Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IADT Dun Laoghaire - production Design

• 10-04-2007 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

hi everyone

I am studying Interior architecture at the mo but would love to do the BA in Production Design and Art Direction. I plan to get my Ordinary Degree in Interior Architecture and then apply for this course.

How hard is it to get into this course and what is to be expected?
    What kind of things do they look for in the portfolio/interview?
    Is it hard to get work after the course?

I have always been fascinated with film sets and have made models of some in my spare time.

THanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

anybody?

or if anyone who has done a course in the same field (make up, film production, etc) can give me advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Not sure about the production design course but I did the Film course a few years back. As far as I can see, they look for people with visual/creative flair, experience, and enthusiasm. I would try to get some work on short films as a Producton designer, art director, props, or costume. Also try and get some work with theatre set design. Call in to Filmbase in Temple Bar and they might be able to get you in contact with filmmakers. They're website is www.filmbase.ie Also have a look at www.filmmakersnetwork.ie Your degree should be a help, but you will definitely need some sort of portfolio. You could also ring the college and ask what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hi there,

I did the production design course a few years back. It was/is an add on degree course (which I did after a diploma in animation) so you'll probably need previous qulalifications to get in.
    There were good things and bad things about the course depending on how you look at it. It generally covers the 3 areas of production design; Theatre design, TV set design, and Film set design, 1 area per semester. So you get to touch on all important areas. They also have Autocad class, technical drawing, studio time, thesis and modelmaking i think...

In general the course is ok and the lecturers; 2 main ones are experienced but mostly in TV (RTE) so their info generally comes from that school of though. You get to work with the film students on their films if you want to, just to get some student credits. My class only had 7 people in it, 2 of which were rarely seen so it felt very empty and lacked motivation at times. The minimium you can have to run a course in Dun Laoghaire is 7 so I think they dont often have more than that. They are keen to hear from/interview enthusiastic students to try increase the numbers I would think so give it a go.
    In your portfolio, I would suggest showing a good understanding of spacial awareness - sounds a bit ponsey I know - but sets are 3d so you need to be aware of creating depth and using interesting shapes/shadows/patterns. Maybe you have some 3d animation or definatly your sets/models that you mentioned would be great. As with any portfolio for Dun Laoghaire its really really good to keep an art diary, for want of a better word. Like a book you do doodles, or sketch random ideas, or stick in interesting textures/shapes/patterns or general things that catch your eye.

So good luck and let me know if I can help and remember, if youre not in, you cant win!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

hi
    thanks for the replies. Wow thats a very small number of people - Is the course not that popular? Or did people drop out?
    Doolee- are you working now? If so what are you doing? Is it hard to get work?
    Did you have much experience going into the course?

Never knew about Filmbase - dont live in Dublin but must call in the next time I'm there.
    If I think of any more questions I will write back - am very tired now! :)

Advertisement