Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meadow to lawn conversion

Options
  • 09-04-2007 11:23pm

well as we rapidly approach the end of our self-build, we will soon need to look at the garden!

Most of the site is meadow grass and the basic question is how best to convert this to a (hard wearing) lawn.

I am thinking of just cutting with a (ride-on) lawn mower, first with a long setting then progressivly shorter, wouls this make sence?? I expect the blades would "ground" a few times if I used this approach. I have already removed as many stones as possible.

Apart from ploughing and starting from scratch, what could be the next step? I'm not after a bowling green just some half decent grass for the children to play on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have seen meadows cut low and fed which have turned in to fine lawns after a few years. They were no bowling greens but then few of our lawns are. Many lawns in rural areas go the othe way, they start with fine grasses and the natural meadow grass of the area takes over but with regular mowing noone can really tell the difference.

Thanks for that, it sounds like I just need to get a few boxes of feed 'n' weed and just cut it at regular intervals.

Advertisement