Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sneaky Cop on Templeogue Road!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Originally Posted by Golferx
    The single biggest/most successful item I've seen for slowing people down is the roadside sign which flashes if someone is exceeding the speed limit. These signs have a RADAR detector and indicate the speed of your car as you approach, flashing if you're above a set level. This is effective because it shows the driver what they are actually doing and are not a draconian, selective, enforcement of the Law, catching out innocent drivers who might be driving perfectly safely but exceeding a limit.

On several of the main roads into Tralee they signs that light up if you're over the limit. Not quite the same but still effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

i suppose if a child got killed on that road, it is a built up area, cos some idiot was speeding, the very same people on here would be saying the guards arent doing their jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

event wrote:
    i suppose if a child got killed on that road, it is a built up area, cos some idiot was speeding, the very same people on here would be saying the guards arent doing their jobs
    No, i`d be saying them skangery parents should mind their kids properly and keep them under control. If a small kid gets knocked down its the parents fault, not the kids or the motorists.

The guards were speed detecting in my local village yesterday, 3 of the useless fooks standing around a tripod camera. So, lets get things in perspective here. They`re are cars being robbed left, right and centre lately, there seems to be a mad joy-riding craze recently with loads of cars being burned out. So all this is going on, and yet 3 guards are doing useless speed detecting (tax collecting) on genuine motorists on a long straight 30mph road through on a clear/extra sunny day in my local village. What a disgusting waste of resources.

Suit them better to be spinning around dirty knackery estates looking for peoples cars that were stolen. I know a few lads that had their cars stolen, and they ended up driving around themselves looking for their cars and finding them and all the guards had to say was sure what can we do, its probably burned out by now. Imagine how you`d feel if your car was stolen, you ring the cops and they say the above,,, you then go for a spin around with a mate trying to find your car and all you see is 3 useless fooks standing around a tripod gathering tax on already heavily taxed decent people/motorists. it really is a farce as far as im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

GreeBo wrote:

I look at it differently I guess, to me it makes sense to put speed cameras on the roads where the most cars are speeding.
    I have asked this question before on another thread, not to you GreeBo, but perhaps as you are a proponent of this idea you may be able to answer.

How does catching people doing 130KPH on the M50 stop drivers killing themsleves on R roads in Donegal?
    GreeBo wrote:
    Yes people are speeding on rural roads and yes the roads are probably more dangerous but I think it will take far too long to change driver habits using these roads to "punish" people.
    But if they only drive on the rural roads.........

Again, as I posted on another thread, if the purpose of the speed checks is to reduce road deaths then the best way to do it is to target the roads where people are dying.

We have to get away from the attitude that people speeding are the root of all evil and must be punished. I agree that there should be speed limits, and to a certain extent, people should be punushed for exceeding them.

The problem I have is this, catching drivers over the limit in places where the roads are fairly safe, whilst enforcing the law, does not really do much for road safety. It will not stop a driver taking a corner in an accident blackspot faster than he or his vehicle is capable of taking it, even though he may be travelling at a legal speed.

What should happen is a full review of speed limits. I would not propose increasing limits on motorways as such, but possibly a relaxation of enforement where national speed limits apply.

At the same time I would like to see limits on a lot of roads, R roads for example, coming down. In addition, I would like to see even lower limits in areas where there is a history of incidents, bad corners for example. These even lower limits would be enforced by overt & highly advertised cameras which would ensure that drivers negotiate the hazard at a safe speed. Warnings would be posted, "speed camera 500 metres, " "speed camera 200 metres" etc. These cameras would most likely not catch anyone speeding, they would be 100% for safety and no one could argue with that. They would be effective in that they would change behaviour right there and then.

The same principle could be used in high risk areas like schools and other built up areas.

For me speed enforcement is not about detecting and punishing every single infraction of the speeding laws but to reduce the number of people killed on our roads.

I know it gets trotted out a lot but the problem in Ireland is not really speed. It is inappropriate speed. No one on the M4 was speeding a few weeks ago they were all driving withing the law. But their speed was certainly not appropriate for the conditions.

Once we get the limits the way they should be and see what effect it has on road deaths, then perhaps we could look at increasing the limits on motorways.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Nuttzy wrote:
    No, i`d be saying them skangery parents should mind their kids properly and keep them under control. If a small kid gets knocked down its the parents fault, not the kids or the motorists.

The guards were speed detecting in my local village yesterday, 3 of the useless fooks standing around a tripod camera. So, lets get things in perspective here. They`re are cars being robbed left, right and centre lately, there seems to be a mad joy-riding craze recently with loads of cars being burned out. So all this is going on, and yet 3 guards are doing useless speed detecting (tax collecting) on genuine motorists on a long straight 30mph road through on a clear/extra sunny day in my local village. What a disgusting waste of resources.

Suit them better to be spinning around dirty knackery estates looking for peoples cars that were stolen. I know a few lads that had their cars stolen, and they ended up driving around themselves looking for their cars and finding them and all the guards had to say was sure what can we do, its probably burned out by now. Imagine how you`d feel if your car was stolen, you ring the cops and they say the above,,, you then go for a spin around with a mate trying to find your car and all you see is 3 useless fooks standing around a tripod gathering tax on already heavily taxed decent people/motorists. it really is a farce as far as im concerned.

We would do well to remember that its not Gardai and sergeants that decide what to do with their time. This is decided by the Dept of Justice, without any input from rank and file.

Inspectors, Supts and Chief Supts just bend over and take it, and order the cops to do these waste of time exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nuttzy wrote:

of course, it's well know that every child that has every been knocked down had 'skangery' parents and it was all their fault. It couldn't ever be the drivers fault. what a crock of sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The guard in the first few pictures is not doing a speed trap. She's simply conducting a routine checkpoint as all active Gardaí would do when scheduled for duty on the bicycle.

She doesn't need to be in the pub to put the fear of God into people; the fact that she's coming up out of nowhere is enough of a deterrant to let people know that there could be a Garda around the next corner at any given moment.

Don't forget; the numbers of drink drivers being caught is starting to hit the community; just wait until they finalise the introduction of the newer, more severe penalties for it; then there'll be heads rolling and people thinking twice as a result of it.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

psni wrote:
    We would get into sooo much trouble if we were seen hiding behind lampposts like this, and I'm pretty sure she would too if her superiors seen these pictures.

There are guidelines which must be followed for these type of detections, and this evidence indicates she hasn't followed them.

If anyone reading this thread was caught by her and were to produce these pictures to a judge, I guarantee you the case would be struck out.

Roll on Garda Ombudsman...
    What are the guidelines you go by? I presume you are a policeman in NI?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The guard in the first few pictures is not doing a speed trap. She's simply conducting a routine checkpoint as all active Gardaí would do when scheduled for duty on the bicycle.
    Really?
    So whats in her hand?
    sneaky5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

kbannon wrote:
    Really?
    So whats in her hand?
    Her hairdryer? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

psni wrote:
    We would get into sooo much trouble if we were seen hiding behind lampposts like this, and I'm pretty sure she would too if her superiors seen these pictures.

There are guidelines which must be followed for these type of detections, and this evidence indicates she hasn't followed them.

If anyone reading this thread was caught by her and were to produce these pictures to a judge, I guarantee you the case would be struck out.

Roll on Garda Ombudsman...

sorry to be the one to inform u that there is nothing wrong with the way this speed check was conducted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

kbannon wrote:
    Really?
    So whats in her hand?
    sneaky5.jpg

A price gun !

- She puts stickers on the sweets in the overpriced Spar in Terenure as a nixer ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

As always the Gardai are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

I think this area was an excellent choice for a speed check and this Garda should be complimented.

Performing it on a good straight stretch of roadway (for stopping cars safely) in a built up residential area. I presume she was using the pole to balance the speed gun and or hide.

I have no objection to her hiding as everybody will see her anyway, and it gives the impression that you will never know where a speed check is as there could always be a garda hiding somewhere.

She might have been conducting the speed check of her own choice, or she might have been sent there by her superiors following complaints by local residents. Nobody here knows.

I suppose she could have been out catching drug lords, armed robbers and rapists on her bike (and given the detectives whos job this is a well earned break) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sneakycop

hello all... I am that sneaky cop on Templeogue Road. That day I gave out penalty points and fines to 13 people. If I was standing on the pavement being highly visible, speeders would not have been caught. The only way to teach people a lesson is to hit them hard with penalty points and fines..maybe then they will think of the consequences of speeding. by the way watch out cos im always about... :) also i was not directed by my superiors to conduct that speed check...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

and on that note...
    thread locked finally!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement