Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two iPods on one desktop/iTunes?

Options
  • 10-04-2007 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a cheapy iPod shuffle to bring out on my jogs, since the rusty old 20gb monster doesn't seem to like the jolting too much.

I have my music library synced to the 20gb iPod and I'd like to keep it that way, and then manually sync the playlists I want with the shuffle.

Is that possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

It is possible. I often plug my ipod into other peoples itunes and it doesn't sync with their libraries. You just need to change the shuffles settings to manual song transfer and that will do it. I don't know if you can have two ipods plugged in at the same time though, personally I wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Def possible. I have a few pods, in fact have had three plugged in at the same time at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Two Windows User Accounts Option

Let's say you have one computer and two iPods. It's easy enough to synchronize both iPods with just one computer, as long as both iPod users are happy accessing the same music library or the same set of playlists. But that can become hard to manage, especially if you're manually updating the iPod or adding new music that you'd like to keep separate.
    In most cases, the easiest way to keep discrete libraries for syncing both iPods is to create a separate user account for each person who uses an iPod with the computer. Here's how to create a separate user and share music under Windows XP.
    First, click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts (Start > Settings > Control Panel if you use the Classic view). Click 'Create a new account' and follow the instructions.
    Windows XP kindly provides a shared folder that already includes a directory called Shared Music (find it under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents). The easiest thing to do is to copy all the music on your computer into this folder so that all users can access it. Then the lucky owner of the new iPod can pick and choose what music to include in his or her iTunes Library.
    From the new account, in iTunes, click File > Add Folder To Library, and copy over whatever music you want (make sure to check the box next to 'Copy files to iTunes music folder' when adding to library, under Advanced in the Preferences dialogue box, so that iTunes doesn't consolidate the files for the music library).
    Now both users can share all or part of the same library, add new music whenever necessary and automatically update their iPods without the hassle of manually sifting through a large shared library.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement