Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car can do well over 100k miles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Stekelly wrote:
    Some people seem to think the bonnet popper is an ornament.

Would not even give it that status, its just a handle for the mechanic to pull..... why do people think "change your oil = good driver" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My Nissan Primera '00 is still going ok with 135k miles on the clock. Although it hasn't been moved much in the 5 months since I left the country.

/mental note
    Must decide what I'm doing with my car :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have a 97 mondeo, 1.6 petrol with 175k on the clock..

She has a slight little issue with the engine but thats being sorted in the next few weeks and should be good for another 100k that is if ar*eholes in car parks stop hitting it.. 4 hits and counting and then they keep driving off..

w*ankers!!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mondeo with over 180k. Still looks like new inside. Needs new suspension bushings . :)

The multitude of little dings from peoples doors shows its age more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've a Passat with 247,700 miles on the clock. The 1.9TD engine is a marvel of engineering. I'm getting rid of the car to the scrapyard as soon as I get a new one, but keeping the engine for the camper van.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I have a merc C200 diesel, 1994, 8 owners with 200k - goes like a dream if a bit slow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Savman wrote:
    Mondeo driver here, still going @ 135k no major issues.

Me too 1998 2.0 16v with 113'500 miles & still original clutch:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

:D

And there was me thinking I wa great with 101k miles on my 1999 1.4 Astra.

Its true if you look after the car and keep it well serviced ie every 6k miles do an oil change, then the car will run and run for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

In my family, theres a 00 Punto sporting with 110k, 92 Merc 190 1.8 120k, 00 Octavia 1.9TD 130K, and my old slogger of a 94 Vectra 1.7TD is nearly at 240K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Well thanks for all the feedback.
    Of course the assumption is the car is maintained well throughout its life.

Perhaps I should have qualified the question further as to mechanically which will last the longer without major surgery costs :)
    Or that some cars will require a lot more parts replaced such as suspension and timing belts than others
    e.g. Will a Merc E Class last to say 150k without major costly replacement parts relative to a Nissan Maxima or Lexus GS?
    This of course being relative to how it is driven, where etc....

Or an even easier question and perhaps a shorter list, what large family/executive cars should one stay away from once it goes up into the higher mileages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

redman wrote:
    e.g. Will a Merc E Class last to say 150k without major costly replacement parts relative to a Nissan Maxima or Lexus GS?
    This of course being relative to how it is driven, where etc....

Or an even easier question and perhaps a shorter list, what large family/executive cars should one stay away from once it goes up into the higher mileages?

The big problem with heavier cars at high mileage is the suspension, the extra weight takes its toll on springs, shocks, bushings, ball joints and wishbones. You can usually factor in a suspension rebuild at some stage. Sometimes it can be wise to look at a slightly higher mileage example with the work done. That is presuming you're buying second hand rather than looking at something to buy new and keep forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

alias no.9 wrote:
    The big problem with heavier cars at high mileage is the suspension, the extra weight takes its toll on springs, shocks, bushings, ball joints and wishbones. You can usually factor in a suspension rebuild at some stage. Sometimes it can be wise to look at a slightly higher mileage example with the work done. That is presuming you're buying second hand rather than looking at something to buy new and keep forever.
    Good advise there... Suspension is too often overlooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

VW and Mercs quality has suffered over recent years. This was related to a degree to electrics and engine management woes.
    Older Mercs and VWs did indeed go on forever, particularly models that were nearly impossible to kill were 80s diesel VW Golfs and Jettas.
    Toyota and Nissan will go on forever. They may rackel a bit but they are still good to go.
    Sadly the Italian and French do not fare so well historically but they have improved over last ten years.

Does anybody think there is planned obsolesence built into today's cars e.g electrics etc have limited life span ?
    Would make sense for car manufacturers and it is what is happening to a degree in all other industries.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I had a Toyota starlet that All I did was replace the oil twice in 6 years that went to 110K but started having problems at that
    Have a Corrola at 105K that drives as new and A my puegot 405 1.9TDi still going strong at 120K

i think for the least maintanence required you have to look at a diesel or the Toyota brands

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2003 Toyota Avensis with 135k miles and it passed it's first NCT this morning. :cool:

Only thing I have replaced on it in 4 years of ownership other than the usual consumables like tyres, fluids and filters, etc, were the brake pads. Regularly serviced every 12k miles and still flying it.

Look after your car and your car will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

All of my cars are > 100K

'73 MG BGT (111,000 miles - although it was taken apart to be converted to unleaded)

'92 Merc 230CE (102,000 miles - although I have the cyl head off at the moment due to me doing something completely f'in daft to it - but the engine was like new, and now that I can see the cylinder bores - the factory hone is still evident on the cylinder walls !)

'96 MX5 (120,000 miles - I installed a turbo at 70,000 miles and it's still smoke free to this day - and that's with 250hp compared to the 133hp before the turbo went in)

'95 Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD (155,000 miles - wonderful BMW straight-6 diesel engine. Little bit smokey, but nothing major)

What's the secret ? Dunno, but I'd guess it's due to oil changes: I change the oil every 3,000 miles on each of them - and I use Magnatec 10w40 semi-synth

Advertisement