Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate mod language

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Beruthiel wrote:
    I can confirm this to be mostly likely true, when he turned up to the beers on Sat. night, his hands were sticky and he couldn't see properly.
    Sicko.

:D

Tallaght you are looking for peoples opinions right?

This is mine. You were both wrong. It got personal when it shouldnt have.

You didnt say it was cancelled someone else did, however you did drag it up again despite a warning. Hence the ban. Should have been left at that tbh.

Amp says you had no intention of attending - most of your posts said you were going including one in another forum

You stereo-typed everyone with the long haired computer programming comment - you werent the only one. Pale nervous looking people trying to order drinks with keyboards, weirdos, etc were among other comments made. All taken as jokes (except yours)

You were called a pathetic arsehole, then your posts were edited to say you were mentally deficient. Thats Not proof, just someones personal opinion on your sense of humour and personality. Too much tbh.

Then you PM'd with retorts that he had no life. Could you not have reported the personal abuse. Who mods the mods? Taking it to PM is very personal imho.

And here we are again.

The whole thing got Far too personal and way OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

ale nervous looking people trying to order drinks with keyboards, weirdos, etc were among other comments made. All taken as jokes (except yours)
    Haha. SO true. Thats why I never get too upset with mods on boards because I know that its the only thing they have in their life, their little 'ban' button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think this is the best advice in the thread:
    ( . )( . ) wrote:
    Amp is a bollix get over it :)

Amp is probably one of the biggest Caveats on boards, he's rude, insulting, and quite frankly, a terrible human being. Just steer clear of him at all costs, and all will be well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Jocksy wrote:
    Haha. SO true. Thats why I never get too upset with mods on boards because I know that its the only thing they have in their life, their little 'ban' button.

Really ?

PLease present your indepth of all the mods over 300 of them living in various countries and show how they all have no lifes.
    if you can't then shut the fcuk up.

I think it is a shame that mods have to ban anyone that people are either too retarded to post civily with in the rules of the site and the forums or think they are above the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Jocksy wrote:

Hey, say what you want about me, but i'll have you know the "button" would be a medium to large. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

amp wrote:
    tl:dr
    Whats the point in having a feedback section if this is the quality of mod response :confused:

From reading the responses nobody of Mod status has rolled in and seized the opportunity to take the OP's comments on board and address accordingly. OP has been banned so I think he took his medicine. Mods should have at least have the decency to PM the guy/girl if they are out of line instead of a public flogging and editing their posts in such a childish / humiliating manner, much more mature imho and if the poster is genuine then they will cop on pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

amp wrote:
    Of course after I banned him/her I furiously masturbated for 17 hours. Then I reread "How to win friends and influence people" for the 6th time before I recompiled the kernel of my Linux installation. TINFOIL FTW!

I dont agree with either of you, but god damn i love that paragraph!

Jocksy wrote:

Eh you might want to read the whole sentence again. This is not my opinion i was quoting jokes made in a thread about boardsies. You seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. Mods do this in their own time and without them there would be no boards.

I know boards that exist quite happily without mods. Boards would almost certainly exist without mods but it would jsut be a different sort of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Jocksy wrote:
    Hey if you wanna come over to mine I can show you my big ban button.

:rolleyes:

You're so cool you post on Feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

To my "fans":

Of course please feel free to ignore my other posts in that thread were I am helpful to people. That doesn't fit in with the "amp's a bollix to everybody" theory, does it?

As tallaght01 has apologised for stereotyping I apologise for calling him/her a pathetic arsehole. The ban for trolling stands. I will not tolerate people coming into Events and spreading false rumours.

Lastly, to answer Trinty1's question about who moderates the moderators, the answer is "The Admins" and they own this website.

Jocksy wrote:
    I know boards that exist quite happily without mods. Boards would almost certainly exist without mods but it would jsut be a different sort of place.

Indeed. But maybe thats not the kind of place the Admin's want it to be? Maybe they don't want the board to be rife with spammers, trolls and morons?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sizzler wrote:
    From reading the responses nobody of Mod status has rolled in and seized the opportunity to take the OP's comments on board and address accordingly.

eh, have a look at the second post. I didn't address it by specifically saying Amp is a bollix/bollox/bollocks (I don't know if he is or not) but I do think his was an over the top response to tallaght01. Tallaght01 isn't complaining about the ban, he's simply saying that calling someone a pathetic arsehole is wrong and I happen to agree with him. Ban? Yes. Personal abuse? No.

Not all mods are the same just as all users are different. Quite often on the mod forum, some mods will question the action of another and they try to sort it out there and learn from it. We are human, we have lives (well I do anyway!) and we make mistakes just like normal users do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

amp wrote:
    To my "fans":

Of course please feel free to ignore my other posts in that thread were I am helpful to people. That doesn't fit in with the "amp's a bollix to everybody" theory, does it?

As tallaght01 has apologised for stereotyping I apologise for calling him/her a pathetic arsehole. The ban for trolling stands. I will not tolerate people coming into Events and spreading false rumours.

Lastly, to answer Trinty1's question about who moderates the moderators, the answer is "The Admins" and they own this website.

Many kind thanks, Amp. Apology accepted. That's it forgotten about already as far a s I'm concerned

rife with spammers, trolls and morons?
    Seems like they are doing a good job of keeping them all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

r3nu4l wrote:
    Ban? Yes. Personal abuse? No.

I think that's by far and away the best summarisation of what most ordinary users feel about this.

Its highly unlikely that a user could call someone a retard in the normal course of events on a thread on boards and escape a ban so when a Cmod starts throwing around personal abuse like that it makes a mockery of the charters and the rules.

A lot of the complaints that come up on feedback ultimitley fall under the catogary of Mod's excersing their own discretion and them being allowed to ignore the charters etc and go with their 'gut', much like what Dev referred to a few weeks ago on the Islam feedback thread (something about queer logic). And this is fine, because I guess there is little or no other way to run a site like this.

But calling someone a 'retard' or an 'asshole' is out of line imo. It serves no purpose and if anything damages what is meant to be an online commmunity.

tallaght01 wrote:
    Many kind thanks, Amp. Apology accepted. That's it forgotten about already as far a s I'm concerned

Groovy, you know what, if I have your word you won't repeat what you did then I'm inclined to unban you straight away.

Meanwhile let's all enjoy the Amp's A Bollix Show starring

Angelwhore (who probably is still pissed with me because I think it's funny to call him by his old nick, but hey you're old skool man and let's be friends :D)

walt0r (I can't remember specifically why walt hates me, maybe it was during my time as an op on #boards.ie when I enforced the permban he'd earned there for reasons I can't remember. (In fairness I was a complete bollix as an op there). But hey, you know you're doing well as a mod when he crawls out of the woodwork to berate you. Keep on fighting man!)

Bubbles (I'm sure he's in here somewhere)

AND A CAST OF THOUSANDS!

Jocksy wrote:
    Seems like they are doing a good job of keeping them all in.

Indeed. I have just found myself in conversation with one of those three very possibilities.

padser wrote:
    I think that's by far and away the best summarisation of what most ordinary users feel about this.

Its highly unlikely that a user could call someone a retard in the normal course of events on a thread on boards and escape a ban so when a Cmod starts throwing around personal abuse like that it makes a mockery of the charters and the rules.

A lot of the complaints that come up on feedback ultimitley fall under the catogary of Mod's excersing their own discretion and them being allowed to ignore the charters etc and go with their 'gut', much like what Dev referred to a few weeks ago on the Islam feedback thread (something about queer logic). And this is fine, because I guess there is little or no other way to run a site like this.

But calling someone a 'retard' or an 'asshole' is out of line imo. It serves no purpose and if anything damages what is meant to be an online commmunity.

12 step guide to avoiding abuse from amp:
    1. Don't get banned for a stupid reason
    2. Don't abuse me
    3. Don't abuse others (unless they were particularly stupid)
    4. OBEY THE CHARTER
    5. Beer

Easy really; don't be stupid and I won't call you stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think what this calls for is a grouphug, everyone huddle in the middle of the room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Hey, which one of you just touched my balls??? :P

koneko wrote:
    I think what this calls for is a grouphug, everyone huddle in the middle of the room.

tallaght01 wrote:
    Hey, which one of you just touched my balls??? :P

Hey you promised no more bad jokes :D

Glad this was resolved anyhow. Apologising publicly isnt easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Trinity1 wrote:
    Glad this was resolved anyhow.

Indeed. Can we start posting pictures of cats yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jocksy wrote:
    Please post links if you're going to make statements.

Note that any links posted must be boards that:

a) Are General interest (i.e. no focus on any particular topic)
    b) Have 50,000 users or more
    c) Have more than 150 forums
    d) Have at least five million posts
    e) Are free to register and post

Then maybe you'll be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

1168702253-1167593228693.b.jpg
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

seamus wrote:
    Please post links if you're going to make statements.

Note that any links posted must be boards that:

a) Are General interest (i.e. no focus on any particular topic)
    b) Have 50,000 users or more
    c) Have more than 150 forums
    d) Have at least five million posts
    e) Are free to register and post

Then maybe you'll be taken seriously.

f) come under Irish or equivalent libel laws.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

pirate_cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Beruthiel wrote:
    pirate_cat.jpg

Typical SMod, promoting pirates and piracy when the regular users would get banned for doing it!!!111

Lemee hear y'all say...FIGHT DA POWAH!!

/[sulkily]well no-one else has said it yet[/sulkily]
    :D

heres one that fits the bill.

http://www.oneword.com.au

Is that the sound of somebody being sickened? I think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm not seeing a forum?
    sitemap please point out the forum?

Infact that looks alot like spam

Advertisement