Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Madwoman in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

jmayo wrote:
    Just to show it is not just down to sex...
    I remember number of years ago watching lady driving wrong way around the Parkway roundabout on Dublin road in Limerick. This was at 3pm and as some people may know it is very busy roundabout, so why she decided to drive opposite direction to all other traffic beats me?

Know the one! How thick could she have possibly been? That roundabout is almost always very busy during the day, surely she had seen the other traffic! :eek:

I saw an old guy beginning to drive the wrong way around the Raheen roundabout beside the South Court Hotel one day, and that's a busy roundabout too!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

My mam has just started driving i can see her doing something like this very very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

prospect wrote:
    An I am afraid that the drivers of three cars I met on single lane roads this morning were all female..

posted by you in another thread... How is this relevant??? Who is the sexist? I didnt have to search to hard to find this.
    I'm not trying to defend the indefensible here, the lady in question is quite clearly mad (and has a sense of humour). But to lump all lady drivers into the same category is unfair!
    I also said in the thread that many of my friends are very safe drivers who are unfairly penalised by insurance companies because of their gender/age.

prospect wrote:
    Ah get off your high horse. If anything it is you who is the sexist here.
    I see plenty of threads about guys breaking road rules, and doing stupid things, but no one comes on spouting about gender issues.

Have you nothing to do but come on here and try and make a issue out of something that isn't an issue. The fact is that the OP saw a WOMAN drive doing something utterly reckless behind the wheel. Accept it.

Its the 'one of our safe lady drivers' comment I objected to..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Saw a girl in with L plates up and the boyfriend in the car yesterday, trying to turn right across 3 lanes of traffic, which she would have had to cross a hatched markings to do so, completely oblivious to the danger, illegality.. and the roundabout 50m down the road to her left..
    TK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

fits wrote:
    posted by you in another thread... How is this relevant???

Because they were all female, because it was foggy, because they had no lights on, because it was a narrow road, they were all facts. How is it sexist too report facts?
    Am I 'weather-ist" because I said it was foggy?

Maybe the reason you didn't have too dig too hard is probably because there are more bad female drivers out there than you would care to admit to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

kbannon wrote:
    Priceless!

Don't know about driving the wrong way on a motorway but I often see people reversing on them (esp. the M50). Only last week I saw some 'story bud' skanger in his modded 106 (L-Plates and all!) (very) slowly edging his way backwards towards the Tallaght exit ramp.

Why didn't he justy drive straight over and back onto the M50 :confused:

prospect wrote:

Maybe the reason you didn't have too dig too hard is probably because there are more bad female drivers out there than you would care to admit to.

I'll admit to it, theres a lot of bad female drivers out there! Some are less skilled than most men but thats probably because some men view driving as proof of their masculinity. It doesnt mean all female drivers are bad drivers though... Not by a long way.
    Once again, I'll give you the stats 370 dead on the roads last year, 270 were male. Both genders are guilty of bad driving albeit generally in different ways.

I'm generally a good driver, but sometimes I do make mistakes. I'd like these to be attributed to me as an individual rather than me as a woman driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

layke wrote:
    Why didn't he justy drive straight over and back onto the M50 :confused:
    he was reversing back up the M50 to get to the off ramp, not reversing back down the ramp...

fitz wrote:
    Once again, I'll give you the stats 370 dead on the roads last year, 270 were male.
    and once again we will ask you for the break down in male /female drivers for the same period.

Maybe 1% of drivers are women, using your "facts" that makes them incredibly worse drivers than men.

GreeBo wrote:
    and once again we will ask you for the break down in male /female drivers for the same period.

Maybe 1% of drivers are women, using your "facts" that makes them incredibly worse drivers than men.

Ah come on! Thats complete bull. Perhaps Monday to Friday 9-5 there are more men driving on the roads, but thats not when the majority of fatal accidents occur is it?
    I'm sure there is a good reason why insurance companies assign more risk to young male drivers (even if they perhaps abuse this). Yeah its probably because they're riskier to insure... funnily enough!

fits wrote:
    I'll admit to it, theres a lot of bad female drivers out there! Some are less skilled than most men but thats probably because some men view driving as proof of their masculinity.
    I would agree with this. And certainly I would be inclined to say, some women are becominging increasingly agressive

fits wrote:
    It doesnt mean all female drivers are bad drivers though... Not by a long way
    Once again, I agree. It is completely irrational to say all men or women are good/bad drivers. If life was only that simple.

fits wrote:
    Once again, I'll give you the stats 370 dead on the roads last year, 270 were male.
    I don't think this stastic means a whole lot. For a start, some of these unfortunate people were pedestrians, and alot were passengers. Also, the person killed is not always the person at fault, take the example of the circus trailer disconnecting from the truck and killing the people in the car behind.
    Also, I think you will find that there are far more male drivers on the roads than female. I had dinner once with a senior manager of hibernian insurance. He confirmed that there are far more accidents caused by women, but these are usually minor. But, more fatal/serious injury accidents are caused by male drivers.

But I still stand by my first post. The OP is only telling a story, and to turn it into a gender issue is more sexist than anything he said.

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    Ah come on! Thats complete bull. Perhaps Monday to Friday 9-5 there are more men driving on the roads, but thats not when the majority of fatal accidents occur is it?
    So what you are saying is that if you only look at actual accidents then men have more than women?
    Ehh hello? That just proves our point.
    If there are more men driving on the roads 9-5 then surely there should be loads more accidents if men are worse drivers?

You cant prove anything with dodgy stats like you have.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its not an accurate reflection of male Vs female drivers to simply say that of those that died last year, 270 were male. How many of those that died were pedestrians, cyclists, passengers, etc.? Was the incident caused by the driver that died or was it a surviving driver that caused it?
    Males may or may not be responsible for the majority of fatalities but to group all deceased males into the one category is not accurate!

GreeBo wrote:
    So what you are saying is that if you only look at actual accidents then men have more than women?
    Ehh hello? That just proves our point.
    If there are more men driving on the roads 9-5 then surely there should be loads more accidents if men are worse drivers?

You cant prove anything with dodgy stats like you have.

They're not dodgy stats they're real numbers! You can twist it any way you want.
    If you want to do a statistical study on the amount of drivers on the roads, their age profile, whether drink driving or drugs (prescription or other wise) are involved, I'd be very interested in reading it.
    For now, all we can go on is the actual fatality numbers, and the risk assigned by insurance companies to each group... all of which would imply that men are more dangerous drivers.
    If you have any actual numbers to the contrary, you have a genuine argument. Until then, you are just talking out of your behind.

fits wrote:
    They're not dodgy stats they're real numbers! You can twist it any way you want.
    You are twisting it to prove your point mate.
    I dont actually have a feeling for which category are the worse drivers.

Can you not see that your numbers in isolation dont prove anything?
    What if there were only 100 women drivers on the road. By your stats they all died so therefore all women drivers are crap and will kill themselves on the road.
    Numbers like that alone are worse than useless, they get used as facts by people such as yourself.

fits wrote:
    If you have any actual numbers to the contrary, you have a genuine argument. Until then, you are just talking out of your behind.
    If you read my post above then you will see that Greebo isn't the only one talking from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Sorry to go back on topic, that Maynooth junction is a nightmare. I pass it every day, on heading to Dublin, a lot of cars joining the M4 tend to head straight to the outside lane andf then build up their speed. Very annoying and dangerous when you have already moved over to let them onto the motorway and then to get all sorts of gestures because you blow or flash them.
    Heading west is nearly as bad, Cars will fly past in the outside lane and at the last minute force their way into the inside lane so the can make the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

IMO, the OP's comment "one of our safe lady drivers" was meant to highlight the fact that gross generalisations aren't helpful and there are always exceptions. You say it's unfair to lump all lady drivers into the same category, and I agree. But you then appear to be happy enough to do the same where it helps your argument (the comment about insurance companies and young male drivers).

What's sauce for the goose, etc.

S Very annoying and dangerous when you have already moved over to let them onto the motorway and then to get all sorts of gestures because you blow or flash them.
    Should it be a rule of the road to move into the outside lane (or at least leave one inside lane free) around on ramps?
    I think they are the most dangerous part of a motorway and people either fly on with no regard or come to a complete stop as they cant get in.

OK lets take it from now on that the OP wasn't generalising and focus on the idiot driver rather than wimmin as a whole!

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Shouldn't have to move anywhere, that's what merging lanes are for.
    TK
    Merging lanes that are sometimes only 100m long and on motorways when there is only 1 driving lane are a bit useless when the road is anyway busy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's always been my belief that in "normal" driving conditions (9-5, going to work etc) that men are safer, more competent drivers than women and have fewer crashes. But the majority of crashes that occur during these times do not result in death or serious injury.

Now OTOH on weekend nights:
    a) most of the cars on the road are being driven by males
    b) there is a lot of irresponsible behaviour and bad driving. Young idiots showing off to their mates, older idiots falling asleep at the wheel or drink driving, drunk pedestrians falling in front of cars etc.
    c) even though there are far fewer cars on the road than during the day, there are many fatal and serious crashes which result in big claims.

The above skews the statistics. If you are a male who doesn't drive dangerously on a saturday night you are probably less of an insurance risk than most women drivers.

GreeBo wrote:
    Can you not see that your numbers in isolation dont prove anything?
    What if there were only 100 women drivers on the road. By your stats they all died so therefore all women drivers are crap and will kill themselves on the road.

Yes I can see that the numbers dont prove anything in isolation. I made a deduction, based on the fact that I 'think' most fatal accidents occur at weekends when I 'think' the numbers of each gender on the road are fairly even.
    But there are no good numbers available to us, so yeah they dont prove anything. I would be very interested in seeing a good statistical breakdown of road accidents and their causes, I'd actually love to do it myself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Yes but we are talking about a Motorway, if you are merging onto a busy N road then you would yield, not barge on.. I deleted the original post because it's been done to death. It's knowing how to merge is the problem, people generally do not "accelerate" to join.. they just join the road, without regard for traffic currently on the Motorway. IN the UK its called an "acceleration lane"

The new rules of the raod says you can move into the outside lane or middle lane depending of the size of motorway to facilitate merging traffic, but you should be under no obligation to do so, and should be the exemption to the rule .. rather than the rule. You are basically facilitating someone to join a motorway by changing lanes, because they can not join correctly in the first place.
    TK

prospect wrote:
    He confirmed that there are far more accidents caused by women, but these are usually minor. But, more fatal/serious injury accidents are caused by male drivers.

That would make sense to me...

The OPs post wasnt overly sexist, but there is an undercurrent on this forum, and I just objected to this one. I think I'm a pretty good driver, but when I make a mistake, like everyone does occasionally, the 'woman driver' label really really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

fits wrote:
    Yes I can see that the numbers dont prove anything in isolation. I made a deduction, based on the fact that I 'think' most fatal accidents occur at weekends when I 'think' the numbers of each gender on the road are fairly even.
    I think that during the week there are fairly even numbers of each gender on the road with the men probably travelling higher mileage.

But on weekend nights, the vast majority of cars that I see are being driven by males. And a good proportion of these males are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GreeBo wrote:
    Merging lanes that are sometimes only 100m long and on motorways when there is only 1 driving lane are a bit useless when the road is anyway busy...
    the current merging lane onto the n11 from bray south is a joke at the moment - i would say its less tehn 100m, and its a steel barrier on the left. To compound the problem, its a 60kph zone (which makes sense considering the roadworks and length of the merging lane) but few people ON the n11 stick to this as they are coming up to the entrance - so it can't be tough to get the car out. I've got out fine most mornings, only one morning almost led to me losing the side off my car, but i leave fairly easrly in the morning so it isn't that busy and cars can actually move to the right. I'd hate to have to make the attempt a bit later on with more traffic moving at speed in the left lane.

fits wrote:
    I think I'm a pretty good driver, but when I make a mistake, like everyone does occasionally, the 'woman driver' label really really annoys me.

That is fair enough, however, when I get an insurance quote, like everyone does occasionally, the 'male driver' label annoys me an awful lot more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Oh bloody hell, maybe I should have said an incompetent dangerous fool was attempting to drive the wrong way down a motorway slip road and just left out the reference to "safe woman driver". Of course, then I'd get the pc crowd complaining that I shouldn't tag all fools as being incompetent and/or dangerous:rolleyes: .

Fact is, it was a woman driver in a car with an L plate attempting to drive the wrong way onto a motorway (and if she is a learner, she shouldn't be on a motorway in the first place!!).

I put the "safe woman driver" in italics not because I think all women are bad drivers but because they like to quote from statistics about how they are a lower risk than male drivers. Well I've been driving since 1987 (I'm pretty tired now:D ) and I've only been in 3 accidents during which I was the passenger. And who was driving I hear you ask, well it was a different woman in each instance -

one overturned her car on a wet road while travelling round a bend too fast

another crashed into a skip in broad daylight

the last ran into the back of a stationary car.

Of course I've been in many cars with good women drivers but there are also a lot of women on the roads who are thinking about whether the boyfriend still loves them, whether the girls are talking about her, if she should have worn the shorter skirt for driving etc etc, when they should be concentrating on whats in front of them.

And finally, the constant references to the boyracers on a Saturday night are off topic. They are not male drivers, just pimply faced little geeks with bumfluff on their top lips who have evolved just enough to know the pedal on the right makes them go but haven't a clue what the one in the middle is for. Its just evolution at work through natural selection when they erase themselves from existence each weekend. Makes the roads just that little bit safer knowing these morons are now worm food. Sorry for this callous rant but I live near Mondello in Kildare which is a Mecca for these eejits in their souped up bangers and I'm sick of them booting past my house down a narrow country road at 100km+. I've kept my kids out of the front garden as I'm sure you all remember the ad were a boy is playing football in the garden when a drunk male driver flips his car over and comes crashing through the fence and kills the kid. Well that situation could happen to me as these idiots regularly clip my front fence with their wing mirrors.

Of course I've been in many cars with good women drivers but there are also a lot of women on the roads who are thinking about whether the boyfriend still loves them, whether the girls are talking about her, if she should have worn the shorter skirt for driving etc etc, when they should be concentrating on whats in front of them.
    You forgot period pains! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

kbannon wrote:
    You forgot period pains! :D

And PMS - as any guy knows that turns even the sweetest young thing into a raving lunatic - who's allowed to operate a ton of metal on the road. Perhaps a case for banning them for driving one week out of every four.:D

Stands back and awaits onslaught - only kidding girls. I love you all really;)

Advertisement