Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Window fallen into door

Options
  • 10-04-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 03 Ibiza and the front passenger window has fallen into the door.

It is like the lever that moves the window up and down is broken.

How much is it going to cost me to get it fixed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say the window has come off the mechanism - or possible the cable has snapped. It may be just a matter of remounting the window glass, but there is a good chance that the mechanism is broken.

EDIT: A new mech could cost a few quid - I'd imagine a main dealer is going to charge anywhere from €250 and up. I'd say two (maybe three) hour labour plus the cost of the part(s).

In the meantime, if you can, remove the interior trim panel and jam the window up using two suitable lengths of timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thanks mate

I trying to contact someone who is a mechanic and hopefully he can do a job to close the window so the car will be safe for the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The MKIV Golf has dodgy regulator clips, two of these clips hold the window in place and move it up and down. Perhaps it's the same deal with the Ibiza, find and enthusiats forum for help. The original VW part is plastic and doesn't last. VW wanted €270 to change mine but I bought the repair kit and did it myself for €60. The morons laughed when I said I was doing it myself. You could try and ask here if its a similar problem. http://uk-mkivs.net/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=window+regulators+AND+sectionid%3a16&o=Relevance

How to for the Golf http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

snap !!! my 03 ibiza did the same on the passenger side.

It is the regulator and a Seat dealer charged me about 200 quid for the pleasure !!!

Had it open there and the cable has snapped.

Thanks for the heads up on cost

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i had a similiar problem before so bought a completely new motor and actuator from a breakers yard for €40 and did it myself in about 45mins. can be a bit fiddly to get in and out though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Same happened on my Ibiza.(passenger side) Cable got tangled around the window regulator. Seat sell the whole thing as one part. The white/blue plastic bit the cable is wound up in,the cables and the black metal guides. €150:mad: it cost.
    If you do have a go at it yourself make sure you've a huge rivet gun. Those black metal guides that are riveted onto the silver metal inner door use big rivets. Any normal rivet gun won't take the rivets you get with the new parts.
    Mate of mine that's into preparing rallycross cars didn't even have a gun that would take the rivet so we ending up bolting the guides to the inner door liner. Most of the door comes apart quite easily,the only tricky part is the door lock mech and the wiring attached to it. Pig to remove.

BTW how many times has your rear window washer pipe come off or stopped working?? Another common fault with the Ibiza. 3 times Seat(dealer) said they sorted it. Seat(dealer) never fixed it properly even though they know all about it,so found the problem myself and sorted it with a cable strap.

The rear wipe has never came off as i never use it.

My mate who looked at it lat night to put the window up said that it poxy getting it open with what you said about the lock etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

My old 93 civic did it years ago after I slammed the door way too hard one night. Actuater (£20 from scrapyard!) had to be replaced and after lots of elbow grease I fixed it myself. Seems common enough in some cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

BTW how many times has your rear window washer pipe come off or stopped working?? Another common fault with the Ibiza. 3 times Seat(dealer) said they sorted it. Seat(dealer) never fixed it properly even though they know all about it,so found the problem myself and sorted it with a cable strap.

mine has stopped three times, once each winter (due to the cold?) and reattached at not extra cost during a service.

Is it a big job to secure it yourself?

• Advertisement

The Tax Man posted above about getting the whole carrier panel replaced. You may only need the repair kit for your car while has the regulator clips and the cable untake reel supplied. The dealers will try and force the carrier panel on you.

I had no choice,the cables got mangled around each other so much so I could do nothing with them. All I wanted was the cables and the white plastic bit.
    My mate knew people working in VW Seat and Skoda(tried to keep things cheap:D ) and they all said you can't just get the cables and the white plastic bit on their own. All I can say,getting and whole thing as one piece with the cables already in place made it so easy to refit. I had nightmares about the cables and refitting them properly and at correct lengths. We took most of it apart semi-blind cause we didn't take the inner panel off fully cause all I was interested in, at the time,was securing the window in place.So all the cables and window clips were taken out without us knowing what exactly they looked like before removal.
    If you can get just the parts you need even better cause if you do go down the road I did you will run into problems with the rivets.Not even the lazy tongue rivet gun we had,had a head big enough to take them.

@whippet. I found the pipe connected to the rear wiper was coming away.Just means removing the plastic panel from the boot door(2 or 4 screws) then carefully pulling till the clips pop out. Small cable strap around pipe connection stopped it coming apart. Seat just stuck it back on but didn't bother making sure it never happened again. They can also come apart within the engine bay somewhere under the battery tray.

Maybe the problem is more common with MKIV Golfs so the repair kit might only be available for them. Dickheads fix it for free in the UK but charge us to do it.

Rip Off Ireland for ya.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

FX Meister wrote:
    The MKIV Golf has dodgy regulator clips, two of these clips hold the window in place and move it up and down. Perhaps it's the same deal with the Ibiza, find and enthusiats forum for help. The original VW part is plastic and doesn't last. VW wanted €270 to change mine but I bought the repair kit and did it myself for €60. The morons laughed when I said I was doing it myself. You could try and ask here if its a similar problem. http://uk-mkivs.net/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=window+regulators+AND+sectionid%3a16&o=Relevance

How to for the Golf http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

Pure legend! Cheers for that link dude, same thing just happened the passenger window of my 00 GTI during the week!

It's a good time to change the speakers in your door if you're so inclined as you will have the panel off. If you are doing one you might as well do the other side to as it will go too. Your's lasted a while, mine's a 03 and it went at christmas.

Advertisement