Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Madwoman in Maynooth

Options
  • 10-04-2007 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to all you good people who happen to travel west on the M4, and in particular, if you take the turn off for Maynooth.

I was travelling out that way last Saturday morning at 10a.m. when I took the slip road off the motorway. Now for anyone who knows this road, it veers sharply off to the left. As I was going round the bend of the slip road, I had to jam on my brakes as one of our "safe lady drivers" was coming straight at me heading the wrong way down the slip road so she could enter the motorway. I stopped and beeped her to warn her she was going the wrong way. Her reaction was to start mouthing off at me and beeping her horn and waving at me to get out of the way. I rolled the window down and told her again that she was going the wrong way. Her reaction was "How do you know where I'm f$cking going?". If the situation hadn't been so dangerous, I'd have laughed. However, I calmly told her she going the wrong way down a one way slip road and that she'd be entering a motorway facing in the wrong direction. She then proceeded to do a u-turn and screeched off back towards Maynooth.

Lunatics everywhere (and she probably has lower car insurance than most of us:confused: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did you get her reg number and report her to Trafficwatch? I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It takes some effort to get that far without noticing anything wrong. How completely stupid is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

That doesnt bear thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

sounds like a nutjob, i would have reported her

reminds me of the film planes, trains and automobiles where theyre driving down the wrong way of the motorway and the someone on the right side is trying to tell them theyre going the wrong way- their reaction is "how does he know where were going?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

I love the way this is directly attributed to her gender.
    Didnt Jim McDaid do something similar when under the influence? Maybe she was on something... thats not normal behaviour. You definitely should have reported her.
    As for women being safer drivers.. the numbers speak for themselves. Of 370 killed on roads last year, approximately 270 were male ( I dont know the exact numbers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Having gone to NUIM for 3 years, I saw quite a few of these. One guy on a motorbike went past me even though I was flashing/beeping him; he turned around after an artic almost creamed him. The majority were male, so it's nowt to do with gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Reminds me of the following gag :D :

Wife watching TV, sees helicopter footage of a lunatic bombing it the wrong way down the motor way.

Suddenly remembers her husband is out driving near said motorway, quickly rings his mobile and screams, "George, Geroge, be careful, theres a nutter driving down the wrong side of the motorway!!!!!"

Husband replies : "One nutter? There's fecking hundred's of the b**tards!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

fits wrote:
    Didnt Jim McDaid do something similar when under the influence? Maybe she was on something... thats not normal behaviour. You definitely should have reported her.
    As for women being safer drivers.. the numbers speak for themselves. Of 370 killed on roads last year, approximately 270 were male ( I dont know the exact numbers).

I'd love to know what the breakdown of male versus female drivers on the road is at any time. It's something that's never mentioned when people spew these statistics....

I mean, if 25% of drivers on the road at any time are female, the above statistics would do no more than suggest men and women posed equal risk as motorists..... But we'll never know, will we? Instead, consider the number of women you see driving trucks, delivery vans, working as field service engineers, construction workers etc.... All heavy daily road users. Don't you think these figures need to be viewed in context? Are you smelling what I'm cooking sunshine? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fits wrote:
    Is it? Where?

Gil_Dub wrote:
    I'd love to know what the breakdown of male versus female drivers on the road is at any time. It's something that's never mentioned when people spew these statistics....

I mean, if 25% of drivers on the road at any time are female, the above statistics would do no more than suggest men and women posed equal risk as motorists..... But we'll never know, will we? Instead, consider the number of women you see driving trucks, delivery vans, working as field service engineers, construction workers etc.... Are you smelling what I'm cooking sunshine? ;)

:D:D I do.... and funnily enough its steaming and smelly... sunshine....

But its not the people driving trucks and delivery vans and field service engineers who are dying on the roads is it now?.... its the lads who feel the need to treat their cars as dick extensions....

• Advertisement

........ as one of our "safe lady drivers" ....

Sorry perhaps I misinterpreted the above...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fits wrote:
    Sorry perhaps I misinterpreted the above...
    Sorry, I missed that line!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness it's a legitimate (and appropriately ironic - hence the " " around the comment by the OP) observation in this case given that female drivers ARE generally considered to be safer and DO get cheaper insurance as a result of this.

Personally I think if we all really want to be PC :rolleyes: , then we should all be treated equally in terms of our driving ability, insurance quotes etc, until proven otherwise.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Personally I think if we all really want to be PC :rolleyes: , then we should all be treated equally in terms of our driving ability, insurance quotes etc, until proven otherwise.

Yeah I guess so, I know a lot of young guys who are spot on in their driving and they are unfairly punished by insurance companies.
    I suppose going on the statistics is the only way the insurance companies can do it, its all about risk and theres no point evaluating risk after the event.

Theres been a few posts recently about 'wimmin drivers' and it just annoys me a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

New edict - All threads must be gender neutral!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Last week I was turning off the N7 onto the N8 when suddenly I realised the car just up ahead of me was actually reversing. Some old farmer type auld lad in an old jap import corrolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mike65 wrote:
    New edict - All threads must be gender neutral!

Mike.
    Now now Mike. You don't have teh powah around here no more! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just a warning to all you good people who happen to travel west on the M4, and in particular, if you take the turn off for Maynooth.

I was travelling out that way last Saturday morning at 10a.m. when I took the slip road off the motorway. Now for anyone who knows this road, it veers sharply off to the left. As I was going round the bend of the slip road, I had to jam on my brakes as one of our "safe lady drivers" was coming straight at me heading the wrong way down the slip road so she could enter the motorway. I stopped and beeped her to warn her she was going the wrong way. Her reaction was to start mouthing off at me and beeping her horn and waving at me to get out of the way. I rolled the window down and told her again that she was going the wrong way. Her reaction was "How do you know where I'm f$cking going?". If the situation hadn't been so dangerous, I'd have laughed. However, I calmly told her she going the wrong way down a one way slip road and that she'd be entering a motorway facing in the wrong direction. She then proceeded to do a u-turn and screeched off back towards Maynooth.

Lunatics everywhere (and she probably has lower car insurance than most of us:confused: )

I would have been out of the car with the wheel brace.... i mean, calmly told her to turn around and directed her to where she needed to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote:
    Did you get her reg number and report her to Trafficwatch? I would have.

Of all the battles out there, this is the one I would have picked too. Any update, Prosperous Dave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

logik wrote:
    I would have been out of the car with the wheel brace.... i mean, calmly told her to turn around and directed her to where she needed to go :)
    Out with the wheel brace and showed her the correct way by "gently" coaxing her head around to the direction she should have been travelling... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Biro wrote:
    Out with the wheel brace and showed her the correct way by "gently" coaxing her head around to the direction she should have been travelling... :D

lol don't you know it :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How do you know where I'm f$cking going?
    Priceless!

Don't know about driving the wrong way on a motorway but I often see people reversing on them (esp. the M50). Only last week I saw some 'story bud' skanger in his modded 106 (L-Plates and all!) (very) slowly edging his way backwards towards the Tallaght exit ramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

you have me wondering now if that was the missus..................

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In my 5 years driving in and out to Maynooth I never saw that happen but I did share a house with a girl in Maynooth who bought a Ford Fiesta and half way through her first driving lesson, kicked the instructor out of the car and told her to f*ck off, she'd do it herself.

She never had a lesson afterwards and within the year had 4 speeding fines, numerous parking fines, had crashed it three times into parked cars (left the scene!), crashed it into the windowsill at the front of the house and also accidentally set fire to it when she left a ciggarette burning in an overflowing ashtray stuffed with ash and shopping receipts...

While it sounds funny the same girl has since had a breakdown and is now in a home! Goes to show you just don't know who the hell is on the road in front of you or what's around the next corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I was on my way out to our new house to do some painting when I came across this eejit. Thing is, my car was full of 10 litre pots of paint that probably would have exploded in a tidal wave of magnolia if I'd hit her head on. Cops probably would have done me for having magnolia tinted windows then:D

BTW, this "lady" (and I use that term very loosely after getting a dose of her language) was driving a corolla saloon with L plates. Stupid of me not to get her reg but my first thought was "goodbye cruel world" quickly followed by "she's out early for her Sunday drive", and finally by "God, she's ugly. Perhaps she caught sight of herself in a mirror and now wants to end it all. Better let her on her way then".

Seriously though, its eejits on L plates like this one who are allowed to drive cars unaccompanied that have our roads as lethal as they are. And to all the pc concious Boardsies out there, eejits come in all shapes, sizes and from both sexes. This one just happened to be a woman, or else a very ugly man in drag:confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

God, she's ugly.
    <snip>
    This one just happened to be a woman, or else a very ugly man in drag:confused:
    ROFLMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seriously though, its eejits on L plates like this one who are allowed to drive cars unaccompanied that have our roads as lethal as they are.
    while there is no doubt this one was an idiot a car with L plates doesnt always mean a learner driver.
    PLenty of people share cars with children, partners etc.

If you want to see crap driving borrow a car with a L plate on it and strap yourself in. There is no speed you can go at that you wont be overtaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Just to show it is not just down to sex...
    I remember number of years ago watching lady driving wrong way around the Parkway roundabout on Dublin road in Limerick. This was at 3pm and as some people may know it is very busy roundabout, so why she decided to drive opposite direction to all other traffic beats me?
    Another occassion on N11 passing Cornellscourt met guy in old jeep driving down wrong side of dual carriageway at 11 am.
    And btw they were definetly not foreigners who were used to driving on other side of road.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

GreeBo wrote:
    while there is no doubt this one was an idiot a car with L plates doesnt always mean a learner driver.
    PLenty of people share cars with children, partners etc.

If you want to see crap driving borrow a car with a L plate on it and strap yourself in. There is no speed you can go at that you wont be overtaken.

True but this car did have an L plate and she was driving the wrong way down a motorway slip road and thus I'd safely say she was an inexperienced driver who should take more care while on the public highway. In other words she should find another way to kill herself, preferably one that wouldn't involve taking anyone else, especially me, with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

fits wrote:

Ah get off your high horse. If anything it is you who is the sexist here.
    I see plenty of threads about guys breaking road rules, and doing stupid things, but no one comes on spouting about gender issues.

Have you nothing to do but come on here and try and make a issue out of something that isn't an issue. The fact is that the OP saw a WOMAN drive doing something utterly reckless behind the wheel. Accept it.

Advertisement