Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Advice

Options
  • 10-04-2007 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Basically wondering who'd be best able to answer the following questions for me, i.e. the teaching council, or who?

(Or, if any of ye have experience of some of my q's, then perhaps you could answer them)

I'm considering a career change after a good few years out of college.

Would like to do the hdip & become primary teacher.

I have NO teaching experience, my qualifications have nothing to do with teaching.

I live in the country, so it's not like there are a lot of schools around that could do with an extra pair of hands (small pupil numbers, already have classroom assistants etc), so I think getting experienced being totally unqualified could be quite difficult for me.

I'd imagine it'd be easier for me to get a place on the hdip with some experience in a classroom.

What positions are there available in a class room these days? Do you think some of these should be easy enough to get a bit of work in?

What steps to I need to take to make myself available? Like garda check of whatever?
    Are there any short duration courses I could take (while staying in my current position) to make myself 'more suitable' in the schools eyes?

Are the teaching council any good at responding to emails?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The teaching council know jack **** to be honest, they are too busy sorting themselves out that to answer your questions though by all means please try.
    I would recommend one of the unions, asti or tui or into. Even though you are possible not a member, thay are very helpful at answers. Get e-mail address from ttheir websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I agree the council know nothing but could they really make things as difficult for teachers as they claim or is that simply scare-mongering? Do they have any real power over principals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Chrissie wrote:
    Would like to do the hdip & become primary teacher.

[...]I'd imagine it'd be easier for me to get a place on the hdip with some experience in a classroom.
    Two points:

(a) the H.Dip is for secondary teaching, not primary, and AFAIK it's fairly easy to get into, with or without experience. Check the various university websites.

(b) for primary teaching, you need a Grad.Dip in primary education, which is hard to get into. This is currently offered by St. Pat's, Drumcondra, or Mary Immaculate, Limerick. The private (but rather expensive) alternative is at Hibernia College — a part-time, online course.

Do a search for previous threads here, or see this one on askaboutmoney.com.

As for how to get the classroom experience — your best bet is simply to send a CV and covering letter to nearby schools, indicating that you're applying to do the Grad.Dip and are anxious to gain classroom experience of any kind. If possible, attach a letter of reference attesting to the probity of your morals and the excellence of your character, etc. etc. It's then up to the school principal to vet you via the Gardaí if they've anything to offer you.

Volunteering to take the brats for football/hurley training — free of charge and after hours, of course — will probably get you a long way. ;) It will also look nearly as good on your CV as actual teaching experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Chrissie

Thanks folks.

Yea, it's primary teaching I want, so I'm trying to stay positive, but the reality is, I'll prob never get in! But sure, all I can do is try.

Do the colleges ever check up on what you tell them? It's not like I'd be planning on telling them whoppers, but maybe just exaggerating the truth slightly.

i.e. I play camogie. My club also has youth teams. I have been there during their training & have helped their coach to put them through their drills, yet I'm not responsible for their coaching.
    Could I say I coach them?

I have ran summer classes in basic PC skills one summer, quite a while ago, for primary school children.
    Could I enhance that a bit?

I was involved in a marching band for a lot of my life, & towards the end, took the younger members to one side & brought them through their new tunes, yet I wasn't the teacher. This was also quite a long time ago, but the band has since reformed. Could I mention involvement in that?

I have given private music lessons to a few children. Could I enhance that?

I have played music for childrens concerts (for their irish dancing), music for them to sing to,
    I've been asked to provide the backing music for the schools 1st communion etc, which would involve a lot of practice with the children, bt this didn't happen because of my work commitments. Could I pretend that it did considering I've been involved with other musical events?

All through the years, I've done lots of arts & crafts with the children I babysat & now my nieces & nephews. could I expand on that a bit?

Plus, there was LOTS of babysitting.

Would any of that sound good on a CV / application form? Would you just say it for what it is, or would you dress it up a bit?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

yes

all of it is good, but i would drop the bit about baby sitting! really has no relevance to teaching

the music etc re communion would be of value to most schools, teaching of irish dance less important, i personally would enhance, coach sounds better that assistant coach. just make sure that you know answers to questions re what levels (junior, intermediate senior etc) the games are being played. What competitions were entered for GAA, community games etc

Remember a cv is for you to put your best side forward, stretch your achievements, but dont lie

best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement