Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to overcome leg cramps in marathons

• 10-04-2007 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've done various marathons over recent years. In pretty much all of them I've cramped at the back of the hamstring at the low to middling 20 mile stage. In each I managed to walk / slow jog / walk to the end but in each case its taken the gloss of a run or its of course impacted a possible good time (for me at least :) )

I'm happy with the training I do - I do the miles and get sufficient long runs in.
    I hydrate very well over the course of the race and I take some energy gels over the course of the race.
    I've got better at moderating my pace to be more consistent pace-wise over the course of the race.
    Anyone any ideas what else I could be doing to overcome this issue? Particularly interested in hearing advice from anyone who had managed to overcome this kind of thing themselves and how they did it?
    I've had a suggestion from a few people to take salt tablets - the theory being that salt loss due to sweat loss is the underlying issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It's unlikely that electrolyte loss is the problem over marathon distance if you race in temperate climates. How long have you been running? How long does a marathon take you? Do you train on terrain similar to your races? Each of these could have a baring.

I hammered my quads in the first few marathons I did. I think it was partly because I was new to running and partly because I did a lot of treadmill training. I've no problems now.

If you really think it is salt loss (or hypoatremia from drinking too much water) then you can take something like nuun tablets. try them in training and see what you think. I use them for ironman races because I'm out there a long time usually in hot climates and I think they're worth it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hunnymonster, I have never tried Nunn tablets but have heard good reports about them, can you get them over here or do you need to order them online?

Odysseus, I ordered mine online from the makers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cheers.

I'm 38 and running for 4 years. I've done 8 marathons, all reasonably consistently despite my problem. Worst time 3.50. Best time 3.28. Most of my training runs on on tarmac roads with some hills / forest tracks thrown in for good measure. All in all I've matched well to the terrain of races I've done.

I'll definitely have a go at those tablets as I'm at a loss as to what else to try.

yep certainly sounds like you're doing things right. The only other thing I can think of is that you're not topping up the glycogen in your muscles properly and this is causing the cramps. If the problem persists, why not get a physiotherapist to have a look. (S)he'll be an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Train harder. Cover much more mileage than you are currently undertaking and that way the marathon will be 'a walk in the park'. its no coincidence that it is rare for elite marathoners to 'hit the wall' as they train a lot more than the average individual. i had the same problem as yourself and significantly increasing my mileage helped me greatly.
    good luck with the training.

Hi,

Thats a fair point but such is the stretched work life balance with commuting and family that more miles in the legs isn't a particular option.

That said, the body is a strange thing. Today, with a troubled prep and with only 5-6 weeks since my last hampered marathon I ran a cramp free marathon in Belfast with nothing specific done to address things! Training in recent weeks had actually been minimal. Throw in a PB aswell and I was well happy with my day. Running can be surprising sometimes... :rolleyes:

Regards

congrats on the PB. How are the legs feeling today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I ran a PB in Belfast yesterday too. Got a slight cramp at 22 miles but stretched it out at a water station and ran on from there.

I'm back in work today and legs aren't too bad. Not as soar as previous marathons.

Hi,

Well done robbi.

Took the day off to rest up! Legs aren't too bad. The post race massage was a lifesaver and when I got home last night I did the cold bath thing - normally something that I'm too soft to try. Main problem today is my historically dodgey left ankle which has stiffened up leaving me with a pronounced limp. I expect I'll ease out over the next 2 days and expect to be doing some sort of run, even if just a half hour at the weekend. Before I know it it'll be time to run in Cork. :)

Regards,

Mick

• Advertisement

See you in Cork!

Advertisement