Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalmtian Breeders!

Options
  • 10-04-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hello. Over the summer im looking to adopt a Dalmatian. I live in Limerick and so far have only been able to contact a breeder in Laois who is breeding! Anyone any help for me? The Munster area preferably but i'd be willing to go furthur for reputable breeders. I've already contacted breeders in th UK but getting one over there is out of the question! Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Do you actually want to 'adopt' one (from a shelter etc) or buy one from a breeder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Buy from a breeder but adopt sounds nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Dalmations are very striking animals - beautiful to look at. But thats all I know!

If you would consider taking in a rescue dog instead, a greyhound perhaps, let me know! They are also pretty striking, and very easy to care for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Dafydd Thomas, maybe a stupid question, but have you tried contacting the Irish kennel club, they should be able to help you find a breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You'd be better of "adopting", i.e. getting one from a rescue, tbh.

101 Dalmations came out long enough ago, for the rescues to be brimming with perfectly healthy Dalmatians ...but nor long enough yet for (some)breeders to have come off their mass production, bad quality at a high price breeding schedule.

*feeling very cynical today, sorry*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Be very careful buying a Dalmatian, 1 in 3 of them are at least partially deaf. There's a few dalmatians on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ looking for homes. A friend of mine has one. Hers came from the pound as an adolescent about a year after that bloody film came out. Don't get one unless you're prepared to give it a lot of exercise, they're very energetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

That is very sound advice from Nala.

The victorians used to have them running alongside horse drawn carriages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatian#Origin_and_history

I had a feeling that thesewould be the replies I would get. I have done plentyof research into the breed and it is not a spur of the moment decision. For those of you who asked about me getting a greyhound, ironically enough I ahve 9! My dad breeds them! Yes, I have contacted the IKC who gave me the number of the Irish Dalmatian Club. I then got the number of a breeder in Leinster who did not know of the genetic defects in Dalmatians! And yes I am aware that 8% of dals are completely deaf and 22-24% deaf in one ear. This is why I went searching in England as they have BAER testing facilities! However getting one in England is sort of a hindrance as regular visits to the breeder would be tough to organise! I have also looked into getting one from rescue centres but most of them are deaf or old!

And I am VERY AWARE of the exercise needed for a Dalmatian! It won't be a problem since greyhounds need more exercise than dalmatians and I have been looking after greyhounds all my life! Please do not go presuming that I do not know what it involves if you do not know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

And I am VERY AWARE of the exercise needed for a Dalmatian! It won't be a problem since greyhounds need more exercise than dalmatians and I have been looking after greyhounds all my life! Please do not go presuming that I do not know what it involves if you do not know me.

Hmm... I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I take it they were racing dogs. Pet greyhounds need two short walks a day, and they're happy to lounge on the couch the rest of the time. (They wouldnt be on that high protein/energy food the racers would either)
    Dalmations need a lot more exercise than pet greyhounds. Personally I'd only consider getting one if I could take it out on exercise with my horse.
    Cant help you breeder wise I'm afraid... Have you tried NI?

My greyhounds are race gods... I don't know if you are questioning the way I look after my dogs but I am aware of how to look after my animals and a dalmatian. I still have to contact the Northern ireland Dalmatian Club. I might be able to get some good breeders there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My greyhounds are race gods... I don't know if you are questioning the way I look after my dogs but I am aware of how to look after my animals and a dalmatian. I still have to contact the Northern ireland Dalmatian Club. I might be able to get some good breeders there!

I'm not questioning it at all, I'm just pointing out that the exercise racing greyhounds need to get fit is completely different to the amount of exercise pet greyhounds need to keep them happy... which believe it or not, is very little... If you think about it, it makes sense. Greyhounds were bred to sprint, i.e. short bursts of energy, rather than the sustained effort and stamina a dalmation would need to stay with a carriage over long distances. All that walking you do with racing greyhounds is to build up their muscle for racing fitness..

You should go to one of these dog shows that will be on during the summer. I was at an international one last weekend, and there were a few nice dalmations there. I'd say if you get in touch with the UK clubs, they might be able to get you in touch with some NI breeders.

Advertisement