Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazilia

• 10-04-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

I think these guys are fantastic - but I don't have a regular 'girl' in there.

Does anyone recommend a particular beautician in Brazilia for the more 'intimate' waxing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I agree - they are amazing.
    I have been to a few, Pamela seems to really take her time and get it right.
    One thing though - she keeps on saying... 'I'm nearly finished' and she never is!!!
    She definitely hurts the most, but the results are the best.

One thing though - they always give out hell to me for shaving inbetween waxes. How on earth can shaving effect the hair growth? It is not chemical, hormonal or medicinal. I'm just cutting the hair above the skin, I'm not doing anything to the follicle underneath.

Other than the regular ragging I get for the shaving, they are tip-top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

olaola wrote:
    One thing though - they always give out hell to me for shaving inbetween waxes. How on earth can shaving effect the hair growth? It is not chemical, hormonal or medicinal. I'm just cutting the hair above the skin, I'm not doing anything to the follicle underneath.

Other than the regular ragging I get for the shaving, they are tip-top.
    That's because if you shave or trim the hair between waxes, it's more difficult to get the hair to all come off and some hairs will be remaining. How long do you leave between waxes?

tinkerbell wrote:
    That's because if you shave or trim the hair between waxes, it's more difficult to get the hair to all come off and some hairs will be remaining. How long do you leave between waxes?

No - I would only go to get it waxed if the hair long was long enough. They rag on about how much thicker the hair is after shaving. One even said it was making it 'spread' my leg!! I mean... wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Waxing thins out the hair making it softer and lighter in colour. Shaving does the complete opposite. It makes the hair coarser and can split hairs so it appears that there are more there. Shaving also increases the rate at which hair grows back. After long periods of waxing hair becomes noticably finer and there is'nt as much there to wax but shaving in between waxes negates all of the possible advantages of waxing :D

Just thought you should know, if you can hold off on the shaving even for a few months, you'll be amazed at the difference.

sonners wrote:
    Waxing thins out the hair making it softer and lighter in colour. Shaving does the complete opposite. It makes the hair coarser and can split hairs so it appears that there are more there. Shaving also increases the rate at which hair grows back. After long periods of waxing hair becomes noticably finer and there is'nt as much there to wax but shaving in between waxes negates all of the possible advantages of waxing :D

Just thought you should know, if you can hold off on the shaving even for a few months, you'll be amazed at the difference.

See - this is the thing. Shaving only APPEARS to make the hair thicker, as the cut end is blunt. It doesn't actually make it thicker, or make more hair grow.
    Waxing on the other hand, will thin out the hair, as you are pulling the hair from the follicle - making it weaker. So shaving inbetween is not detracting from waxing. Unless you are waxing less over the same period, so the hair is not getting as weak as quickly.
    How can shaving make the hair grow quicker? The hair I am cutting off is just dead material. It is in no way effecting the growth beneath the skin.

I prefer waxing, as you get a better finish, and it lasts longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

olaola wrote:
    I prefer waxing, as you get a better finish, and it lasts longer.

If you can stand the embarrassment!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Glowing wrote:
    If you can stand the embarrassment!! :eek:

It's not that embarrassing. The beauticians do it all the time, it's their job.

Your special area is no different to anyone elses to them.

I have to say in Brazilia, they just get you to whip everything off and spread em!
    They don't bat an eyelid. They just chat away about anything. Their standards of hygiene seem to be good too - they would sterilise their hands regularly before and after waxing.

I've had waxes done before where they will barely touch you! It was QUITE irritating.

olaola wrote:
    I have to say in Brazilia, they just get you to whip everything off and spread em!

Yeah, I was absolutely mortified! Especially the 'knees under your chin' part! :eek:

However, it wasn't that bad that I'd never go back! You're right when you say they don't bat an eyelid - very professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I had it done in Brazilia a few months ago, the results were great, BUT,
    the hurt like nothing I've ever experienced before, do not think I could put myself through that again, I wonder does it matter who does it? a friend got
    it done and didn't experience much pain at all!!

• Advertisement

The last time, I had an 'extended g-string' which tbh took off more than I expected! So this time around, i'm having 'it' done, kinda guessing it can't be that much worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Galadriel wrote:
    I had it done in Brazilia a few months ago, the results were great, BUT,
    the hurt like nothing I've ever experienced before, do not think I could put myself through that again, I wonder does it matter who does it? a friend got
    it done and didn't experience much pain at all!!

Where is Brazilia ladies? I shall have to try it out.
    Reason that it could maybe have been less painful for your friend is that you really shouldn't drink the night before having a wax, it hightens sensitivity to pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I think that how painful a waxing is depends on how high your pain threshold is. My pain threshold is non existant and as a result it hurts or rather stings A LOT. However I've found that I have to wax less often. A waxing every 6-8 weeks keeps everything tidy.

The short-term pain is a lot easier to put up with than the itching and shaving rash that one gets after shaving. I don't think that I'll ever get used to the waxing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Reason that it could maybe have been less painful for your friend is that you really shouldn't drink the night before having a wax, it hightens sensitivity to pain.

What about having a drink just before you go in?:p

As far as waxing goes - Brazilia is by FAR the least painful.
    None of my treatment hurted me, until I got Pamela! But she was just over-careful I think.

Honestly, strip waxing has not got a patch on this place. I have dark black thick hair. I think I'm a fairly good benchmark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Where is Brazilia ladies? I shall have to try it out.
    Here's their site - they're on South William Street. I like the way they explain the exact difference between each wax, that's pretty helpful. I'll have to try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Glowing wrote:
    The last time, I had an 'extended g-string' which tbh took off more than I expected! So this time around, i'm having 'it' done, kinda guessing it can't be that much worse!

i wanted to get that done-do they do the whole knees under the chin business with that one?but yet again they freak out about shaving.they gave out ****e to me and said i had to wait for the hair to grow longer,wasnt loving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Mmmmh, maybe I'll brave it again, I'll try the girl my friend got Emma-Jayne, funny enough I was so worried about the pain wasn't in the slightest bit embarrassed, they actually said if you find it painful to take two nurofen before going in, I'll give it one last go to escape the whole rash after shaving thing :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I'd put my hand up for Ellen or Helen. I've been going to Brazilia for 18 months now and I love them. I've always had a fabulous wax no matter who has done it and I love how they'll squeeze me in if I need an appointment at short notice.

As for the shaving between waxing it actually does make a difference. I don't know why or how but it does whether you like it or not and a waxist can tell straight away whether you've shaved and how much you shave. If you've shaved it makes it more difficult for them and it's more painful for you. It should only take five weeks before the hair is long enough to be waxed again anyway, why bother shaving??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Went there during the week. As a bloke and a first time waxer I was fairly nervous both about the stigma and the level of pain I expected to endure in the slightly more sensitive areas. But I have to say they were nothing but 100% professional about it all (While talking to my waxist i learned I was already about the fifth or sixth guy that day). I only got a leg wax and apart from one tug of the strip which was quite sore it was no worse than removing a sticky plaster.
    The only thing I would say about it is that I was expecting totally smooth legs but against the grain there is still some resistance. Perhaps that clears with a few more waxings?
    Either way I'll be back in a few weeks for another session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

gamblor101 wrote:
    The only thing I would say about it is that I was expecting totally smooth legs but against the grain there is still some resistance. Perhaps that clears with a few more waxings?

yeah hair grows at different rates, so chances are there were a good few that were too short to catch. after a few waxes it'll end up being alot smoother each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

So in brazilia you wear nothing at all? Most places I go for my brazilian wax they give you paper knicker things or get you to leave your own on! Then they just lift them when theyre trying to get to the awkward places.

Also, how long do you guys tend to wait between waxes? I hate waiting for it to grow long enough before I can get another one.. but I dont know what the minimum length for waxing is?

Im defo going to try out brazilia anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

That's right, nothing in Braxillia. Different places appear to have different definitions of what a brazillian is. I've had some places that call an extensive bikini line wax a brazillian and they never touched the hair on the lips or bum (:o:o:o:o) To me It makes more sense to not wear the paper thingies, they'd only get in the way and it's not as if she isn't going to see it all in any case.

I get it done about once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I had Emma Jane and she was great, and another one I think called Kathryn, also great. I'd been going to Brazilia for ages, then decided to try somewhere new, and couldn't BELIEVE how much worse they were (in terms of professionalism, surroundings, results, everything) so I'm never leaving Brazilia again!

An additional question though - do you guys tip your waxer? I don't cos I can hardly afford the wax in the first place, but I'm wondering about what someone said about being fitted in at the last minute...they don't do that for me!!

Advertisement