Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New LG 19" wide flatscreen and blurry text

Options
  • 10-04-2007 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Just got a new monitor, the one mentioned in title, and I can't seem to get a resolution that doesn't leave text slightly blurry. The best result I can get is to use 1280x768 (pictures look alright, but text is slightly unfocused). The monitor itself says it wants 1440x900 for optimum but this isn't an option in the resolution box and if I try any resolution with the same aspect ratio (1:1.6) the monitor seems to default to a non-widescreen resolution, so if I try 960x600 it jumps to 800x600. If I try 1240x800 it jumps to 1024x768.

I've installed the monitors drivers, and I have latest for my geforce 7300 LE.

Is the resolution list a limit of the monitor or the gfx card? Any ideas what my prob could be?

PS since this is a problem I have from upgrading I put it in this forum, but maybe the mods will move it if I'm wrong. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not sure why it's not an option in your options, but it should be. Been a while since I used windows, but iirc the monitor drivers really just tell the graphics card what resolutions the monitor supports. Try unticking that "don't display resolutions that this monitor doesn't support" box if it's in the advanced options.

If you're not running at 1440x900 you're /definitely/ gonna get blurry text. This is a downfall of LCD monitors. Once you get it to that res, it'll be crisp. I'm sure someone on here will tell you how to get it to that res.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The following link from our friends at Microsoft may help. Not many people know about it but it may solve some of your issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Khannie wrote:
    Try unticking that "don't display resolutions that this monitor doesn't support" box if it's in the advanced options.

I did this, though many more resolutions become available, 1440x900 isn't one of them >:(

HOWEVER: If I select 1600x900, the monitor now defaults to 1440x900 with improved results. Still doesn't seem perfect. I don't know which res to believe, in display properties, it still says 1600x900 and in the monitor on screen display (OSD) it now says 1440x900
    delly wrote:
    The following link from our friends at Microsoft may help. Not many people know about it but it may solve some of your issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/Step1.aspx

I've changed to cleartype, and its an improvement, text is better defined, if not 100% perfect. Certainly a better interim solution, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Reinstall your graphics card driver.

Plus what is the exact make & model of the display ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

The monitor should come with the necessary drivers to set up your system. I just bought a 19” Samsung (1400 x 900) and all came with it.

Do you have nView software? It allows you to add custom resolutions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I've reinstalled my gfx drivers already. The screen came with drivers on a cd which I promptly installed, didn't help!

As from the invoice, the details are:
    LG 19" LCD L194WT TCO-03, Silver
    1440x900, 5ms, 2000:1, DVI/VGA

I will try nview, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well Google shows a few people with similar problems to you though no fix as of yet (well for one the driver update did the trick at least).

Try these monitor drivers from LG.

Go into the device manager & update the driver for the monitor using the advanced-don't search I will pick the driver-have disk method & point it at the folder and use the new L194WT driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thiyagi

thanks guys, especially for the msg above.. that LG driver worked for me...My fonts are pretty neat now..

Advertisement