Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squarepusher

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Very impressive technically but bored me musically after 15 seconds.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I must admit, it's not one of his better pieces. He's a DJ normally that plays bass.

I've gotten seriously bored with the whole great-technique-but-****-music buzz. Entertain me too, you ****s!

Must. Resist. Rant.

Technique is good but there's a reason why U2 is bigger than Steve Vai...

Yep. Agreed. Good tunes and good technique don't necessarily need to be mutually exclusive though, that's why **** like that just bores the tits off me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

The fact that solo bass music sucks donkey balls doesnt help this guy.

And this is coming from a bass player.

Here's an interview with him and a better example of his work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I can't believe I just came across a whole thread slagging off Squarepusher. He is not a DJ (argh, the woman interviewing him in the clip above is an idiot), he's a groundbreaking electronic musician who happens to play a few live instruments, including fretless bass and drums, extraordinarily well. The bass playing stuff is only a little bit of what he does - Squarepusher is a god in D'n'B and IDM circles, if that happens to be your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

also he uses programs like max/msp to make hardware and software equipment react to what hes playing in truly amazing ways. squarepusher has made some brilliant music, and definitely not just in a technical way. check out his last album, hello everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Doctor J wrote:
    I've gotten seriously bored with the whole great-technique-but-****-music buzz. Entertain me too, you ****s!

Yeah, no matter how good someone's technique is, there is always gonna be someone better so its not impressive anymore, especially when you've seen it a million times before.
    This is nothing against the guy in question, I don't know much of his music, just a general comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nice interview there. Personally I think Squarepusher is incredible, as Fey and Cornbb point out, that's not really what his albums sound like. They're more in the Aphex Twin spectrum of electronic music (but far more creative than AT). He's definitely not just someone with great technique but can't write a good song. He's absolutely magic.

Advertisement