Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car can do well over 100k miles

Options
  • 10-04-2007 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Wondering what family/executive cars can do over 100k miles these days?

Merc used to have a reputation for this...

Anyone got personal experience on their motor thats done high mileage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

From your post i can easily say you have very little (or no) experiance with cars if you have to ask what car will do over 100K.

Answer = ALL OF THEM

With today's technology and engineering all car's should be well capable of doing at least 200K.

Most manufactures give 3 to 7 years warrenty, guess why?

I personally am driving a Volkswagen passat with over 200k.
    I previously had an Octavia with similiar milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

my 10 year old mazda 323 has about 92k on the clock and is still going fine, starts up every morning no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Answer = ALL OF THEM
    Except Fiats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Diesel's last longer....Any of them.

Like Dubs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I know a 10 year old Hyundai Accent at 105,000+ miles, and doing just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Have an 01 Mondeo with 152k on the clock and (fingers crossed!) going very sweetly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gurgle wrote:
    Except Fiats.
    Fiats or anything uder the Fiat group?

My Alfa 156 is on 83k and running fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

my old astra which gf has inherited is 00 with almost 135000 miles on it going just fine,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

My buddie's old fella has a 88 Jetta 2L Diesel with 480k on it. That bucket is still going, he's annoyed in a way because he wants to get a MKII Octavia, but won't until the Jetta gives up the ghost!!

And it doesn't look like its happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I had an '85 Honda accord Exc in the late 80's-90's. I sold it with 360K on the clock and it was running no problems.
    Of course, with mileages like you will have to change some components just due to wearing out. I got great value out of that car, as I have all of the Honda's I've had since the 80's.

Look after your cars and you shouldn't have many problems with them, unless you get a LEMON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Fiats or anything uder the Fiat group?

My Alfa 156 is on 83k and running fine.
    My sisters '99 Punto had over 100k miles...in saying that it was in and out of the garage so many times I can't remember, kept a mechanic in a fulltime job and went through about 4 head gaskets! :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My 523i will cross 100k miles before the 22nd of April (its registrations 10th anniversary). Engine is as sweet as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

See my sig - 320d, 109k miles, and it drives like a new one. For sale, btw..;)
    Bought a 97 Corolla xli yesterday, 108k miles. Perfect, and don't anticipate any bother.
    Fiats, I know someone who put 100k on a Marea diesel in 3 years, and never had to open the bonnet, so I'm not wearing the alfa/fiat bashing thing, either...

Besides, if you do, you'll have to knock Saabs, Opels etc all of your list too.........they all have Fiat diesel engines...........one of the best there is, the Multijet.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

seen a c220 (deisel) in portugal with over 200,000 ( can't remember if it was on the clock or the taxi man told me )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Gurgle wrote:
    Except Fiats.

Theres been a few Fiats in my family that have done much more. The highest was a 1984 uno that had about 300k on the clock when it was traded in, it was spoted over a year later still driving. Any car will do mega mileage when it's looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

redman wrote:
    Wondering what family/executive cars can do over 100k miles these days?

Merc used to have a reputation for this...

Anyone got personal experience on their motor thats done high mileage?

well that Merc rep has long gone.... them and fiats are the only two that wont reach 100k

well that Merc rep has long gone.... them and fiats are the only two that wont reach 100k

what a sweeping statement, I'd ask the OP to listen to weigh only those opinions based on fact.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    what a sweeping statement, I'd ask the OP to listen to weigh only those opinions based on fact.

sweeping but true.... ask any fiat or merc driver with a car over 100k....

thats if you find one...

I've just asked myself, and no, both were fine..........

a neighbour of mine has a 240d with 260k+ miles on it now..........my brother's Saab has 108k and my sister-in-law's 318 coupe just gone the magic 100k. In particular, my brother's/sis-in-law's cars are mint, and drive like new. Good argument for buying cars over 100k, actually, to save money...........

Ode To The Motorist

doesn't look like a 100k car to me..........it's all down to how you mind them, tbh.........irrespective of the brand.

[IMG]http://www.sip-energy.com/318 interior.jpg[/IMG]

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My Mondeo has 98k on the clock. It is Desiel though and the car itself looks like new. Well looked after and serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thats if you find one...

You just had to look one post before yours. Another great post there squiggles.
    galwaytt wrote:
    See my sig - 320d, 109k miles, and it drives like a new one. For sale, btw..

00 320D, at 111K now (have only had it since 95K or so), but still a joy to drive. (though may also be for sale soon!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

All of my aunt's Fiats which she had from new had well over 100k on the clock and all fine. 2 mates have/had Fiats with over that figure and no problems.
    Stupid sweeping statements should be ignored.
    All cars will do well over 100k if looked after. In fact, the only car I know of to give major problems under that was a 13 month old A4 with the dreaded 1.8T under the bonnet... siezed! And guess what? Good old Audi only give a lousy 12 month warrenty in this country... nice price to replace that! Contrast that with Fiat who give 3 years, Alfa who give 3 years free servicing and warranty. Who has faith in their own engineering??? Not Audi by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My 98 Vectra is just turning over to 120k miles today and still going perfectly, just a few stone chips and one tiny little dent!

No reason a car shouldn't do over 200k if its's maintained regularly and properly. You only have to look at all the AE86 Corolla's on the road to see this point proven.

bigkev49 wrote:
    No reason a car shouldn't do over 200k if its's maintained regularly and properly. You only have to look at all the AE86 Corolla's on the road to see this point proven.

All the good examples have had their engines stripped and rebuilt. There is no reason most most cars couldn't do huge millage apart from the cost of keeping them running smooth. At some point the cost of doing this exceeds the cost of the car itself.

eoin_s wrote:
    You just had to look one post before yours. Another great post there squiggles.
    read the post above mine... he cant remember if he saw that car or a TAXI driver told him....hmmmmmmmmmm.
    so my comment stands, ( but we are bound to find an exception)
    again another fantastic rebuttal from a mod.

ya i had a Saab with 119k on the clock when i sold it 4 years ago..... still see it around today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mondeo driver here, still going @ 135k no major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

read the post above mine... he cant remember if he saw that car or a TAXI driver told him....hmmmmmmmmmm.
    so my comment stands, ( but we are bound to find an exception)
    again another fantastic rebuttal from a mod.

ya i had a Saab with 119k on the clock when i sold it 4 years ago..... still see it around today

Here was the post above yours:
    Theres been a few Fiats in my family that have done much more. The highest was a 1984 uno that had about 300k on the clock when it was traded in, it was spoted over a year later still driving. Any car will do mega mileage when it's looked after.

And being a mod of a forum for a small town doesn't count for shìt in here. Maybe we just need a "tired old cliche" forum...

@galwaytt - that looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thats if you find one...

There are a lot of examples of newish merc with over 100k on carzone.ie .

Must be loads of newbie clockers, clocking their merc's in the wrong direction so.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good to see you know your stuff.:rolleyes:

The fact is any car is only as good as the person that maintains it. Basically cars these days are stacked in order of which car takie the most punishment before dieing as opposed to which will last longest if properly looked after.

Any make of car that is properly looked after will last a long time. And by properly I dont mean forget that theres anything underneath the bonnet between services. Some people seem to think the bonnet popper is an ornament.

Advertisement