Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Standards

Options
  • 10-04-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭

Just put the car through it's first NCT this morning and it passed.

I was convinced it would fail as the front two tyres were worn down to the minmum dept. I have new tyres on order from eiretyres but they notified me that there would be a delay and they will not be delivered until late this week. Also there is a nice buckle in one of my alloy wheels thanks to a pothole I encountered about 2 weeks ago. All I had done prior the test was the tracking last Friday.

I also had a look at the test results and all emissions are fine too. I thought that the cat might be a major issue considering the car has 135k miles on the clock but all passed fine.

Just wondering have the NCT test standards dropped as you hear all the time of cars being failed for silly things or did I get lucky today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

dont get me started, my car has failed 4 times for emissions yet the machine in the garage says its fine, another garage confirms this reading. Have brought it to 2 diff nct centres failed in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

bazz26 wrote:
    Just put the car through it's first NCT this morning and it passed.

I was convinced it would fail as the front two tyres were worn down to the minmum dept. I have new tyres on order from eiretyres but they notified me that there would be a delay and they will not be delivered until late this week. Also there is a nice buckle in one of my alloy wheels thanks to a pothole I encountered about 2 weeks ago. All I had done prior the test was the tracking last Friday.

I also had a look at the test results and all emissions are fine too. I thought that the cat might be a major issue considering the car has 135k miles on the clock but all passed fine.

Just wondering have the NCT test standards dropped as you hear all the time of cars being failed for silly things or did I get lucky today?

I too did my cars first NCT about a week ago.Only comment made to me about it was that it was overfilled with engine oil. :( It seems to me that if a car is serviced as required it will pass without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I recently put a car through the NCT, it passed but the emissions readings were quite different than those taken using an exhaust gas analyzer in a garage a few days earlier. Lambda from the garage was 1.003, from NCTS was 1.023. CO at high idle was nearly twice as high in the NCT. HC was higher too. Engine temperature was 20 degrees higher during the NCT, I would have thought that this woud have resulted in lower CO rather than increased CO?

The only other explanation that I can think of is that exhaust gas analyzers used by garages and the NCT are not particularly accurate and precise or that one of the anazlyzers was faulty, out of calibration etc.

BTW another car of mine that did the NCT recently has about the same mileage as your car bazz26. It sailed through the emissions and everything else and the Lambda was 1.002 IIRC :)

Advertisement