Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom First Play

Options
  • 10-04-2007 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I'll ask the obvious question. Why Linkin Park? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Why not broaden the question Ger, Why linkin park in the first place?
    God is one twisted mofo yo.
    *throws bottles at the stage*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Smurfpiss wrote:
    Why not broaden the question Ger, Why linkin park in the first place?
    God is one twisted mofo yo.
    *throws bottles at the stage*

Because the kids need gateway band before they get into Limp Bizkit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

because some people like Linken Park?? Just because you don't means that they shouldn't have it as a first play?

Now I'm not their greatest fan, but i know people who love them as much as you love Arcade Fire. Its just a matter of taste Ger.

because some people like Linken Park?? Just because you don't means that they shouldn't have it as a first play?

Now I'm not their greatest fan, but i know people who love them as much as you love Arcade Fire. Its just a matter of taste Ger.

Yea but in fairness the people who like them aren't exactly numerous amongst Phantom listeners.

Have you done a survey or something? I'd say a lot of phantom listeners like Linkin Park. With the vast array of genres that Phantom plays every day I'm sure their are plenty of them.

And i'm also sure that Phantom think about which song they pick as a Firstplay.

• Advertisement

Have you done a survey or something? I'd say a lot of phantom listeners like Linkin Park. With the vast array of genres that Phantom plays every day I'm sure their are plenty of them.

And i'm also sure that Phantom think about which song they pick as a Firstplay.

Ah Monkey Lover I didn't start this topic to cause an argument. I just mean Linkin Park is not exactly a Phantom favourite nor particularly well looked upon by the Dublin Alt-rock scene. They seem like a odd choice. I just started this thread to ask why they are this weeks first play.

I think I'll just cut to the heart of the matter. Is the Phantom first play a track that Phantom thinks needs exposure or is it a piece of paid advertising? If its an advert you should really say so, if not I am deeply sorry for suggesting it (honestly, I hate asking this stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I think I'll just cut to the heart of the matter. Is the Phantom first play a track that Phantom thinks needs exposure or is it a piece of paid advertising? If its an advert you should really say so, if not I am deeply sorry for suggesting it (honestly, I hate asking this stuff)

like "warning! warning! this is an advertisment!"?
    Well It's in association with hmv so make of that what you will. same way texts are in association with 3, but that doesn't influence what texts are read.

So tis just a song. it has an audience but it won't last more than a few weeks!
    (don't worry this generations angst rock is that emo crap. Linkin park aint in touch with the teenagers these days...:rolleyes: )

Smurfpiss wrote:
    like "warning! warning! this is an advertisment!"?
    Well It's in association with hmv so make of that what you will. same way texts are in association with 3, but that doesn't influence what texts are read.

So tis just a song. it has an audience but it won't last more than a few weeks!
    (don't worry this generations angst rock is that emo crap. Linkin park aint in touch with the teenagers these days...:rolleyes: )

Well nothing THAT dramatic. Just make it clear that its an advert. Possibly call it the HMV first play or not include it in the music master segment.

As for your other point remember the good old days back at the start of the century? When Nu-Metal ruled the Earth and Rollin was being voted the greatest rock song off all time on MTV (beating smells like teen sprite into number 2)? Ah what a terrible time for music. Kids today don't know what they missed :D

Possibly call it the HMV first play or not include it in the music master segment.

that is what its called isn't it? :confused:

• Advertisement

that is what its called isn't it? :confused:

No its called the Phantom first play in association with HMV. If HMV is in control of the choice (and we have no confirmation of that, this is all speculation) calling it the HMV first play would be far more honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi Everyone. I'm using Brian D's login to respond. It's John Caddell here, Phantom's Head Of Music. Just like to clear up a couple of things

1. Gerard, Linkin Park is the Phantom firstplay because listeners are interested in new music, and this is LP's first new single in four years.

2. It's sponsored by HMV, and I select the song each week

3. Quote: "Yea but in fairness the people who like them aren't exactly numerous amongst Phantom listeners". How do you know, Gerard? Have you done a survey? If so, please send me the results. Anyway, isn't it Phantom 's job to expose people to new music? If you want wall-to-wall "old favourites", or playlists that are market-researched to death, there's plenty of other stations you can go to. EVERYTHING on the playlist is there because we think people would like to hear it. Simple as that.

4. Quote: "I think I'll just cut to the heart of the matter. Is the Phantom first play a track that Phantom thinks needs exposure or is it a piece of paid advertising? If its an advert you should really say so". Do you really think for a second that money influences the Phantom playlist? That should be obvious to you when you hear the amount of new bands we play. More than anyone else.

That's my last word on the matter.

Regards

John Caddell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slippery1

Hi guys,

I think I agree with Gerard on this one. Phantom is meant to be ALTERNATIVE and not so in the charts music. Its music for people with brains IMHO. But to have Linkin Park on your playlist is a bit strange. Id have considered them pop music. Plain and simple pop. Its just strange to find it being played on phantom. Phantom are a beacon of good tunes in a sea of complete dirt but Linkin Park??? I just dont get it!!! :D

Also fair play to you for coming on and giving your reasons for playing it. Respect.

BrianD wrote:
    Hi Everyone. I'm using Brian D's login to respond. It's John Caddell here, Phantom's Head Of Music. Just like to clear up a couple of things

1. Gerard, Linkin Park is the Phantom firstplay because listeners are interested in new music, and this is LP's first new single in four years.

2. It's sponsored by HMV, and I select the song each week

3. Quote: "Yea but in fairness the people who like them aren't exactly numerous amongst Phantom listeners". How do you know, Gerard? Have you done a survey? If so, please send me the results. Anyway, isn't it Phantom 's job to expose people to new music? If you want wall-to-wall "old favourites", or playlists that are market-researched to death, there's plenty of other stations you can go to. EVERYTHING on the playlist is there because we think people would like to hear it. Simple as that.

4. Quote: "I think I'll just cut to the heart of the matter. Is the Phantom first play a track that Phantom thinks needs exposure or is it a piece of paid advertising? If its an advert you should really say so". Do you really think for a second that money influences the Phantom playlist? That should be obvious to you when you hear the amount of new bands we play. More than anyone else.

That's my last word on the matter.

Regards

John Caddell

I appreciate your candour John. First I want to make it clear that I did not mean to impugn Phantoms good intentions or it (and your) commitment to music. I just worry, I'm born to it, and I worry so much about the things I love (I think I would make a nightmare of a father) I had to know this for my own piece of mind and I thank you for answering. And you can also understand why the choice of song seemed odd can't you? Its Linkin Park. I am so so sorry if you found any of this insulting, that was not my intention. You know yourself how much I care for Phantom, however this might look I can assure you it came from as right a place as these things can. Please don't hold it against me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slippery1

I appreciate your candour John. First I want to make it clear that I did not mean to impugn Phantoms good intentions or it (and your) commitment to music. I just worry, I'm born to it, and I worry so much about the things I love (I think I would make a nightmare of a father) I had to know this for my own piece of mind and I thank you for answering. And you can also understand why the choice of song seemed odd can't you? Its Linkin Park. I am so so sorry if you found any of this insulting, that was not my intention. You know yourself how much I care for Phantom, however this might look I can assure you it came from as right a place as these things can. Please don't hold it against me.

Aww great post Gerard. See Phantom? We love you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Eddie Specs

sometimes having the same old stuff can sound tiresome- I've playlisted student radio and students who are well into their rock sometimes like acts that are a bit more pop.

Phantom may be a rock station, but its my understanding it has an obligation as part of it's license to play a wide spectrum of types of rock, including some which acts which some might view as really cheesy or uncool.

Did you ever fill up your iPod with really cool stuff then realise it all kinda sounds the same or you just don't find it fun listening to it? Well, that's the balancing act stations with a bit more music credibility have to execute.

just my two cents of course ;)

sometimes having the same old stuff can sound tiresome- I've playlisted student radio and students who are well into their rock sometimes like acts that are a bit more pop.

Phantom may be a rock station, but its my understanding it has an obligation as part of it's license to play a wide spectrum of types of rock, including some which acts which some might view as really cheesy or uncool.

Did you ever fill up your iPod with really cool stuff then realise it all kinda sounds the same or you just don't find it fun listening to it? Well, that's the balancing act stations with a bit more music credibility have to execute.

just my two cents of course ;)

No I have never done that. I do actually enjoy the music I listen to and there is fine variety to be found in quality music (and it about the quality not the cool ;))

Advertisement