Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Prospects

• 10-04-2007 3:49pm

What are the jobs prospects for graduates in the Arts degree who picked subjects like Geography and Economics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

If you're a bit of an average joe, with average grades and not too much cop on then I would say terrible. If you have a bit of initiative, have plenty of involvement with socities or workplaces and decent grades then you could do well for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

A 2.2 will get you into fund accounting, it's not particularly nice tho.

Thanks for the replies, I have an interview soon (am a mature student) any advice?

Also need an explanation as to what this means "BA Single/Joint Honours"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ba Single: One subject degree.
    BA Joint: 2 subjects degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

From my experience it is the fact that you have a degree rather than the subject or the grade that is important.

3rd hons Econ/Fin now working as network admin.

having said that, not sure i would fancy my chances against a comp sci masters graduate unless its based on experience.

A friend of mine graduated from maynooth with geography and sociology. studied remote sensing. He is now head of an IT helpdesk in Australia.

IMHO: your degree / education should be a basis for the role you take but not the defining restrictions on what you can do. (in my case the degree got me a job as a market analyst in teh same company I moved over to IT in, since then it only comes up as a conversation piece in interviews).

• Advertisement
Advertisement