Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa v West Indies

• 10-04-2007 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭

Should be a good game, South Africa were poor against the Tigers but overall have being better in the world Cup than Lara's boys. I think I shall roar on the West Indies though, its better for the competition if the hosts are involved and the less of Nel and Gibbs the better!!:D

Oh tension!! from cricinfo

Criticism is something that South Africa took with them to Grenada after a frankly abysmal showing against Bangladesh. One minute, Andrew Hall being stood down from the XI was a "tactical decision", the next minute he was suffering from a quadriceps problem - more spin than a White House media release. With Herschelle Gibbs almost certain to miss out with a calf strain, there are selection issues to ponder as well.

The most likely scenario should see Loots Bosman opening with Graeme Smith, and AB de Villiers dropping into the middle order. Hall must be a shoo-in as well, with the run-less and wicket-less Justin Kemp making way so that Andrè Nel's pace and aggression can be unleashed for a second match in succession.

Mickey Arthur, the South African coach, spoke candidly about the loss to Bangladesh, but insisted that the pressure was on West Indies to deliver. "After the game the boys hurt a lot, which is a good thing," he said, echoing what Smith had said about "taking our pain". "We had a good chat about it and we've closed the door on Bangladesh. We realise that we still hold the key to our destiny in this competition. The pressure is going to be more on the West Indies than us."

No matches have been played at the National Cricket stadium in Grenada, and both camps expect a fair bit of assistance from a damp pitch in the morning. Winning the toss and bowling will again be the mantra, and West Indies could look to a three-pronged seam attack of Powell, Jerome Taylor and Ian Bradshaw.

What is certain is that it's last orders time at Last Chance Saloon. The situation isn't quite as desperate yet for South Africa, though there will be few tears shed in these parts if the hosts take a big step towards knocking out one of the favourites. "South Africa can lose all their remaining games and go home, complaining as they always do when they lose," wrote Croft, perhaps irked by frankly ridiculous suggestions that 'cabin fever' had contributed to the Bangladesh loss.

Ecclesiastes talks of "a time to heal" and "a time to build up". Two teams for whom this appears to be a time to whinge would do well to consider the resonance of those words.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

A new venue for this one I think, Grenada. Interesting to see how it plays.

SA should be favourites though you just never know with the windies. I'm hoping we finally see them all guns blazing. There are few teams like them when they're on top form. Gayle has failed so far in the tournament and he holds the key really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Agreed Gayle has being the biggest let down in the tournament so far and yes I wtached all of India's and Pakistans games.

WI win toss and bowl.

SA 6-0 after 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

SA 81/1 after 14.3 overs

Kallis 39 from 23 balls. Smithy back in the stands rather cheaply. AB avoids the duck with a respectable 32 off 42 balls.

It's the Kallis show at the moment. The partneship has yielded 62 runs from 53 balls.

Not looking at all promising for the West Indies here. SA marching along.

135-1 after 26

I'd be very surprised if they didnt make 300.

• Advertisement

186-1 after 34 with Power play 3 remaining.

This has been a desperately poor effort from the West Indies. Well over 300 looks to be a realistic target now. Maybe 330.

Finally Windies manage to get a wicket. Kallis out for 80 off 83 balls.

Meanwhile AB is 96* looking good for a one day hundred.

AB 99* edging ever closer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

mikeruurds wrote:
    Finally Windies manage to get a wicket. Kallis out for 80 off 83 balls.

Meanwhile AB is 96* looking good for a one day hundred.

About bloody time, he was starting to tick me off with his performances. Gonna go watch now (hate work)

AB 100 from 116 balls... goes some way to making up for his series of ducks in this tournament.

• Advertisement

LOL, 18 runs off that over, this is gonna get silly.

AB is going mental... two 6s in a row!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sportaholic

Jesus this is carnage :eek:

If he can survive the cramp he might have a chance at taking the World Record for the highest ODI score.

Now I just musn't jinx him :D

I wonder if Brian has forgotten about the 3rd Powerplay???

WI have just had no answer to some excellent batting. Their fielding has been lazy and generally quite apalling though. They dont deserve to go any further in the tournament. Theres no way they'll chase this total either which will be in excess of 320 for sure. Maybe closer to 350.

I'm sure it won't happen, but it would be great if AB's first ODI 100 turned out to exceed Saeed Anwar's ODI record of 195 :

Hehe... jinxed him :D AB OUT!

6's galore!!

346-3 and still an over to go

WI's Rubbish captain, rubbish bowling and rubbish lazy fielding, great batting by SA though!

mikeruurds wrote:
    I wonder if Brian has forgotten about the 3rd Powerplay???

I reckon he did and paid badly for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was watching most of this today. Had to go to work when it got good. Damn.

• Advertisement

Well, how do you describe those last few overs. Astonishing decision by Lara.

356-4 for SA

Marshy wrote:
    Astonishing decision by Lara.

One of the finest players but surely the worst international captain ever?

Good to see the WI putting up some sort of fight, still dont think they are gonna make it. Every dot ball at this stage piles onto that run rate ^^.
    And that catch by gibbs, crisis i was shouting at the tv, insane catch.

Good to see the WI putting up some sort of fight, still dont think they are gonna make it.
    Are we watching the same game here. As far as I can see they've given in quite tamely. Only sarwan has shown any desire to guts it out. Once again Gayle flattered to deceive with a needless run out, sums up the west indies at the moment. Well there out of the WC now. What they deserve.

By the way they're 204-7 after 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

just seen the SA score(356):eek:
    did the windies turn up to bowl?

WI 235-8(41.5)

county wrote:
    just seen the SA score(356):eek:
    did the windies turn up to bowl?

WI 235-8(41.5)

Lol, AB and kallis gave them a rather decent hiding :D, and then Lara realized in the 45th over that he better play that third powerplay that he forgot about :D.

Well thats the end of the road now for WI. A 4th thumping in a row in the super 8s.

SA will now be strong favourites to make the last 4 now. The game against Eng may be crucial though.

SA 356-4
    WI 289-9

Advertisement