Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sneaky Cop on Templeogue Road!

• 10-04-2007 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Saw this cop hiding behind a lamp post on Templeogue Road at 5pm today

It's a bicycle cop, notice the bike parked against the wall:
    sneaky1.jpg

Gotchya!
    sneaky2.jpg

A lighter wallet for this poor TS reg driver
    sneaky3.jpg

sneaky4.jpg

sneaky5.jpg

I watched for about 20 mins and she pulled approx 7 or 8 cars.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a pedestrian back down the road that was nearly killed by that reckless idiot in the Peugeot. That garda is after saving their life!

Its a built up area so I kind of a agree with these speed checks as theres more people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I once seen a Garda lying in the grass at the side of the road beside Coca-Cola on the Long Mile Road with a speed gun in his hand. The grass is usually uncut there and he was well hidden. There was another 2 guys pulling people he caught just up the street at the entrance to Hino.

Sneaky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

For going higher than 50km/h on a perfectly straight road in perfect visibility?

Looks to me more like someone is trying to hit their targets so they get moved out of biker division =)

I personally find speed traps such as this where people are punished for overstepping the limits to a small degree very disagreeable

Hope some scumbag steals her bike!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

kbannon wrote:
    There is a pedestrian back down the road that was nearly killed by that reckless idiot in the Peugeot. That garda is after saving their life!

Time wasting operations like these do nothing for road safety

If she wanted to do something useful that would be pro-active and positive in enhancing road safety she should pop into the Pub up the road and quitely have a cofee whilst putiing the fear of God into the drink drivers.

She is by her mis-actions putting the Gardai in the lime light for total derision.

The public need more control of the Gardai and need greater control how limited resource i.e. traffic cops etc can be deployed for greater public safety

They demonstrably need to be taken to task for such virtually useless carry on.

all too often the useless option like this garda's reaching her targets is used to bolster "enforcement figures" that do fizz all for road safety.

If these actions worked road fatalities would be plummeting instead of rapidly increasing.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote:
    I once seen a Garda lying in the grass at the side of the road beside Coca-Cola on the Long Mile Road with a speed gun in his hand.
    He would want to be careful that a tractor doesn't come along to cut the grass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tails142 wrote:
    For going higher than 50km/h on a perfectly straight road in perfect visibility?

The road has loads of houses with drivways leading out onto a main road.

Whats th epoint in having any speed limits at all if there arnt going ot be either A) adhered to or b) enforced?

Bee wrote:
    If these actions worked road fatalities would be plummeting instead of rapidly increasing.

How do you figure? If people were smart they would be paying more attention, driving properly and not crashing, but they dont.

If the risk of dying doesnt stop people doing stupid thing andlooking after themsleves in cars, what hope have the gards?

The laws are there, the gards are there to enforce the laws.

Oh and sharp increase you say? wheres that now? http://www.actuaries.ie/About_the_Society/Society%20Publications/Newsletter/Newsletter_article_October_2006_.pdf

If anything, they are down a lot when you consider amount of drivers on the roads now compared to 20 ,30, 40 etc years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Here's a funny one, the mind boggles

crazy.jpg

I don't think people are suggesting that speed limits should not be enforced but looking at the pic the garda seemed to have plenty of time to go out and stand in front of the road to catch the oncoming Pug so IMO the Pug was not going that much over the limit.
    Furthermore, there is a barrier between the residents and the killer drivers, i.e. the bus lane.
    Would the garda spend as much time nabbing those residents who reverse out of their driveways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

crazy.jpg

I can find you 100s of far worse examples in Cork / Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Stekelly wrote:
    The road has loads of houses with drivways leading out onto a main road.

Whats th epoint in having any speed limits at all if there arnt going ot be either A) adhered to or b) enforced?

I would seriously doubt if there has been any road accident on that particular strecth of the Tempelogue road in the past 50 years.

I've never seen a garda actually checking speed limits as displayed in the advertisements on TV. They're always hiding behind road signs, bus stops etc. This particular bangarda looks as though she's paintballing. Their antics more than likely INCREASE the chances of there being a serious road accident.

Sorry to throw out an all to often used phrase but, surely there's a real crime going on somewhere?

embraer170 wrote:
    I can find you 100s of far worse examples in Cork / Kerry.
    Please, send the photos on, I'm compiling a little collection :-)

Tails142 wrote:
    I would seriously doubt if there has been any road accident on that particular strecth of the Tempelogue road in the past 50 years.?

Whys that? I could just as easily make up a similar quote about any other road. Wouldnt make it true though.
    Tails142 wrote:
    I've never seen a garda actually checking speed limits as displayed in the advertisements on TV. They're always hiding behind road signs, bus stops etc. This particular bangarda looks as though she's paintballing. Their antics more than likely INCREASE the chances of there being a serious road accident.

How do you figure? If you get starled and have an accident because of a gard in hi-vis gear stepping out and telling you to stop 50 yards in front of you then your not paying enough attention and shouldnt be allowed to drive. If someone hits the back of you as a result of the above situation, the same applies.
    Tails142 wrote:
    Sorry to throw out an all to often used phrase but, surely there's a real crime going on somewhere?

Yeah, there was a murder being reported down the road but she chose to ignore it and even went so far as to switch her radio off as it was distracting her. :rolleyes:

Oh and theres also a lot of school kids on both sides of that road during the day. Admittedly not this week but i'd imagine this isnt the first time the gards have been on the road.

Other than that, its just a very busy road.

Tails142 wrote:

Speeding is a crime....

crazy.jpg
    How did the writing get on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Useless bitch, probably all shes good for!

I always thought the gardas on push bikes were patrolling as in instead of walking around the streets having a presence catching/deterring scumbags, they were cycling around. I remember when the new sergant came to my local town he was saying how he was all in favour of more on the beat gardai and all that lark which is whats needed. But when you see the likes of that ejit out doing speed checks it makes you sick. What a waste of resources. they`ll try tell you that the pushbike numptys are out doing real garda work but they really have them out as revenue collectors.

Fookin laughable im my opinion. How many peoples cars got broken into last night, or today even whilst people were walking on the beach. Pity them fooks arent so good at hiding in carparks at beaches catching scumbags breaking into cars. Oh wait,,, that might actually be worthwhile and not easy/soft targets that give trouble when caught unlike motorists doing 10mph over the limit.

Ah nutzzy, what took you so long?

On second thoughts, that emergency services forum might be a good idea. We could make it private and it could be just for you.

Seriously why not make the garda bashing a profession? So in your informed opinion, at what level does acrime become worthy of being enforced? becuase we should just take everything below that line and legalise it. No point in a gard taking a few minutes out of their day to stop a shoplifter when there may be a burglar or mugger down the road if they just walk on by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I reckon these biker cops have to hit a figure so they can get off the bike and back into the office. Last Sunday morning I left my estate and drove to the roundabout that connects with the main road. It was 8 am and the woman in the car in front was being rather careful.

Now Stevie Wonder could see that there was nothing on the road, but she stopped anyway.

She then turned right on the roundabout and accelerated up to a mind boggling 40Km/h in about 7 seconds.

The voice in my head said, "F*ck this Tony, we're going to work. Pass this eejit." So I duly obliged and could see a speckle of yellow in the distance struggling up the hill (slight gradient). He cycled his bike across the road in front of me and put up his hand. As I approached I could see that it was a kid in a Garda uniform. (They must have given him the bike because he's not old enough to get a licence).

I slammed on the brakes so hard it completely obliterated the ABS and sent the car into a massive 360 degree spin leaving me staring in the direction of the cop who took about 5 seconds to cycle up to me. :rolleyes: Actually I'd barely reached 60k

He came up to my window, waved your woman behind me on (she'd stopped behind me) and said in a squeaky voice "You were going a bit fast there"

I was so gobsmacked I was lost for words and looked at him with my mouth hanging open. Was this guy for real? "Where are you coming from?"
    (Why do they ask this? What does it matter?) Pointing into the estate I'd just left I said, "I live in there".

"Ok, you know how it is, you have to be careful of these fellahs in their fancy BMWs. Go ahead".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote:
    I don't think people are suggesting that speed limits should not be enforced but looking at the pic the garda seemed to have plenty of time to go out and stand in front of the road to catch the oncoming Pug so IMO the Pug was not going that much over the limit.
    That road looks pretty straight to me, the speed of oncoming cars could therefore be read from quite far away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

im sure none of the people with kids in houses nearby are complaining about a speed check.

nuttzy, at this stage your ill thought out comments are growing tiresome. you seem to have a massive grievance with the gardai - i can get you an address to write to if you like? maybe you could offer some constructive criticism.

in my opinion all laws have to be enforced, because if the minor infringements are ignored, the ante is upped and then the "minor" offences become more serious (sorry if i didnt explain this well). yes we need to address other areas of concern, but we also need to be realistic. unfortunately, there are not enough rank and file gardai to maintain a programme of high visibility policing on a long term basis. this will hopefully change, but may not for some time yet. it basically comes down to mis management at a minesterial/garda management level - you cant blame that girl for doing her job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Break the speed limit - Breaking the law, Period.

If you have an issue with it, go vote for someone who agrees with your views. Otherwise pay the price when you get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

ronoc wrote:
    How did the writing get on the road?
    crazya.jpg

Does it matter? The issue is that a "sneaky bean garda was catching motorists breaking the law and some people here find that this is not fair and that real crime fighting should be undertaken by the lady cop on the bicycle.

As far as tat ultra foolish commentary about those speed limits of 80 and 100 kph are concerned let me once again point out that they are MAXIMUM SPEED LIMITS! You are not obliged to actually drive your car to those maximim limits and any real experienced driver will drive to the current road conditions.

The law is the law and the gardai are there to enforce it. You are not the one who decides where to deploy the garda forces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Heinrich wrote:
    As far as tat ultra foolish commentary about those speed limits of 80 and 100 kph are concerned let me once again point out that they are MAXIMUM SPEED LIMITS! You are not obliged to actually drive your car to those maximim limits and any real experienced driver will drive to the current road conditions.

The law is the law and the gardai are there to enforce it. You are not the one who decides where to deploy the garda forces!

The point a lot of people are making about the 80/100kph zones is that while you are legally allowed to drive these roads at 80 or 100, you will invariably be a lot more dangerous then some one doing 125kph in a 120kph zone on the m50 - yet it is the guy on the m50 that will get done for it and cited as a dangerous driver, which is freaking ridiculas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah we're quickly descending into the "speeding is ALWAYS ALWAYS WRONG" vs "INAPPROPRIATE speeding is the problem" (I'm in the latter camp by the way) debate again.

Let me say that I always try to drive at the posted limit when safe to do so. I don't dawdle along doing 70/80 in a 100 if I've an open road ahead of me, but equally in a built up area I will do 30/40 (or less) if the conditions warrant it.

The fact is that the current "strategy" behind the placing of these speed traps is more about being SEEN to do something, stats, and revenue generation than actual road safety. GTC said on the other thread that the average Garda KNOWS a lot of the real danger happens on secondary routes, but they're bound by the orders of their "superiors" (naturally).

That's what the problem is. The usual "lets appear to be doing something rather than ACTUALLY doing something" attitude that's prevalent in so much of our public/state bodies.

Tauren wrote:
    The point a lot of people are making about the 80/100kph zones is that while you are legally allowed to drive these roads at 80 or 100, you will invariably be a lot more dangerous then some one doing 125kph in a 120kph zone on the m50 - yet it is the guy on the m50 that will get done for it and cited as a dangerous driver, which is freaking ridiculas.

Again, let me reiterate - it is not up to the public to decide where the Gardai are to be deployed!

The real experienced driver drives to the prevailing conditions not the maximum speed allowed! If those idiots who crashed int he Naas fog recently drove to the prevailing conditions there would not have been any pileup!

Heinrich wrote:
    crazya.jpg

Does it matter? The issue is that a "sneaky bean garda was catching motorists breaking the law and some people here find that this is not fair and that real crime fighting should be undertaken by the lady cop on the bicycle.

Heinrich, I have driven on that road in the photo and there is no part of it where 80kmh is a suitable speed to drive, the absolute maximum limit should be 50kmh, or even less. There is a big problem with how speed limits are decided in this country. Relatively safe roads such as the Naas Dual Carriageway have limits of 60kmh with Guards hiding in the grass with speed guns while there are roads such as this one in the picture with a crazy limit of 80kmh.

Heinrich wrote:
    Again, let me reiterate - it is not up to the public to decide where the Gardai are to be deployed!

The real experienced driver drives to the prevailing conditions not the maximum speed allowed! If those idiots who crashed int he Naas fog recently drove to the prevailing conditions there would not have been any pileup!
    I agree regarding conditions - i just happen to think that in certain conditions it is still safe to do 130 on the m50. Sometimes limits are too low, just as they can be too high.

And yes, i agree about the people on the Naas road, many of them have to have been driving too fast for the conditions.

Again, as has been said many times, speed should be appropriate to the conditions, but it goes in both directions at times.

As for the deployment of the Gardi, while it is not up to me, it should be, at least in part, up to the public. The expample in this thread itself is poor imo, as it is a built up area with loads of house - imo the place we SHOULD have speed checks, but speed checks on the m50 can be a joke, obvioulsy just imo. I would image there would be a sizable portion of the public that would prefer to see speed traps in areas where people speed and that speed is completely inappropriate - such as outside a school, or in a built up area like in the pic starting off this thread, as opposed to gardi camping on the m50 and high quality dual carraigeways that do not intersect built up or resedntial areas.

I'm not saying remove all speed limtis on the m50, or never check it for speeders, but in my time driving, which i admit is not long, I have never seen a speed check in any area i would consider dangerous, in relation to both the number of people breaking the limit through that area, and the type of area it is. I have only ever seen them on the motorway, and i do not believe these have been set up with road safety as the main goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That section of the Templeogue road has always been a bit contentious in terms of the speed. It's nice and straight and safe looking.
    You have to remember though that as a rule, roadways with pedestrian walkways (i.e. paths) beside them, will almost always have a speed limit of 50km/h or 60km/h (in the case of wider carriageways or separated walkways). It's not really to protect people pulling out of their driveways, instead to protect people using the relatively narrow paths on either side of the road.
    The Bus lane is also not 24 hour, so theoretically there's no "buffer" there to proetct that path. It seems like a great road when you're on it. But go down it one day when there's a gaggle of kids using the path and messing and chatting, and think about blasting by them within a few feet at 60 or even 80 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

passed her yesterday - the gas thing is she was doing random breath testing for cars in the bus lane so I have no idea why she was hiding???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I don't know, one thread people are complaining that the Guard's spend all day drink coffee and eating doughnuts, now people are giving out because a Guard is doing her work. Seems like a no win situation.
    Anyone caught over the limit has no complaints, the speed limit is clearly signposted, as are the schools, and tennis club in the area. It will make people be more observant when using this road.

Heinrich, I have driven on that road in the photo and there is no part of it where 80kmh is a suitable speed to drive, the absolute maximum limit should be 50kmh, or even less. There is a big problem with how speed limits are decided in this country. Relatively safe roads such as the Naas Dual Carriageway have limits of 60kmh with Guards hiding in the grass with speed guns while there are roads such as this one in the picture with a crazy limit of 80kmh.

As you have percieved, there is no part of the road where 8o kph is a suitable speed so let me congratulate you on your driving experience. No if everybody had your sense of perception...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I live around the corner from where the pic of the sneaky garda was taken. To answer somebodys response above, yes I am local and I object.
    I was out on my bike on friday (think it was fri) and out of the blue she stepped out in front of me and pulled me in to stop.
    Random breath tested me. I had no objection. However I do object to the sneak and hide. I had to pull in fairly hard on the brakes ... I hadn't been speeding... was in first at 50km/h. She just stepped out in front of me, out of the blue with little warning.
    Another favored hiding spot is behind the bus shelter at the spawell roundabout where the speed drops from 80km/h down to 60 coming off the m50. Thats another place I object to the hide and sneak attitude.
    It should not be about generating revenue. Hiding.
    I want a visible police presence. I want people to see from miles off there is a garda present which encourages people to take it easy ... not a slam on the brakes at the last minute culture which is what is happening.
    Too often I have been driving to find somebody in front slam on the brakes cause they have suddenly noticed a hidden garda or a garda has suddenly stepped out. I follow the 2 second rule, most people do not, and as a motorcyclist this garda attitude is lethal to us.

agent_smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I was out on my bike on friday (think it was fri) and out of the blue she stepped out in front of me and pulled me in to stop.
    Random breath tested me. I had no objection. However I do object to the sneak and hide. I had to pull in fairly hard on the brakes ... I hadn't been speeding... was in first at 50km/h. She just stepped out in front of me, out of the blue with little warning.

Think if that guard was a child who had run out on the road? You should always be driving at a speed that would allow you to stop/avoid someone if something out of the blue happened. If its a built up area, you shouldn't necessarily be driving at the posted limit on the road as a child could run out of a house...
    Its a lot of "what ifs" but it does happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

Templeogue road is quite straight but the paths are narrow and there are a couple of schools on it. People have a tendancy to speed on it. There was a fatality on this road in the last few months where a pedestrian was killed on the path on a perfectly straight road.

Now if a garda steps out in front of you on your bike and you struggle to stop, what difference is that to a child running out in front of you.

I'm a biker myself and the gardai have veered in front of me and pulled me over to check my tax so i know what they are like.

But in this case i don't see any problem with what she was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Everyone who complains about this sneaky Guard should think this way about, If a 5foot plus Guard in a bright yellow jacket walks out in front of you, what is stopping a 5foot minius child in dark clothing running out in front of you. People here seem more interested in car crashes rather than pedestrains / cyclist getting knocked down.
    There are houses on both sides of the road here, so it should be treated the same way as a housing estate.

Everyone who complains about this sneaky Guard should think this way about, If a 5foot plus Guard in a bright yellow jacket walks out in front of you, what is stopping a 5foot minius child in dark clothing running out in front of you. People here seem more interested in car crashes rather than pedestrains / cyclist getting knocked down.
    There are houses on both sides of the road here, so it should be treated the same way as a housing estate.
    i understand what you are saying, and i agree with you - a kid could quite easily run out in front of you. However, a kid is unlikely to deliberately step out in front of you and just stand there, thus increasing the chances of you hitting them, they'd be moving across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

isn't it great to see the gardai doin their job. i'm sure if her bosses see this post she might get a commendation!

well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

yayamark wrote:
    isn't it great to see the gardai doin their job. i'm sure if her bosses see this post she might get a commendation!

well done.

my only complaint is that those pants do nothing for her :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I commend this Garda for doing what a Garda is paid to do. It's a pity a few more of them don't secret themselves around our roads and catch more speeders. There is nothing sneaky about catching people breaking the law. It's incredible how people complain here about Gardaí doing thieir job or Speed Cameras being erected. Stick to the speed and there can be no complaints all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Tails142 wrote:
    I would seriously doubt if there has been any road accident on that particular strecth of the Tempelogue road in the past 50 years.

Alot you know there was a fatality on that stretch of road a few years back and have been a few serous ones involving motor bikes and cars. If I lived on that road I would like to get in and out of my house without the fear of being hit and also what about the school and kids who live in the area. People are always giving out that Guards are only doing checdks on eth big roads outside the Capital and when they pick on a residential area they are wrong

And the comment about real crime what a load of crap I suppose criminals all walk so the chances of not spotting them speeding etc would not happen thats why there are different sections in the Guards to deal with all aspects of society I wonder will they set up one to deal with ****

Templeogue road is quite straight but the paths are narrow and there are a couple of schools on it. People have a tendancy to speed on it. There was a fatality on this road in the last few months where a pedestrian was killed on the path on a perfectly straight road.

Now if a garda steps out in front of you on your bike and you struggle to stop, what difference is that to a child running out in front of you.

I'm a biker myself and the gardai have veered in front of me and pulled me over to check my tax so i know what they are like.

But in this case i don't see any problem with what she was doing.

Again to reiterate, I was not travelling beyond the speed limit. I was making progress at the speed limit as you are required to by the road safety council.
    I've completed ROSPA silver star and going for my gold. I'm training to become a ROSPA instructor presently. That is not to say I'm an infallible driver. Far from it.. just to get across I do not naiivly follow the speed limit blindly. I was driving to the conditions..
    Information -> Position -> Speed -> Gear -> Acceleration.
    Motorcycle roadcraft as taught to the Gardaí here by Tony Toner and Police in Britain.
    This is what i was following when she ran out.
    Saying I was going too fast or not driving to conditions because i had to pull on brakes hard is rediculous.
    As I said already. I was able to stop in good time. I object to having to stop hard unnecessarily however. For a child fine... they have no sense. They do not understand the potential hazard they create to themselvs and others when they run out unawares. A guard on the other hand should know they danger they create.
    What harm would it cause to step out and give good notice you want somebody to stop. This isn't a war zone where you dont want to give away your position for fear of being shot. This is about safety. At all points in the chain. A good deal rests with gardaí in this regard too.
    If it is about road safety... why hide in bushes and jump out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Again to reiterate, I was not travelling beyond the speed limit. I was making progress at the speed limit as you are required to by the road safety council.
    I've completed ROSPA silver star and going for my gold. I'm training to become a ROSPA instructor presently. That is not to say I'm an infallible driver. Far from it.. just to get across I do not naiivly follow the speed limit blindly. I was driving to the conditions..
    Information -> Position -> Speed -> Gear -> Acceleration.
    Motorcycle roadcraft as taught to the Gardaí here by Tony Toner and Police in Britain.
    This is what i was following when she ran out.
    Saying I was going too fast or not driving to conditions because i had to pull on brakes hard is rediculous.
    As I said already. I was able to stop in good time. I object to having to stop hard unnecessarily however. For a child fine... they have no sense. They do not understand the potential hazard they create to themselvs and others when they run out unawares. A guard on the other hand should know they danger they create.
    What harm would it cause to step out and give good notice you want somebody to stop. This isn't a war zone where you dont want to give away your position for fear of being shot. This is about safety. At all points in the chain. A good deal rests with gardaí in this regard too.
    If it is about road safety... why hide in bushes and jump out?

So what speed did she do you for then???

I didnt' get done. Read the thread. I was random breath tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Too often I have been driving to find somebody in front slam on the brakes cause they have suddenly noticed a hidden garda or a garda has suddenly stepped out.
    i.e too often you have been driving too fast and or too close to the car in front.
    If you were both doing max the limit then there is no reason to slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GreeBo wrote:
    i.e too often you have been driving too fast and or too close to the car in front.
    Where did you get that from? Try driving in Dublin for a while. So many people see even as little as a reflective jacket or a car parked at the side of the road (doesn't even have to be a Garda), and they jam on and start driving waaaay below the limit.

I commend this Garda for doing what a Garda is paid to do. It's a pity a few more of them don't secret themselves around our roads and catch more speeders. There is nothing sneaky about catching people breaking the law. It's incredible how people complain here about Gardaí doing thieir job or Speed Cameras being erected. Stick to the speed and there can be no complaints all round.

If a cop stands outside a bank, what is the chance that the particular bank will not be robbed while the cop is outside?
    If a cop sits outside a pub at closing time whats the chance that there'll be a lot of people picking up their cars from the pub car park the next day?

Let me give you a perfect example of why a visible presence will ensure that long term results are gained.

A couple of years ago, on the Tallaght ByPass between the M50 and Spawell roundabout as you travel toward the city, there was a 50/50 chance that there was either a cop behind the bus shelter at the roundabout or a van on the grass verge outside the pitch and putt course. Now while the cop was effectively doing the same as the Garda in the OP's picture, the amount of time that there was a Garda or two there meant that people expected to see a head peeking from behind the shelter and as a result less and less people were caught speeding as time went by. The effect was the same as having a Garda presence there 24-7. The ultimate aim of any campaign like this one should be to eventually catch nobody.

If you drive down this stretch of dual carraigeway at any time of the day or night it will be a rare thing to see anybody break the 60 KM/h limit. Consistent enforcement in a wide number of locations is the answer. As people get to know that they could be caught anytime and anywhere, speeding will become less of an issue. This nonsense of once off, hiding around the corner enforcement, does nothing more than generate revenue for government and piss people off.

Too often I have been driving to find somebody in front slam on the brakes cause they have suddenly noticed a hidden garda or a garda has suddenly stepped out.

Unless they are speeding they have no reason to break suddenly and hard, if they are speeding then tough, it's their own fault.

If drivers arent competant enough to not have to lock up their breaks at the sight of a gard they are driving too fast and shouldnt be in a car.

DubTony wrote:
    I
    A couple of years ago, on the Tallaght ByPass between the M50 and Spawell roundabout as you travel toward the city, there was a 50/50 chance that there was either a cop behind the bus shelter at the roundabout or a van on the grass verge outside the pitch and putt course. Now while the cop was effectively doing the same as the Garda in the OP's picture, the amount of time that there was a Garda or two there meant that people expected to see a head peeking from behind the shelter and as a result less and less people were caught speeding as time went by. The effect was the same as having a Garda presence there 24-7. The ultimate aim of any campaign like this one should be to eventually catch nobody..

They were always hidden behind the bus shelter, exactly like the gard in the op, so whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Seriously though, a lot of the speed limits aren't realistic. There are motorways close to me and stretches of them are 60kmph and other back roads with 100kmph limits on them, if you tried to do those speeds on them you'd kill yourself.

Stekelly wrote:
    They were always hidden behind the bus shelter, exactly like the gard in the op, so whats the difference?

eh ... you missed a bit. Obviously using italics wasn't enough. I'll make it BOLD for you
    ME wrote:
    Now while the cop was effectively doing the same as the Garda in the OP's picture, the amount of time that there was a Garda or two there meant that people expected to see a head peeking from behind the shelter and as a result less and less people were caught speeding as time went by. The effect was the same as having a Garda presence there 24-7.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement