Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash Only Landlords

Options
  • 10-04-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I've found a place to live except the letting agent has said the landlord is strictly cash only (for tax purposes) should I be wary, or as long as I'm dealing with a letting agent should everything be fine?

I understand I won't be able to reclaim any tax because of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tax dodging scum-I’ve dealt with a few of these.
    Nothing wrong with paying cash as long as you get receipts but I doubt you will get receipts. I wouldn’t dream of handing over a deposit in cash without a receipt either.

Simple solution OP.
    Move in and pay as normal-I hope this place is slightly cheaper than market rate and if it isn’t you better negotiate €30 a month off as that’s what it’s costing you.
    This may or may not work, it’s up to you how far you want to push it.

When you move out, ask for their PPS number so you claim your Rent Relief.
    They will tell you not a chance as they don’t want the revenue getting knowing their business.
    So you laugh in their face and say you are reporting them to the revenue for non-declaration of income and they are now wide open for back tax and penalties.

Now fill up your Rent1 form with as much information as you can and you will get your rent relief.
    It just takes a bit longer without the PPS number but the revenue website and call staff are very helpful

Edit: I see you’re dealing with a letting agent so maybe my advice won’t apply

Check out Accommodation forum, this question often comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

If you don't rent the place make sure to get a number or a name. And then report the letting agent to the authorites as well. Can't stand scumbags like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I know for a fact you can still claim your rent relief, whether or not you have receipts/pps from the landlord.

so take it and go ahead and claim, it's your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Anything else I should be wary about, or should the fact that I'm going through a letting agent make it pretty sound. I just have faint warning bells ringing in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

My Dad's friend has over 30 houses in Galway city and gets cash for them all. However, charges much less than the going rate. How can you claim back tax on your rent? Never heard of that before in my life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it's called rent relief, and every resident paying taxes here can claim it...
    Landlords are supposed to register, and should provide you with their PPS number so you can claim your tax back...

it's all on oasis.gov.ie...

someone I know threatened to report his landlord to the tax office for not being registered, and that landlord then paid him the 300 Euro/year that he could claim in rent relief in cash for him to keep quiet...that's another way of doing it, I suppose...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Shop him to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You don't need the PPS and you don't need the receipt to claim it, in the unlikely event that you get audited you simply tell them what rent you paid and it's up to them to then go after your landlord. If you are honest you have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Found a place that is the same as the tax dodging blokes place, with better furniture and E50 cheaper a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

MattKid wrote:
    Anything else I should be wary about, or should the fact that I'm going through a letting agent make it pretty sound. I just have faint warning bells ringing in my head.

Going through a letting agency doesn't always guarantee safety. I lost a deposit a few years ago because the letting agency closed up shop owing loads of money all over town. Because the landlord wasn't holding the deposit he couldn't/wouldn't return it to us. The fraud squad got involved but nothing ever came of it.

Bah!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 iarlaoha

Robbo wrote:
    Shop him to the PRTB.

That's a ****ing joke and a half. The PRTB is completely understaffed, mostly staffed by temps, and you'd be waiting 18 months before they'd look at the file.

Advertisement