Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Electric Picnic

• 10-04-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I was planning on hitting the Electric Picnic this year.

In the past it has always had a great dance scene (Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim, Royksopp etc) alongside the alternative artists who played (Nick Cave, Flamming Lips, Arcade Fire) .

The best thing was the older crowd/alternative music kept out the knackers. It was generally a friendly place to be with a good mix of tunes and funky music.

This year I heard rumours of the Chemical Brothers to no avail. The lineup seems to have little or no dance acts apart from the mediocre LCD Sound System. As for Bjork or The Beastie Boys, they are very alternative. Modest Mouse is the only act that really stands out.

Can anyone recommend an different festival or event?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The lineup to the bodytonic arena has always been released a good while after the rest of the lineup.
    The fantastic SiSi are going to be playing, that's enough to convince me:)

the garden party could be a decent alternative though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

The alternative (and in my opinion, better line up) to Electric Picnic is Saifestival in Drumshambo Co.Letrim, its a hell of a lot smaller and commercial free with some of the most talented and influential electronic music producers, past and present in attendance. Here's the website from last year >>> http://www.saifestival.com/ (i think it's on a day earlier this year)
    If you don't recognize the line up, you should make yourself familiar with it cause its light years ahead of any of the music you'll hear at electric picnic this year.

and its a fraction of the price
    Nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

Interesting sypro...will have a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

The Line-up for the EP this year asides from a handful of acts is terrible and im having reservations about now attending myself, will see if they add anyone else onto the bill.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Carl Cox is playing at the Garden Party so that might be a good one to go 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

tman wrote:
    The fantastic SiSi are going to be playing, that's enough to convince me:)

Who are SiSi? What tunes do they have that would be well known?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

silvine wrote:
    Who are SiSi? What tunes do they have that would be well known?
    http://www.myspace.com/sisibadger
    It's a bit of a Galway thing really...
    They have the perfect sound for this festival as far as DJs go imo, can't wait for their set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

SiSi should be good. I wonder if it'll be their 110th Street style or their new minimal badger style.

Chemical Brothers will be playing, according to people in the know on the EP forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Chems will be playing EP but there is a new festival I see that Sasha is playing in Ireland and if its anything like the lineup of the UK counterpart we're in for a treat!!!

Lets just hope it HiFi minus the knackers!

http://www.loveboxweekender.com/

Rumours abound that its in Malahide Castle, dont think MCD or the Pod are running it though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Personally I think ye're all spoilt for choice at this years EP, and I'm gutted I can't attend. There's plenty of decent 'dance' music on the lineup, not so much on the main stage but :confused: who cares?

Sorry, can't think of any decent alternatives... Garden party I guess, HiFi for the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

silvine wrote:
    This year I heard rumours of the Chemical Brothers to no avail. The lineup seems to have little or no dance acts apart from the mediocre LCD Sound System. As for Bjork or The Beastie Boys, they are very alternative. Modest Mouse is the only act that really stands out.

Can anyone recommend an different festival or event?

the chems are playing, theyll be announced the week after the may bank holiday, they were keeping the announcement back.

and are you for real about there being **** all dance lineup?

Chemcial Brothers
    Hexstatic
    Derrick Carter
    DJ Marky
    LCD Soundsystem
    Greenskeepers
    Sourcecode
    Ame
    Dixon
    Deadbots
    Josh Wink
    Japanese Popstars
    Paul Hartnoll's The Ideal Condition
    Ratatat
    Ladytron
    Mr Scruff
    Fujiya & Miyagi
    Derek May
    The Glimmers
    DJ Kraze
    The Elecktrons
    Joakim & The Ectoplasmics
    Larry Heard
    Jamie Liddell
    Simian Mobile Disco
    Bonde Do Role
    Annie Mac
    Bodytonic DJs
    Republik DJs - Waterford
    Stiff Kitten DJs
    Viva DJ's
    Acii Disco DJ's
    110 St DJs
    Inner City DJs

for starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Helix wrote:

I dunno. Nothing really stands out out of all them. Barring Ladytron, Derrick Carter, Source Code and Mr. Scruff I wouldn't be mad about or even have heard of a lot of these acts - and I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, being introduced to new talent and the like - but there really isn't enough to interest me so as to justify the price compared to previous years... I wish that they could have got the dance acts poached from 'other' festivals (Digitalism, MANDY, Booka Shade, Erol Alken) and combined them with the Electric Picnic crowd. Even though it's more limited, I'd nearly prefer the Garden Party line-up.

(OT, anyone know if Trent Moeller or Hernan Catalleo are playing in the near future?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you should defo check the ones youve not heard of out before you decide tho

theres some mindbogglingly fantastic stuff

ot: id be surprised if trentmoeller ever plays here outside of a festival due to his ridiculous fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

In fairness, the Trinity Ball looks better than EP for electronic music this year, they've got Booka Shade, Dr. Lektroluv, Erol Alkan and Justice lined up for a college ball! Kicking myself because I have exams that week!
    oxe's dance lineup looks good too- Tiga, Felix da Housecat, Erol Alkan, Booka Shade, M.A.N.D.Y., Deep Dish, DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist (sounds very good to me!), Dr. Lektroluv, Justice and FRANKIE KNUCKLES! Aside from the drunken post-Leaving Cert teenyboppers you'll encounter, that's a pretty damn good dance lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

upmeath wrote:
    In fairness, the Trinity Ball looks better than EP for electronic music this year, they've got Booka Shade, Dr. Lektroluv, Erol Alkan and Justice lined up for a college ball! Kicking myself because I have exams that week!
    oxe's dance lineup looks good too- Tiga, Felix da Housecat, Erol Alkan, Booka Shade, M.A.N.D.Y., Deep Dish, DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist (sounds very good to me!), Dr. Lektroluv, Justice and FRANKIE KNUCKLES! Aside from the drunken post-Leaving Cert teenyboppers you'll encounter, that's a pretty damn good dance lineup.

Damn straight, that... Ball (such events can't be mentioned here) is going to be savage. I'm in UCD myself and tons of my friends have blagged tickets by hook or crook to go see them. Boys Noize are also playing and worth a mention. The big UCD gigs this year were Justice, Erol Alkan, Groove Armada DJ and Dr. Lektroluv and you really notice how many people are being turned onto dance music in general by the college gigs this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Same here jimi, I just got my exam timetable there now, I'm on the 17th and 19th so I might end up locating some tickets yet and heading in, should be a fairly savage night if I can find tickets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Helix wrote:
    the chems are playing, theyll be announced the week after the may bank holiday, they were keeping the announcement back.

Chemcial Brothers
    Hexstatic
    Derrick Carter
    DJ Marky
    LCD Soundsystem
    Greenskeepers
    Sourcecode
    Ame
    Dixon
    Deadbots
    Josh Wink
    Japanese Popstars
    Paul Hartnoll's The Ideal Condition
    Ratatat
    Ladytron
    Mr Scruff
    Fujiya & Miyagi
    Derek May
    The Glimmers
    DJ Kraze
    The Elecktrons
    Joakim & The Ectoplasmics
    Larry Heard
    Jamie Liddell
    Simian Mobile Disco
    Bonde Do Role
    Annie Mac
    Bodytonic DJs
    Republik DJs - Waterford
    Stiff Kitten DJs
    Viva DJ's
    Acii Disco DJ's
    110 St DJs
    Inner City DJs

for starters
    deadly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭remedy dublin

upmeath wrote:

add Modeselektor onto that...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spawnage

hey guys if u want a alternative to inisfox i would strongly recommend INISFOX island festival off the coast of mayo. its on next weekend, june 29th. i was there last year and got my ticket 4 this year ages ago. its on an island so no restrictions on fun! line up is deadly too...

Arveene
    Hystereo
    Arketek
    Tu Ki
    Sinister Industry
    Eddie Brennan
    Marc Allton
    Digital Circus
    MisterWoods
    Steve Reddy
    Worries Reggae Outernational Sound System
    Miller
    Fonetik

check out www.myspace.com/inisfox

electric picnic will be amazing tho. beasties, chemicals plus bodytonic tent is always amazing. acii disco djs not to be missed this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Inisfox sounds class. I like they way it says your 80 euro "covers your boat trip" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement