Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dolly legality?

Options
  • 10-04-2007 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was offered a car dolly (trailer for transporting cars, by only front axle) but a co-worker advised against it - they're allegedly illegal now because they have 2 swivel points. I've seen a few being used around the town in the past few months, was talking to a guy today who confirmed that they are illegal - yet he towed a car into the garage to have some work done on it!!
    Does anyone use one, if so, have you been stopped? I was looking forward to getting it - cheap alternative to a trailer which would be in the region of €1.5k+
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Will you be transporting different types of cars or just the one? Quite apart from the issue of legality, car dollies are unsuitable for towing many cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I used one in the past when I worked in the motor trade.
    I haven't heard anything about them being 'illegal'.

I was told that the older type Harvey Frost dolly (i.e. the type that uses chains to lift the car) is now "illegal" , but I suspect that they are just not used now as modern cars don't have big chassis rails on the front (where the chains could be attached) like old cars used to.

I have also used an A-Frame lots of times. Very handy, but also very easy to 'jack knife' going around corners if you're not careful!

To be safe ..... and properly insured/road legal ..... I'd say go for the car transporter.

Pics.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'd love to get a transporter, but couldn't justify the cost right now - It'd only be for personal use and only a couple of times a year. (I was offered the dolly for €250!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree with Silvera, a flat bed with a winch is by far the best solution. A-frame would be a good second option. I haven't seen to may recovery trucks using a dolly in a while, but I've heard nothing about them being illegal either.

what is an a-frame?

• Advertisement

What exactly would you be using it for?

....towing in broken down/crashed cars?
    .....bringing a classic car to a show?
    .....towing a stock car to rally?

If it was for the first option, I would consider it, but if it was for option 2 and 3 Id say no.

Also, is it a localy-made (i.e. home made) dolly, or a factory-made (i.e. UK sourced) dolly ?

If it's locally-made you'd need to be sure the welding is of a high standard.

A-Frame..........

When an A-Frame is attached to a car, you don't need a second driver to steer the towed car......it steers itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rrv8

Have read somewhere recently about the legallity of dollies and a-frames
    Technically if you use one ,you are towing as if it was a trailer, then over 750kg it has to be braked
    Braked towing dollies are available but not cheap
    Would recomend a decent factory biult flat bed or beaver tail trailer with removable sides any day , more than one use then

it'd be used for towing non-running cars (don't bother with crashed cars)
    an a-frame and dolly are essentially the same??

Advertisement