Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapes to mp3s??

• 10-04-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

This probably is in the wrong section but is there an easy/cheap way to turn cassette tapes(audio) into mp3 files via pc, without buying an expensive converter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If you have a tape deck with an audio output (not the headphone socket) and a sound card with a line in (most do) then you are laughing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

JDxtra wrote:
    (not the headphone socket)
    I used the headphone socket before for this... came out ok once I found the right volume.
    Did I risk frying my soundcard or something, or is this a no-no purely on quality grounds? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

you could always try one of these...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

decob wrote:
    you could always try one of these...
    Damn, that is the coolest thing I've seen all week.
    I wonder if they have an 8-track player :D

I used the headphone socket before for this... came out ok once I found the right volume.
    Did I risk frying my soundcard or something, or is this a no-no purely on quality grounds? :confused:
    It will sound too base-y and distorted if the volume is not low because the signal is already amplified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The techincal term being Pre-amp ;)

(Thought since I'm mod of the board I should contribute ;))

John

Lump wrote:
    The techincal term being Pre-amp ;)

(Thought since I'm mod of the board I should contribute ;))

John
    Cheers, I know there had to be a word for it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

JDxtra wrote:
    If you have a tape deck with an audio output (not the headphone socket) and a sound card with a line in (most do) then you are laughing...
    kk, that sounds simplest!! I don't have one but I'm sure my techie cousin has one! thanks guys

Advertisement