Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 and HDMI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

AFAIK, MS hav'nt confirmed a release date yet. You can still get 1080p out of the xbox without hdmi though. So cant see how hdmi is all that important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Yeah, it has VGA so you could do 1080p on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

AFAIK: The elite will run in limited supply as a black console with HDMI, outputting 1080p, currently you can't get 1080p from component, but you can from VGA.

The other thing is that there are no games that currently support 1080p (all will be able to upscale from 1080i), only HD DVD supports 'Full HD'.

When the black elite finishes it's run, you'll be able to pick one up in the regular white casing with HDMI, but with no release date here for either, it's really anyone's guess when they'll arrive on Irish shores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Fairly close johnnyflav, but the facts are:

New 360 elite model with hdmi and larger hard drive, will not be limited edition but rather a new package.

Component can do 1080p, but it actually depends on whether your tv accepts 1080p over component.

There are two games currently available that output in native 1080p, but these are mainly low intensive sports games, i.e. the NBA basketball game is one. Cant remember the name.

No release date for Europe, nor any idea's about trade-ins for older 360s.

EDIT: Also, just took a look at the specs on that tv, and I'm confused. The supported video formats only go up to 1080i.

Finally, VGA currently upscales standard def content(DVD's) to whatever the output is set to, component doesn't. I dont know if HDMI will do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

johnnyflav wrote:
    AFAIK: The elite will run in limited supply as a black console with HDMI, outputting 1080p, currently you can't get 1080p from component, but you can from VGA.

The other thing is that there are no games that currently support 1080p (all will be able to upscale from 1080i), only HD DVD supports 'Full HD'.

When the black elite finishes it's run, you'll be able to pick one up in the regular white casing with HDMI, but with no release date here for either, it's really anyone's guess when they'll arrive on Irish shores.
    The Black Elite isn't limited edition its becoming a permanent new SKU, there has been no white one announced like there was rumoured. You can get 1080p from component and Virtua Tennis 3 and some NBA game already support 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

THis is why I hate the fact that they didn't settle on a standard before they released HDTV's. There's so much confusion now.

See here

That says the display format is 1080i too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

When the black Elite edition runs out it will be replaced by a regular white version which is what I read on the AV forums where that MS rep posts (or at least I think that's what was said).

(Although if they are going to the trouble of making accessories in black it might hang around longer but in lower numbers with two SKU's one black & one white but with the white being the more common of the two)

THis is why I hate the fact that they didn't settle on a standard before they released HDTV's. There's so much confusion now.

See here

That says the display format is 1080i too.

1080i is a standard it came before 1080p because the hardware wasn't capable at the time which was the era when HDTV's where in use in USA/Japan for a few years before they became readily available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

8T8 wrote:
    When the black Elite edition runs out it will be replaced by a regular white version which is what I read on the AV forums where that MS rep posts (or at least I think that's what was said).
    That was the rumour going around before it was officially announced but its not true.

8T8 wrote:
    1080i is a standard it came before 1080p because the hardware wasn't capable at the time which was the era when HDTV's where in use in USA/Japan for a few years before they became readily available here.

Yeah, it's more the technical one-up-manship that goes on that I hate. One company comes out with 1080i, then another comes out with 1080p, causing the first company to bring out 1080p products, and along the way, the unwary consumer gets shafted.

Tis the price of progress I suppose. I dont really mind upgrading components in my computer, but plonking down two grand for a tv that's not top of the line a weeke or two later is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

CatInABox wrote:
    Finally, VGA currently upscales standard def content(DVD's) to whatever the output is set to, component doesn't.

Has anyone got a comparison of these two (VGA and component), DVD's are played in 576p on my TV from the xbox connected via component.

Anyone think it'd be worth changing the cable?

EDIT: Found this in the mean time, answered my question
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055069917&referrerid=&highlight=component+vga

• Advertisement
Advertisement