Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samson C01U USB Microphone.

Options
  • 10-04-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting this microphone. Click 1 Click 2.
    Basically, I'll be using it in conjuction with Audacity to record accoustic/classical guitar solos along with some vocals. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to recording. I have no set up at home, it'll all be done in the living room, or my bedroom. Will this microphone do what I need? From what I've read it's perfect for my needs, requires just the one device with no convaluted set up.
    I'd love to hear any comments you have, or suggestions on how to get the best quailty sound. One final question, I'm probably going to order this online, but it's a matter of some importance that I get this done quickly. Does anyone know where I could pick up this mic, or something similar within Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I'm looking into getting this microphone. Click 1 Click 2.
    Basically, I'll be using it in conjuction with Audacity to record accoustic/classical guitar solos along with some vocals. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to recording. I have no set up at home, it'll all be done in the living room, or my bedroom. Will this microphone do what I need? From what I've read it's perfect for my needs, requires just the one device with no convaluted set up.
    I'd love to hear any comments you have, or suggestions on how to get the best quailty sound. One final question, I'm probably going to order this online, but it's a matter of some importance that I get this done quickly. Does anyone know where I could pick up this mic, or something similar within Dublin?

A few things:

How much does it cost? I've heard some bad things about USB mics, and for the price I'm wondering what alternatives I should try.

I'm assuming it comes with its own ASIO drivers to bypass the problem of latency...although I don't think you can direct monitor. I'm pretty dubious, as it seems to bypass what you would conventionally deem necessary for a good mic, that is, a pre-amp.

For me, it isn't a bad mic...it's a bad idea. The whole USB mic thing, as I said is designed to eliminate the essentials of a signal chain: there is no interface, no pre-amp, no direct monitoring, the 16 bit sample resolution....how much were you willing to spend? You'll also need software (the second link uses Apples Garageband, which is a great program that coems standard on a mac).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

The C01U's own internal preamp seems to be fairly quiet, and the best results were obtained by turning this up until we had a reasonable level, then fine-tuning with the application's level control. If we left the C01U level low and compensated with more amplification in the application, noise levels seemed worse.

This seems to imply that the microphone does indeed have a preamp. Now, I have no idea what a preamp is, or does.

The price for this mic is about €70. Though, I could probably get it for less if I looked hard enough. That would probably be my budget at the moment. I'll be using audacity for the moment, if in the future I do more of this, I'll look into something a bit better. For now though, I just need something simple, that is better quality than simple PC mics.

A bit more information that could be of help - this is an image of the inputs I have on my pc.

inputslu3.jpg

As well as left/right audio + composite video on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

As long as you understand that you are buying an audio interface and a mic in one package for very cheap, and this will make it sound not as good as more expensive solutions, you will be fine. It will be an order of magnitude better than a regular PC mic.

I would strongly advise that you invest in a boom mic stand, make yourself a pop shield (nylon tights on a coathanger bent into a circle) and get a shockmount if the mic doesn't come with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I have this mic, its grand for the price, I used it to record vocals and guitar but its nothing special.

The song emily in my sig is what came from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Ah perfect! Thanks tripper! Yeah, that quality will do me just fine :D The person I'm recording it for won't have trouble at all with listening to it like that. Where did you get yours?

Thanks for all the response guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Got it in MusicMaker, needed it kind of urgently so just picked it up there. I think it was 70quid!

Advertisement