Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice-Does this sound right to you??

Options
  • 10-04-2007 10:54am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick explanation--Last year car policy for my wife was €530.00 fully comp.In September 2006 she had a self fault claim--tipped a gate post driving into the garden.I rang AXA and asked would a claim of this type affect her premiums and NCB and if it did I`d pay for the damage(2300 euro)
    Was told no that the premium would rise by 80-90 euros or there abouts so we went ahead and claimed on her policy.

Just received her new renewal notice and the premium has gone up to 1500 euros-3 times her previous premium.

Rang AXA and was told that her NCB is gone to zero due to the claim and shes now treated as a first time driver even though I had the persons name and direct phone number and that the person in question had no right to make assumptions based on a claim.

So basically we`re stuffed--no one else will take her on due to the claim and since she has a zero NCB any one that does quote me is quoting a lot more than AXAs renewal.

Any ideas of a way out of this??
    Have I any comeback against AXA?
    Cheers
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Fraid not dude, your stuck with them for 2 years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im tempted to take one of the higher quotes just so AXA dont get my money this year.Shower of b**tards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry to hear it mate, they'll get that €2300 out of you yet, as you'll find it impossible to get another quote for the next 3 years at least, tis a total con job these bas*ards get away with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Hellrazer wrote:
    Was told no that the premium would rise by 80-90 euros or there abouts so we went ahead and claimed on her policy.
    Richie
    Do you have that on paper? I had a slight tip on a roundabout a few years ago, it was a 50/50 case, the insurance gave me the option of paying out of my own pocket or going through the policy, it was Eagle Star, can you go back to them and offer the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

write a formal complait to the company. Even though you may not have anything in writing regarding the advice you received, if you explain that the reason you claimed was that you were advised the premium would only go up a small amount, and give the name and number of the person you were talking to, they may give a bit of a discount as a good will gesture.

I work for quinn and i see this happen alot. People in ireland dont seem to write in with complaint unlike the people from the UK. And when you write in a complaint, it goes to an assistant manager and they call you back, or thats how it works with us.

Only other option would be to pay the claim back, and your wife claim would be reduce to a non fault claim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Good news!!!!

Allianz have offered to "reinstate" my wifes full NCB if AXA will confirm that she had 8 years NCB before the accident since the accident didnt involve a third party.Premium will be 530 euros.

Excess direct have given me a quote of 700 euros.

FBD-€980.00

This is based on informing all of them of the accident.All of them agree that AXA are being unreasonable in the matter.
    And all of them are cheaper than her renewal.

To be honest vengeance I wouldnt go back to AXA now even if they did do something for me.

Definately pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

thats great news, heart sank after reading your original post, glad it worked out for you

Just hope axa will confirm the previous NCB in writing now.
    Anyone with excess direct??
    Just in case I have to use them I wouldnt mind knowing what theyre like to deal with.

Fair play to Allianz though.Couldnt have asked for a better quote.

Moral of the story--Dont use AXA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I was also misinformed on the phone with AXA last year. I rang them to say I was going to change my car and was told that as long as the engine size wasn't any bigger and the car wasn't worth any more that my renewal wouldn't go up. I got a car which met these requirements and next thing they try to charge an extra few hundred euro on my renewal.

Anyway I rang around for a few quotes and got much cheaper one. I then rang back AXA to cancel my policy with them and the guy on the phone literally grovelled and begged me to stay with them for 20 minutes using excuses like how much better their broken glass cover and breakdown cover is. I stayed with them but only when he eventually brought my renewal back to the existing cost.

It would be interesting to hear their reaction when you inform them you're going elsewhere.

Ive just found the CEO of AXA Irelands email address so Ive fired him off a very nasty email.Ill keep you informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Hellrazer wrote:
    Just hope axa will confirm the previous NCB in writing now.
    Anyone with excess direct??
    Just in case I have to use them I wouldnt mind knowing what theyre like to deal with.

Fair play to Allianz though.Couldnt have asked for a better quote.

Moral of the story--Dont use AXA.

So basicly your wife, thru clumsy bad driving, scrapped her car, claimed €2,300 off the insurance company to fix the car, then complained that her insurance increased, moved to another insurance company for the same premium.
    Your car is fixed, didnt cost you a penny & your still paying exactly the same as you did last year, what are you moaning about??
    A few driving lessons mightn't go astray :D

Slightly off topic, but with all the hype on intrest rates rising, are you going to write a letter to your bank if they predict your mortgage goes up €200 next year but it actually turns out to go up €450?? Human error no-one can predict the future

Keith C wrote:
    So basicly your wife, thru clumsy bad driving, scrapped her car, claimed €2,300 off the insurance company to fix the car, then complained that her insurance increased, moved to another insurance company for the same premium.
    Your car is fixed, didnt cost you a penny & your still paying exactly the same as you did last year, what are you moaning about??
    A few driving lessons mightn't go astray :D

Slightly off topic, but with all the hype on intrest rates rising, are you going to write a letter to your bank if they predict your mortgage goes up €200 next year but it actually turns out to go up €450?? Human error no-one can predict the future

Firstly it wasnt through clumsy driving--some idiot blocked our drive in and fooked off for the day.
    Secondly Im not complaining about the premium-Im complaining about AXAs way of dealing with it.If I`d been told last year that her premium would have jumped by threefold I wouldnt be moaning now.
    Thirdly I was looking for help to see if I had any comeback against AXA not stupid comments like what you`ve posted above.If you cant help then dont bother posting.
    And lastly---What in gods name has mortgage rates got to do with this thread.

As for the driving lessons--my wifes held a full licence since she was 18 and would have had 8 years claim free driving this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

All insurance companies are legally required to record all calls. AXA are probably the best insurance company in terms of benifits, free windscreen cover on all windows, breakdown assist etc etc.

Excess direct were set up to grab the young driver. The clue is in the name... there is an excess of €4000!

Excess with excess direct is €1000.00.Think it depends on the age etc of the driver.

Agree that Axas benefits are excellent--Great company to deal except when theres a problem like mine.
    In all fairness I should have asked for what they told me in writing at the time but they told me it was "noted" in the policy information on their system.No such thing Im told.

Hellrazer wrote:
    And lastly---What in gods name has mortgage rates got to do with this thread.

If you read my post correctly, I started with the line "slightly off topic", my point regarding the interest rates is that a person in the bank can only educate a guess as to what you will pay next year (same as the person predicting what your insurance will be).
    I was simply stating human error & no-one can predict the future (read the last line)
    BTW if you cant judge the gap between a car & gate while getting in a driveway and end up scrapeing your car, that is "clumsy" driving no matter how long you've held a full licence.

Hellrazer wrote:
    Excess with excess direct is €1000.00.Think it depends on the age etc of the driver.

Agree that Axas benefits are excellent--Great company to deal except when theres a problem like mine.
    In all fairness I should have asked for what they told me in writing at the time but they told me it was "noted" in the policy information on their system.No such thing Im told.

If you want, to can quote the data protection act and tell them you want all information regarding the notes on your wifes policy and any other docs.

There obliged by law to give these to you within 30days i think. Make sure you specify that you want the system notepads regarding the policy as well.

Might be worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Keith C wrote:
    If you read my post correctly, I started with the line "slightly off topic", my point regarding the interest rates is that a person in the bank can only educate a guess as to what you will pay next year (same as the person predicting what your insurance will be).
    I was simply stating human error & no-one can predict the future (read the last line)
    BTW if you cant judge the gap between a car & gate while getting in a driveway and end up scrapeing your car, that is "clumsy" driving no matter how long you've held a full licence.

Bank officials are strictly told by management to not under any circumstances tell someone how much their mortgage will be next year....they are however permitted to give quotes based on different interest rates.

It bears no resemblance to the situation under discussion by the OP

If you want, to can quote the data protection act and tell them you want all information regarding the notes on your wifes policy and any other docs.

There obliged by law to give these to you within 30days i think. Make sure you specify that you want the system notepads regarding the policy as well.

Might be worth a read.

True...that's why people are always calm on the other end of the phone and try to saty detached. Worked for a financial institution last year...no matter how nasty the customer gets the only note allowed was "irate customer" nothing further

ninty9er wrote:
    True...that's why people are always calm on the other end of the phone and try to saty detached. Worked for a financial institution last year...no matter how nasty the customer gets the only note allowed was "irate customer" nothing further

well i work in quinn, and any conversations with customers are meant to be put on system notepads, and if the Axa noted the conversation with the OP, like mentioned above, it should be on these notepads.

well i work in quinn, and any conversations with customers are meant to be put on system notepads, and if the Axa noted the conversation with the OP, like mentioned above, it should be on these notepads.
    Sorry, had to do that too, but I was pointing out the Data Protection Act availability moreso than content

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You're a the mercy of the insurance company. At least in this case they did the right thing once you complained. In fairness a scrap of a gate shouldn't triple your premium.

BostonB wrote:
    You're a the mercy of the insurance company. At least in this case they did the right thing once you complained. In fairness a scrap of a gate shouldn't triple your premium.

They havent actually done the right thing despite the complaints..Even after telling them that Allianz are willing to reinstate the NCB and lower the premium to last years rate theyre still saying they cant do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Typical AXA. My first renewal premium went up €200 for absolutely no reason! Rang to cancel and he tool €400 off my policy. Still got it cheaper than quinn and its gone down year on year since. My parents said they were at that they PMPA too!

Haden't heard about XS direct. Tried them there for a quote - had a laugh. €1,162 with €4000 excess.
    I'm 26 five years full licence three years no claims on a 1.6 Mondeo!

If it's really up your nose; you could ring the person who told you and offer them the opportunity to sort it or have a civil action taken against them for the excess insurance over the next 5 years until the NCB is re-accumulated...or maybe it's the director you can do that to, but I'm 80% sure you can do it to one or the other!!!

Hellrazer wrote:
    They havent actually done the right thing despite the complaints..Even after telling them that Allianz are willing to reinstate the NCB and lower the premium to last years rate theyre still saying they cant do anything for me.

At least you got the same premium elsewhere, from AXA point of view for the 12 month period on your wifes policy, they took in €500 odd premium but paid out €2,300, which is over a 400% loss ratio. Maybe thats why they're not willing to match the premium or reduce they're price??
    Just means you have the inconveniance of filling out new proposal forms & getting copy of licence etc.. pain in the ar*e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hellrazer wrote:

Sorry I mixed up the names of the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Wereyour wifes 8 years no claims with Axa? I am sure they are well in the black already

Mike07 wrote:
    Wereyour wifes 8 years no claims with Axa? I am sure they are well in the black already

5 years with AXA and 3 years with some other company--cant remember the details though.Theyre well in the black with the last 5 years payments.

Advertisement