One difference is that I find the Corolla to be exponentially uglier than the outgoing model.

On the other hand the Lexus can handle the styling as a bigger car....It's a kind of Grandad/Kid resemblance, no major "spitting image" effect

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could probably argue the same about the Merc C Class coming from the same design studio as the S Class. There are alot of similarities in some of the styling. Doesn't seem to bother S Class owners too much though. Doesn't seem to bother Audi owners either, most of their cars being based on cheaper VWs.

The same goes with the Ford Focus saloon and Volvo S40. Both basically the same car underneath and look similarly styled from certain angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

bazz26 wrote:
    You could probably argue the same about the Merc C Class coming from the same design studio as the S Class. There are alot of similarities in some of the styling. Doesn't seem to bother S Class owners too much though. Doesn't seem to bother Audi owners either, most of their cars being based on cheaper VWs.

The same goes with the Ford Focus saloon and Volvo S40. Both basically the same car underneath and look similarly styled from certain angles.

Family resemblance is one thing but these are a total rip off of each other and supposed to be two totally different brands - and from my experience of Lexus drivers - just dare call their car a toyota and see their reaction - so why do lexota dare offend their clients by such an obvious resemblance.

With regard to Focus/V40 - less and less new models have completely unique platforms - do Opel rub your nose in it the Corsa is a Fiat Punto in drag ? Most people dont know or care, but they look nothing alike.

Btw - I wouldn't say most Audis - its only the A3, TT and Q7 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

RobAMerc wrote:
    With regard to Focus/V40 - less and less new models have completely unique platforms -

I would say the Focus/V40 is much more blatant than the Corolla/LS. At least in the flesh you will be able to differentiate pretty quickly between a humble Corolla and a Lexus 2x its size.

Again the Passat/Phaeton are the same... Everyone is guilty of the offence.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:
    With regard to Focus/V40 - less and less new models have completely unique platforms -

I would say the Focus/V40 is much more blatant than the Corolla/LS. At least in the flesh you will be able to differentiate pretty quickly between a humble Corolla and a Lexus 2x its size.

RobAMerc wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RobAMerc wrote:
    Family resemblance is one thing but these are a total rip off of each other and supposed to be two totally different brands - and from my experience of Lexus drivers - just dare call their car a toyota and see their reaction - so why do lexota dare offend their clients by such an obvious resemblance.

With regard to Focus/V40 - less and less new models have completely unique platforms - do Opel rub your nose in it the Corsa is a Fiat Punto in drag ? Most people dont know or care, but they look nothing alike.

Btw - I wouldn't say most Audis - its only the A3, TT and Q7 afaik.

Lexus is still a child company of the Toyota Corporation so there are bound to be similarities in design, etc. All the marketing in the world will not change that.

As for some Lexus drivers looking down their noses at Toyotas, all I would say to them is get over it and move on. Some people will still always consider the badge to be more important than the car itself and that is not just limited to one particular brand.

Personnally I could not care less whether the Corolla looks like the LS460 or any other car out there for that matter. Alot of cars look similar to each other these days and they may not be made by the same maker either. Another example being the new Seat Leon which looks very similar to the Alfa 147 from alot of angles, not surprising since the same guy designed both cars. It just doesn't bother me enough to care though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Actually as looking at the pics again, I can hardly see any resemblance at all - poor choice of pics I reckon as in real life I have to say they are quite similar imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote:
    Another example being the new Seat Leon which looks very similar to the Alfa 147 from alot of angles, not surprising since the same guy designed both cars. It just doesn't bother me enough to care though.

The Seat Leon looks like every new Seat launched since 04...It's even worse than the Passat/Jetta/Phaeton mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

corollasilveriw5.jpg

The IS is more similar to the new Corolla, look at the front bumper, particularly the lower section, also the shape of the rear lights.

corollarearov3.jpg

Also, check out the bumper mounted reflectors on both cars, not a usual feature on Toyota or Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Lexus is only a name for part of the Toyota range that is sold outside Japan, since 2005 these models are Lexus branded in their home country.
    Many of these second hand import Toyotas are arriving here and given Lexus branding immediately, ie Toyota Harrier = Lexus RX300. The only difference is probably with wind deflectors, Sports wing mirror and the number plate holders on the rear and maybe a few other differences that the importers didnt remove or change...

The Corolla sold here is totally different to the Japanese Corolla which has
    those driver mirror indicators as standard, I5 inch wheels with 4 bolts, a different front and rear and the name Corolla doesnt feature on the car as
    it is now a marque of its own spawning the Axio(saloon), fielder (estate) and
    the 2002 Verso which was never replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

colm_mcm wrote:
    Also, check out the bumper mounted reflectors on both cars, not a usual feature on Toyota or Lexus.

My Celica has reflectors on the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AntiVirus wrote:
    My Celica has reflectors on the bumper.

are they not rear fog lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

colm_mcm wrote:
    are they not rear fog lights?

I thought thats what you meant. :o

Advertisement