Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fry in Dublin (Saturday)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Hoggarts in Manor Street the nicest fry you will never get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Cafe Sofia , at the bottom of Camden st, ( Kevin St end) does a damn fine breckie for €5. Tea & toast the lot.

has a few other options too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah cafe sofia is a good place ,good food and its very cheap.its on wexford st across from the corner stone pub (corner of kevin st and wexford st) beside a motorbike shop u cant miss it the path will be filled with bikes

yup sorry, Wexford st, your right.

Always very quick service too.. ( I dont ask how, and I dont care)
    good grub!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Lovin'Spoon is awesome - not the biggest fryup fan (mothers wasn't a good fryup) but this is second to none. Also terrific service, and lovely place too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

yabadabado wrote: »
    yeah cafe sofia

Cheapest of the cheap. Nasty. Gerrys around the corner on Montague St is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1looney

Bit out of the way, but the White House on the Ashbourne Rd does a lovely fry for €7. Best I've ever had.

i must agree... FANTASTIC breakfast... even for a vegetarian!! Great mushrooms, not soggy/slimey but nice and crisp and tasty and fried potatoes and great eggs...
    best breakfast ever!! and great value... worth the trip, especially when hungry- full irish is a massive feed

jdivision wrote: »
    Cheapest of the cheap. Nasty. Gerrys around the corner on Montague St is better

Cheap.. Nasty... , i didnt realise "Gerrys" slaughetered their pigs in gold plated abbitoirs , smoked their bacon with mahogany, and use prime cuts for thier sausages.

Judging by your attitude , I'll assume Gerrys is for snobs, and avoid the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

folks,i'm sitting here in swords,saliva dripping on the keyboard (almost!)
    any good greasy spoon's out this way? i'm new to the area and willing to go on a "recon" on my day off!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

Two best fry-ups in Dublin . 2nd Place News Cafe in Blackrock. 1st Place Kingfisher Parnell Street without a doubt. (Was sitting beside Gerry Adams the last time was in their might scare some people off.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 travellerI

My vote goes to the Kingfisher also. I think Gerry Aadams and Co. eat there as the SF Offices are around the corner on Parnell Square. If you are into eye candy some of the waitresses are worth a look - if you are into orientals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Have to agree with Cafe Sofia for the all day availability. Haven't been to Gerry's so I'll give it a go.

My other two would be The Dropping Well in Milltown (The insane but funny middle aged waitress who seems more hungover than you provides some lively entertainment) and The Barge on Charlemont St (when the waiting staff understand you)

Haven't had one good fry in Rathmines or Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dakaiser

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm dissappointed in this thread. Very very much so.

None of you have been to Violets? Noone?

On Dorset Street, towards the Drumcondra end. I save it for my "mother of god" hangovers, it's a divine experience. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Truth be told though, I've never been able to order the big big fry up... From what I remember, it's a burger with bun, pork chops, sausages, beans, mushrooms, rashers, puddings, chips and toast. Oh, and tea or coffee. Though with a meal like that, it has to be tea.

Don't go near the place if there's a match in Croke park though...

Crazy talk. The Lovin Spoon and Gerry's are way ahead of Violets.
    I dont know if it was mentioned yet, not eve sure its still there, but there was a place at the end of Pearse Street, near the corner of Macken St. They done a class breakfast. Don't think it opened on weekends though as most of the customers were tradesmen. One of the best breakfasts in Dublin though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Very hard to get a consistently good breakfast in Dublin. There always seems to be at least one item wrong no matter where u go ;-( Anyway the best is Sofia on wexford st, NO waiting, freshly cooked, cheap, huge and always the same all the time. Pot of tea, not a cup.

How people can recommend Matt the rasher is beyond me. I grease is your thing fine but food should not need the flavour of lard to make it taste good. Gerrys in Montague st is not as bad but just does not deserve the glowing comments its getting.

Manhatten should be order by the courts to extend their opening hours.

A few others that are good but a but posh are howards way rathgar, nosh dalkey, odessa dame court and sixtey six on georges st.

Im off to try brendans in Smithfield now (sound of belt being loosened) so ill report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cgarrad wrote: »
    Manhatten should be order by the courts to extend their opening hours
    Is The Manhattan not closed for good?
    cgarrad wrote:
    Im off to try brendans in Smithfield now (sound of belt being loosened) so ill report back.
    One of my regular haunts (on Mary's Lane). I was there yesterday morning :). (The decor is not too fancy now!)

The Manhattan

HarcourtRoadManhattan.jpg

Brendan's Coffee Shop

MarysLaneBrendansCoffeeShop.jpg

And the much missed Paddy's Place

MarysLanePaddysPlace.jpg

The Restaurant Royale on Stephen Street Upper advertise a full Irish at €5. I haven't had one there but I did have an excellent mixed grill (bacon, egg, sausage, chop, liver, peas and chips) for €8.

(It's a strange sort of place - like an ordinary cafe with a little bar at the front. I think the pints are €3 :)).

StephenStreetUpperRestaurantRoyale.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Upstairs at The Swan Centre, Rathmines ......... Any four items plus Tea and toast/bread for E4.99 all day - every day. The black pudding is as good as my Granny used to make. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Spread wrote: »
    Upstairs at The Swan Centre, Rathmines ......... Any four items plus Tea and toast/bread for E4.99 all day - every day. The black pudding is as good as my Granny used to make. :)

Sorry, but "4 items" is not a breakfast. It's hardly a sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the manhattan is sadly closed

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    Sorry, but "4 items" is not a breakfast. It's hardly a sandwich
    weyhey bigboy! We are cholesterol-conscious down around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

weyhey bigboy! We are cholesterol-conscious down around here.

the way out of bgrh is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

WindSock wrote: »

Damnit woman you beat me too it :D

I would second what was said about Kingfisher above, great breakfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

I think this thread proves why Dublin is full of terrible breakfasts. For two reasons. Everyone focuses on quantity and price. Resulting in the last poster recommending Restaurant Royale. Yes a truly odd place - If you like to eat your fry in the company of a bar full of alcoholics. No not one or two alcoholics, the majority alcoholics. They open on Christmas day for Christ sake. I'v been in Cafe Sofia and it was memorably immemorable (n all I got was tea n toast). N chips with a fry, I don't even think hash browns should be in there.

Kennedys of Fairview are head and shoulders above anything mentioned on this entire thread. Premium butcher sausages n rashers n pudding, choice of poached, scramled, fried eggs, choice of breads from the bakery on site. N their price is not bad, it would be bout the same price as Matt the Rashers, n I'v seen the fries in Gerrys as well, n they're nothing fantastic.

Now does anyone know anywhere near the city centre that is open early. I might try that Brendans of Smithfield, but I was in there a few weeks ago n hardly anyone had a fry in front of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was in the cafe in finglas village saturday(Just beside masons and superquin).
    Giant breakfast two bacon,two rashers,two sausage, two fried eggs,beans,mushrooms,toast and tea for 9 quid and it was awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Degsy wrote: »
    Was in the cafe in finglas village saturday(Just beside masons and superquin).
    Giant breakfast two bacon,two rashers,two sausage, two fried eggs,beans,mushrooms,toast and tea for 9 quid and it was awesome!

9 blips for a breakfast is f*cking extortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

me ma's house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ntlbell wrote: »
    9 blips for a breakfast is f*cking extortion.

Soem people wouldnt get two pints for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

the manhattan is sadly closed

God I spent many a late night,/early morning there while I lived in Rathmines. It is still the only time and place I ate liver (part of the mixed grill), man that mixed grill, toast and pint of milk was the one way to end a night. The only thing that came close was the half and half beef curry in Gigs place around to the left.
    Ah the memories, Slatts the Garda club followed by Auntie May's or Gigs place.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 readthecontract

Spent most of my student life staring at the wall in Manhattan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 readthecontract

Try Georges Place in Swords, mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AimeeR

bealbocht wrote: »
    Cafe Sofia , at the bottom of Camden st, ( Kevin St end) does a damn fine breckie for €5. Tea & toast the lot.

has a few other options too..

TOTALLY AGREE - SO GOOD AND FRESH TOO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wandered into Slatterys today as I saw a sign up for an all day breakfast. Turned out to be two sausages, three (I think) rashers, both puddings, egg, fried tomato, chips n beans plus a coffee and four (hurrah!!) slices of toast. All nicely done and no skimping on the ingredients. The price of 9:50 probably wouldn't make it a bargain but I'll be back.

BTW was Slatterys done up as a trendy place or some lap dancing joint a while back? Looks like a normal boozer now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thanks for the Matt The Rashers recommendations! Went there on sunday morning, got the famous breakfast, 9/10.
    For €8.50 you get 3 rashers, 3 sausages, decent pile of beans, decent pile of mushrooms, 2 perfectly cooked eggs (not crusty, i hate those crusty fried eggs) half a tomato, hash brown, liver, toast and tea. It's one of those big oval plates just full of food. Would have got 10/10, but the tea tasted a bit weird. But the food was all done perfectly, great quality sausages and rashers.

Had a Fry-Up here this morning for the first time and thought it was very good. 9 Euros for the full twack and got three cups of tea from the pot.

One of my favourite Fry-Ups was in the old International Hotel at the airport before the did it up the last time.

Would have been around the time they did it up in 98 or 99 and it had a very old worldy look with lots of exposed wood and open fireplaces etc. Was a lovely spot.

I went over there last year expecting it to be the same and was shocked at what they did to the place. Now you could be in any european dingy hotel bar .. a disgrace that the first hotel vistors to our country now see is this. The decisons people made in this country the past ten years baffle me.

Anyway, the they used to have a buffett breakfast there for £8 and it was amazing .. scrambled eggs, freshly squeezed juice, thick golden bacon, pancakes .. :(:(:( .. damn I miss that spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

When did the Manhattan go? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

'm working in Abu-Dhabi at the moment and the one thing I miss most out heree is a good old fry up and a nice cup of Tea...

Ever time I get to come back for a trip I get the cab driver to stop off on the way home so I can pick up the essential fry up materials...
    No pork here what so ever... Chicken sausages are disgusting and veal bacon wtf!
    Denny skinless, clonakilty rashers and puddings, mushies, hash brown, fresh bread, baked beans, brown sauce mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Home on the 7th for 2 days cant wait to gorge on frys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Howards Way in Churchtown FTW , they also have a branch in Rathgar. The Big Breakfast is around €10. 2 Big Sausages , 2 Rashers , 2 Hashbrowns , Black & White Puddling and a Fried Egg and a pot of Tea or Cup of Coffee with free top ups. Nicely cooked and really tasty - Be warned you will probably have to q on a Sat or Sunday morning as they are usually jammers !

Agree with chilli pepper. Have had numerous brekkies in Rathgar and two dinners in Churchtown. Both places excellent and reasonably priced. Another spot, north of the river is Woodstock in Phibsbro'. Well worth a visit.

Yeah, Howards Way is nice, been there before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

It's a sad day for fry lovers....Brendan's in Smithfield has gone to pot. After 3 bad breakfasts there in the recent past I have severed all ties with the place. Some fellow fry-lovers have said the same thing. The fried potatoes are not fully done and often cold, the egg is so underdone that the white of the egg is runny. The rashers are cold and the sausages are no great shakes at the best of times... This is such a shame as Brendan's was once regarded by many as the best fry in Dublin city centre.

IMO Fidelma's in Dunshaughlin is king of fries, a bit of a trek out there but worth it. The Kingfisher on Parnell St (?) is fairly tasty also.

Another very nice fry is to be found in the skyway's cafe around ashbourne. A solid 9/10 performance all 3 times I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eoinmn

would have to agree with some of the earlier posts and say matt the rashers, sundrive rd, in kimmage is my number one. has been consistantly good over the last 5 years. sausages are top quality. liver with the full brekkie if you want it or you can substitute it for anything else if like me your not a liver lover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Flanagans on Georges St. was a great place for a fry up.

Closed about 2 years ago for some tapas bar :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

francosp wrote: »
    Flanagans on Georges St. was a great place for a fry up.

Closed about 2 years ago for some tapas bar :(

BoBos on Camden St is quite good. You get 100% Pork Sausages ..

pjbrady1 wrote: »
    I think this thread proves why Dublin is full of terrible breakfasts. For two reasons. Everyone focuses on quantity and price. Resulting in the last poster recommending Restaurant Royale. Yes a truly odd place - If you like to eat your fry in the company of a bar full of alcoholics. No not one or two alcoholics, the majority alcoholics. They open on Christmas day for Christ sake. I'v been in Cafe Sofia and it was memorably immemorable (n all I got was tea n toast). N chips with a fry, I don't even think hash browns should be in there.

Kennedys of Fairview are head and shoulders above anything mentioned on this entire thread. Premium butcher sausages n rashers n pudding, choice of poached, scramled, fried eggs, choice of breads from the bakery on site. N their price is not bad, it would be bout the same price as Matt the Rashers, n I'v seen the fries in Gerrys as well, n they're nothing fantastic.

Now does anyone know anywhere near the city centre that is open early. I might try that Brendans of Smithfield, but I was in there a few weeks ago n hardly anyone had a fry in front of them.
    Went there last week after reading your post. Very nice place and great service. Was a bit pricey though. No set menu, you can't just order a breakfast. I got (i think) 2 sausages, 2 rashers, fried egg, black and white pudding, beans, fried onions, toast and tea. That cost €12. I think it's the same quality (maybe slightly higher) of Matt the rashers, but matts you get a bigger meal for a lower price.
    Also, went to Monto at the weekend (matts was closed, monto is about 5 doors up) and it's not a patch on matt the rashers. The sausages were mank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

newscaf in blackrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Howards Way in Churchtown FTW , they also have a branch in Rathgar. The Big Breakfast is around €10. 2 Big Sausages , 2 Rashers , 2 Hashbrowns , Black & White Puddling and a Fried Egg and a pot of Tea or Cup of Coffee with free top ups. Nicely cooked and really tasty - Be warned you will probably have to q on a Sat or Sunday morning as they are usually jammers !
    Agree with chilli pepper. Have had numerous brekkies in Rathgar and two dinners in Churchtown. Both places excellent and reasonably priced. Another spot, north of the river is Woodstock in Phibsbro'. Well worth a visit.
    Yeah, Howards Way is nice, been there before.

Went to Howard's Way in Rathgar this morning on your recommendations. Very tasty indeed. Excellent staff. No queue but it is a Bank Hol weekend so I'm sure numbers are down. Not the cheapest but worth it for a treat (€24 for two big breakfasts and 1 orange juice). Only thing I'd have issue with is the lack of any black pudding. I'm a big believer in having both types of pudding in a fry :D.

I mentioned the Dropping Well in Milltown earlier in this thread. Howard's Way is probably a bit tastier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Probably been mentioned before but I'm not reading 14 pages of posts to check.

Matt the rashers in Kimmage. Quality

Yep just went back had a look at page 13 and it's reviewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

hands down the best fry in Dublin is in the Gourmet Food Parlour on the Monkstown road. It's only e8 I think. I have converted many to it's tasty offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Was in clarkes cabra road on saturday full fry E7.20

3 sausages
    3 rashers
    scrambled egg
    2 tomato
    2 white pudding

2 massive pre buttered slices of brown bread

tea or coffee

had it at around 9:30 set me up for the day wasn't hungry again till about 3 and it was goooooooood

• Advertisement
Advertisement