Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 Avant import from UK.

Options
  • 10-04-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm seriously considering making a trip to the UK to buy a nice high spec A4 or A4 Avant Tdi. I've noticed that most of the UK cars have fairly high mileage. The car I'm looking at is a 2005 2 ltre TDi with 57000 miles on it. That's 28500 miles per year. I'm likely to do 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year and I'll probably keep it for 2 or 3 years so it should even out. Also, the car I'm looking at is a private sale.
    Should I keep away from such high mileage or is there anything specific to look out for with these cars? Also will a 4 year old car be worthless with 90,000 miles on it?
    Any advice greatly appreciated...
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Donie75 wrote:
    Hi folks,
    I'm seriously considering making a trip to the UK to buy a nice high spec A4 or A4 Avant Tdi. I've noticed that most of the UK cars have fairly high mileage. The car I'm looking at is a 2005 2 ltre TDi with 57000 miles on it. That's 28500 miles per year. I'm likely to do 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year and I'll probably keep it for 2 or 3 years so it should even out. Also, the car I'm looking at is a private sale.
    Should I keep away from such high mileage or is there anything specific to look out for with these cars? Also will a 4 year old car be worthless with 90,000 miles on it?
    Any advice greatly appreciated...
    D

28,500 miles per year is not too high for a diesel car assuming it is genuine mileage. I would be more concerned about how the car was driven, generally UK roads are alot better than Irish roads so if it was all motorway driving then I would have no problem with it.

The most important thing with buying a car in the UK imo is a full HPI check and full service history. A full HPI check against the car's UK reg and chassis number will verify the correct mileage, outstanding finance, any insurance claims and MOT failures. Also make sure all offical documentation with the car checks out i.e. check the VIN number on the car against the VIN on the registration document, etc. Also check any invoices for servicing or repair work done checks out. If anything doesn't check out or feel right then walk away.

P.S. With 57k miles on the clock the timing belt will either need changing soon or have been changed. Check with the seller and use it as a bargining tool if it is not done.

Also check out the stickies here for advice on buying a car in the UK. There is some useful information/tips from people who have already done this.

Advertisement